Postion players aren't the problem

Baltimorecuse

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

8th most runs scored, but 3rd best record.  That tells me the pitching is "holding up", and then some.

Simple math.....if the pitching was league average, then we'd have the 8th best record, not the 3rd.

What am I missing here?

297 Runs and 276 Runs Allowed.

That tells me that the team is overachieving and that it is unlikely to continue.

• Upvote 2

There's more than one way to score more runs than your opponent.  The easiest way for this team to improve is offensively.  It does add a bit of risk replacing vets with rookies.  But the vets who would lose ABs have gaps in their game.

I don't think a true MOO is required (though of course it would help).  I don't think a true TOR SP is required (though of course it would help too).  I think consistent contributors up/down the lineup, rotation, BP, in the field, and on the bench will compete any given night.  And we have ways to improve a few lagging roles as ready as they'll ever be in the system now.

Hoping that Super 2 is D-Day for the next wave.  If we don't see a prospect or three in the next week or two, then we should be out of our rough patch (or questions should be asked).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

There's more than one way to score more runs than your opponent.  The easiest way for this team to improve is offensively.  It does add a bit of risk replacing vets with rookies.  But the vets who would lose ABs have gaps in their game.

I don't think a true MOO is required (though of course it would help).  I don't think a true TOR SP is required (though of course it would help too).  I think consistent contributors up/down the lineup, rotation, BP, in the field, and on the bench will compete any given night.  And we have ways to improve a few lagging roles as ready as they'll ever be in the system now.

Hoping that Super 2 is D-Day for the next wave.  If we don't see a prospect or three in the next week or two, then we should be out of our rough patch (or questions should be asked).

I'm inclined to think that the Super 2 deadline has passed. 

3 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

I'm looking at the wall and concluding that it's the hardest wall in the league to clear.

Once you get to the right of that wall, which is about 2/3 of the field, the dimensions are pretty friendly.  A ball hit to LCF can get out that would not be a homer in most ballparks.  However, the wall obviously has a significant impact.   The O’s have hit 29 homers at home, 42 on the road.  They’ve allowed 32 at home, 40 on the road.  (To be clear, they’ve played 29 games at home, 33 on the road.)

There are plenty of reasons why this group of position players are a concern as of the time of this posting. When you look at some of the perennial contenders' rosters, you'll notice that they're all full of 6-7 above average hitters. Multiple superstars. Their lows aren't all that low, nor do they last all that long. They're also capable of reaching highs that we are not without massive over-production. So yes, we need a legitimate MOO bat. We need Mullins to come back. We need Cowser up and mashing from RF everyday. We need Kjerstad doing the same. Gunnar seems to be turning the corner. Sooner or later, Holiday will be giving us ++ production from shortstop. And someone else will hopefully be doing the same from 1b and 2b, because Mountcastle is fried and Fraizer is bound to turn into a pumpkin at some point, IMO.

This team has been playing well and not all that far over their heads, IMO, but it can get significantly better, and it should start to happen reasonably soon. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would be surprised to find out that the Reds promoted De La Cruz right before the cutoff.

The date won't be locked in until after the season, right?  So, there's no way for the Reds to "know" any more than the O's.  If that's true, then divisional/wildcard context matters comes into the decision.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

The date won't be locked in until after the season, right?  So, there's no way for the Reds to "know" any more than the O's.  If that's true, then divisional/wildcard context matters comes into the decision.

Sure they don't "know" but I bet they have some pretty detailed analysis about when the date will fall.

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

8th most runs scored, but 3rd best record.  That tells me the pitching is "holding up", and then some.

Simple math.....if the pitching was league average, then we'd have the 8th best record, not the 3rd.

What am I missing here?

That its early June and the goal is not have the 3rd best record in early June 

• Upvote 1

I think every team in every sport should look to improve all the time, even if it is only an incremental improvement.  But, these ideas need to be grounded in reality.  Jordan Westburg has played ZERO games at 1B in his pro career.  Kjerstad has begun playing some first at Bowie (since promoted), but the reports I've seen don't make it sound like he's a full-time replacement, i.e., he's no Keith Hernandez or Raffy Palmiero at first.  O'Hearn and Lester have been nice filler in a SSS, but looking at their career numbers, to think that either is a long-term replacement is pretty ridiculous.  I'm admittedly a disappointed Mountcastle fan, but I'm open to another 1st baseman.  Just not sure that the option in house are better. 

Now, if they start giving Cowser, a left-handed fielder vs. Kjerstad who bats lefty but fields righty, I think you might have an answer.  But, the Orioles obviously value him more in the outfield.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

You saw how good the offense looked when Mateo was hitting like a MOO batter in April. It was obviously unsustainable. Hopefully Cowser, Kjerstad or Henderson develop into that type of hitter over the next year. I'm losing hope Rutschman develops into more than a 2-hole hitter.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are just making stuff up and ignoring data.

Thanks for confirming.

I love stats but in general I don’t grasp how Park Factors works. 

Clearly the LF wall at Camden changed how the stadium plays. That said how else would a park change? Sure one year the weather could be drastically different I suppose. That said in general that really doesn’t happen. The thing that changes is the rosters and how players perform. 

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There aren’t too many “elite” offensive players. I went with top 20 in OPS+ from BR.  

Sport has 20 players with a 140 OPS+ or higher. Once again a stat based off of Park Factor on baseball-reference. 

Orioles lineup is built around depth. Mountcastle struggling is really being felt.