The season is 40% over and the O’s are on pace for 102 wins…

Frobby

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He literally says:

Lol. And Tony somehow interprets that as Frobby telling everyone how to fan and not letting people have their criticisms. Give me a break. 

You picked out one part.  The rest of his post reads the other way. 

I don’t personally have an issue with it like Tony does but it definitely has that vibe to it.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t personally have an issue with it like Tony does but it definitely has that vibe to it.

I don't disagree is has that vibe. I don't think that in any way warrants the kind of mudslinging at a valued member of the board. The guy is just reminding folks to enjoy, he's not imposing some kind of mandate on everyone. It's a shrug-worthy OP at best and at worst. If it's not your vibe just move along. Or explain why you think there's been a lot of criticism, which I did and I think is an interesting topic to explore. 

To come out here and say this is some big disappointing thread from a long-time poster... come on. It's just a thread. And then it's like, how many words can we shove in his mouth? To see Tony do all that was far more disappointing to me than this thread. Anyone who actually reads the threads knows that Frobby has his fair share of criticisms. Hilarious to think Frobby now has to "lie in his bed" and never utter a criticism again. Nonsense. What a terrible post.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Our division is super competitive.  On top of that, the AL is superior to the NL.  I think most would agree they will likely not maintain that 102 win pace without making any significant additions to the roster.  We could have a good season (90 wins?) and still miss the playoffs or just eek into the last wild card spot, rather than getting home field advantage in a WC matchup.  The teams ahead of us and just behind us are not pretenders. 

I'm very happy with our record and performance to date, but there is potential to be even better by making some logical additions and subtractions and sending underperformers to the bench.  

I think this is the key to most of the discussion. I'm not even sure why this is being questioned or being called whining. I doubt anyone on here is upset at where they are this year in the standings, but good lord this would be a boring place if all we discussed was how great they are. 

I see this kind of stuff on the Facebook page that I renamed Orioles Hangout Fanatics just to differentiate that place from here because I expect a higher sense of community and discussion here. I don't expect people to tell others how to fan or just blindly accept anything Hyde does because clearly he smarter than us. 

I'm incredibly happy where the Orioles sit right now, but I do think there are tweaks that they can do to improve the team and that is what this board is all about. Sharing those thoughts and having others give their thoughts.

Crazy, it's almost like this is a discussion board about the Orioles, not a rah-rah fan club.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

BUT, now that we have 'arrived' so to speak, I want us to be as good as we can possibly be.   As I said in another thread,  some get an A on their report card and are happy and content while others still strive to do better and get an A+.  We are playing A level baseball,  and that is awesome!  I'm loving it!  But at the same time it appears we have the potential to improve upon that A by simply promoting a few kids from our talented pipeline and sitting some guys whose bats have gone very cold.  Most contending teams are soon going to be trying to trade to improve their MLB roster, and we should do that also.  But we have our own internal options to improve the team now, without needing to get help from another organization.  Just makes sense to do so IMO.  Advocating for those changes doesn't mean I'm not appreciative of what they have accomplished to date or that I'm not immensely enjoying things.  Just means I'm not content to see us not playing up to our full potential.

That's fine.  But the zeitgeist on many days isn't that we're playing A level baseball looking for ways to improve.  It's that the sky is falling if X isn't benched or Y isn't called up.  The impression I get reading some posters is that we're playing D level baseball with glaring holes that even a rube could fix so why can't Elias?  Maybe that's an assumption on my/readers part, but it's constant.  And even providing context to 'stop and smell the roses' and enjoy the winning is seen as indifference or being a stooge for the regime.

I think @Moose Milligansummed it up well.  We don't what to do with a winning team.  Maybe it's the natural bent of a forum (or just people in general).  But I also think there's a paradigm shift that we haven't made.  We have Stockholm Syndrome to some degree.   So, we do what we know without seeing the big picture.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't disagree is has that vibe. I don't think that in any way warrants the kind of mudslinging at a valued member of the board. The guy is just reminding folks to enjoy, he's not imposing some kind of mandate on everyone. It's a shrug-worthy OP at best and at worst. If it's not your vibe just move along. Or explain why you think there's been a lot of criticism, which I did and I think is an interesting topic to explore. 

To come out here and say this is some big disappointing thread from a long-time poster... come on. It's just a thread. And then it's like, how many words can we shove in his mouth? To see Tony do all that was far more disappointing to me than this thread. Anyone who actually reads the threads knows that Frobby has his fair share of criticisms. Hilarious to think Frobby now has to "lie in his bed" and never utter a criticism again. Nonsense. What a terrible post.

First off, you can have any opinion of my post as you like. I don't really care.

My post did have a little hyperbole in it for a reason, to point out the ludicrous post that Frobby made where basically said the board is full of whining. 

Of course Frobby has had his share of criticisms or the team, which is why this post is so out in left field. But he basically said people need to stop whining and smell the roses. As a Frobbyite, and I know who you guys are, I'm always ready for the criticism that will get thrown my way whenever I dare disagree with Frobby. 

This is a discussion and all well thought out and hopefully stat-backed opinions are welcome. We are not going to start labeling people who want to have discussion or disagree with a lineup or move as whiners. just not going to happen. That might hurt your feelings and others who live in the unicorns and rainbows world, but discussion will always be allowed without being labeled as whining. 

If you guys wants to agree with everything Hyde, Elias and company do because the team is playing well, that is your very right. Just don't tell others how to fan or labeling discussion as whining.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would. You have to, at least GRod.

I think G-Rod comes back at some point.  Is that counting on him?  Dunno.

IMO, he just looked way lost and I think he's got a lot to unravel before becoming a positive contributor.  I think he's got a lot more to work on than anyone wants to admit.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Interloper is a Frobbyite who goes off on the slightest bit of citiscism directed at him. He's done this before and it's actually kind of funny how mad he gets over it all. Like, how DARE I say anything to longtime and respected poster! lol

Guess what, I like Frobby a lot, but he knows, as well as anything else that if i disagree with you, I'm going to disagree with you. Then when I agree with you right after, I'm going to agree with you. 

I've been doing this for 25 years. I can get into it with a poster in one thread and completely back them in another thread that I agree with. It's how I've always done things but some posters are a little more fragile than others.

I think you are a perfect example. I can get on about how you react to things and disagree with your points in one thread, but I'll be right behind you if I agree and have something to add. 

I just don't get all the "horror" over a post. I'm not even mad at Frobby. I'm disappointed in his post and told him that. But people are who they are!

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this is the key to most of the discussion. I'm not even sure why this is being questioned or being called whining. I doubt anyone on here is upset at where they are this year in the standings, but good lord this would be a boring place if all we discussed was how great they are. 

I see this kind of stuff on the Facebook page that I renamed Orioles Hangout Fanatics just to differentiate that place from here because I expect a higher sense of community and discussion here. I don't expect people to tell others how to fan or just blindly accept anything Hyde does because clearly he smarter than us. 

I'm incredibly happy where the Orioles sit right now, but I do think there are tweaks that they can do to improve the team and that is what this board is all about. Sharing those thoughts and having others give their thoughts.

Crazy, it's almost like this is a discussion board about the Orioles, not a rah-rah fan club.

Thanks for the negative rep! Nice to see you're able to handle some criticism on this board where criticism and discussion is apparently welcome.

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The impression I get reading some posters is that we're playing D level baseball with glaring holes that even a rube could fix so why can't Elias?  

No.   We are playing A level baseball with some glaring holes that even a rube could fix,  so Elias should!  😉

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The overwhelming majority of Orioles fans are pretty happy with this season, but this would be a pretty boring place if no one discussed anything. I think I understand the spirit of this thread, but you come across as Facebook-type poster who just believes the orioles must be right all the time. 

You received a lot of good rep for that and that's fine, but I'd rather have good constructive conversation then have everyone run around smelling the roses and telling everyone how sweet they smell right now. 

That would make this a very boring place if we followed your "advice". I also disagree that this place is constantly whining. I see a lot of really good discussions with points from all sides. Sure, there are some that will never be happy,  and that's their right, just like it's your right to feel all sunshine and rainbows no matter what happens.

I will say this though, you better not complain at all about anything the rest of the season. You've made your bed now lie in it. Everything is awesome, every lineup is perfect, every bullpen move is perfect and anyone discussing these things on an actual orioles discussion board should stay quiet or be called a whiner by Frobby.

I feel like you are telling people how to fan, and that is a really, really disappointing post from a longtime member of this board.

It wasn’t my intention at all to discourage criticism of the team or to tell other people how to be a fan.  That’s why I included the last paragraph.   I don’t think everything is perfect at all, or that we shouldn’t do anything to try to improve the team.  I’m just saying, it’s good sometimes to stop and enjoy the fact that the team is in the position it’s  in, and give some credit to the organizational leaders who got the team there.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Orioles Jim said:

I think I’m still too scarred from 2005.

The apex was 42-28 (yes I realize we’re currently better than that) on 6/21/2005. My memory had us hitting our attrition sooner than that (we did go on a 6 game losing streak thereafter) but we actually didn’t dip below .500 until 7/30/2005.

Obviously this team is so much different than that team, in so many ways for so many reasons, but it does serve as a word of warning of how teams can still be a mirage even up to this point.

Another factor that some forget is the balanced schedule has really made things easier for the orioles and the other AL East teams. They no longer have to beat each up for 18-19 games a year. I probably didn't take that into consideration enough when I thought they would be around an 85-87 win team this year.  

I think we can see that in the standings this year where all of the AL East teams are but Boston (who are one game under) are over .500 this year. I know I like facing KC and Oakland more than I do facing the Rays or the Yankees. 

The balance schedule has made things more fair across baseball for making the playoffs. That should help the Orioles hide some of their current weak areas a bit.

• Upvote 2