O's lead the AL in fielding percentage (.989)

wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to O's lead the AL in fielding percentage (.989)
10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But they have the third worst team OAA in all of baseball.

Just went to Baseball Savant and looked at this.  As I suspected, the only position player with a positive OAA was Mateo.  Frazier is pretty awful on this measurement.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Interesting,  SG, To what do you attribute the O's second best record in the MLB?   How are they doing that?  Just interested in your perspective.

You will agree that simply counting errors is a poor way to assess defensive ability right?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Interesting,  SG, To what do you attribute the O's second best record in the MLB?   How are they doing that?  Just interested in your perspective.

The BP, especially Bautista and Cano, is the biggest factor imo.

Its like the mid 2010s again

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But they have the third worst team OAA in all of baseball.

I have been consistently surprised at this since we were average last year and have essentially the same team. Was Odor worth that much at 2B? :) Or is Gunnar that bad? I don't think so. 

Some other metrics have us better... RTot has us #7, Fielding Bible DRS #19, BIS-DRS #17. I honestly have no idea which is the best but the eye test says we are around average. I do not think we are a bad defensive team. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The BP, especially Bautista and Cano, are the 2 biggest factors imo.

Thanks.  I would add a full year of Adley to that.

Do you think the pen is better than last year outside of the addition of Cano?

Just now, wildcard said:

I'm not sure it's better even if you consider Cano.

Despite the unreal start is Cano any better than Lopez was last season?

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I have been consistently surprised at this since we were average last year and have essentially the same team. Was Odor worth that much at 2B? :) Or is Gunnar that bad? I don't think so. 

Some other metrics have us better... RTot has us #7, Fielding Bible DRS #19, BIS-DRS #17. I honestly have no idea which is the best but the eye test says we are around average. I do not think we are a bad defensive team. 

From what I've seen Adley's metrics have taken a pretty fair hit this season.  Hopefully it's just the ebb and flow of things and not the new normal.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It’s probably not better as a whole but Cano/Bautista is better than any duo we had last year, at least so far.

Honestly, they should be in MVp consideration. This team’s record looks completely different if they were merely just good to very good as opposed to the dominating pitchers they have been.

Edited by Sports Guy

We are essentially tied with Boston for 2nd best offense in the division too. 

We are scoring about 5 runs per game this year so far........compared to 4.16 per game in 2022.   That's a significant improvement.  (we had the 4th best offense in the division last year)

Edited by Aglets

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure it's better even if you consider Cano.

Despite the unreal start is Cano any better than Lopez was last season?

So if the pen overall is about as good as last year and that is the main factor in the O's winning ways this season, how are they on a 102 win pace?