Perez appreciation thread

Spakman

I'm guessing not quite yet. 

But it's at the point where I'd be ok with it. 

I think a few of his recent blowups have been some bad batted ball luck where he wasn't getting hit too hard, but he now has 16 K, 14 BB in 24.1 IP. That's not gonna cut it.

14 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm guessing not quite yet. 

But it's at the point where I'd be ok with it. 

I think a few of his recent blowups have been some bad batted ball luck where he wasn't getting hit too hard, but he now has 16 K, 14 BB in 24.1 IP. That's not gonna cut it.

Yeah, you could say it’s fluky, but it keeps happening.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Really weird how bad he's been this year, but perhaps it was last year that was weird, because he was terrible before that. 

I think he's a good bounce-back candidate if he goes to another team.

Yeah, at some point you have to say that last year was the fluke. Not sure how you can be so good and then so bad, but that’s the life of a reliever 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can't carry Perez and Voth in the same bullpen.  Yeah, I know Voth is on the IL.  Need to use some of this prospect capital to get another back end reliever. 

I don't think they even need to do a trade to replace Pérez, if their goal is to fill the short-stint lefty spot with a guy who will produce some positive value, instead of negative.

Vespi and Hernández are in Norfolk right now (though I think Vespi's recall timer currently has a bit to go, I think he last got sent down last week).  Hall is obviously still figuring some things out, but even he could be an option if he has an obvious "click."  I'd definitely be worried if i were Pérez, there's several guys ready to take his job, and he hasn't been doing it.

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I don't think they even need to do a trade to replace Pérez, if their goal is to fill the short-stint lefty spot with a guy who will produce some positive value, instead of negative.

Vespi and Hernández are in Norfolk right now (though I think Vespi's recall timer currently has a bit to go, I think he last got sent down last week).  Hall is obviously still figuring some things out, but even he could be an option if he has an obvious "click."  I'd definitely be worried if i were Pérez, there's several guys ready to take his job, and he hasn't been doing it.

Only thing protecting Perez is that Elias hates to give away talent.  He couldn't even part w/ Odor at the end of last year.  In comparison, look how easy the Yankees gave up on Hicks.  They saw Hicks wasn't doing the job, had a bunch of prospects that needed playing time and cut Hicks, $30 mill be damned.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Only thing protecting Perez is that Elias hates to give away talent.  He couldn't even part w/ Odor at the end of last year.  In comparison, look how easy the Yankees gave up on Hicks.  They saw Hicks wasn't doing the job, had a bunch of prospects that needed playing time and cut Hicks, $30 mill be damned.

That might not be best example.  😉

• Haha 1