O's Need Bullpen Help in the Worst Way

Jagwar

2 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Rays are the best team in baseball with the best home record.  Did you think we were going to win 8-2?

No... but I'm hoping that the O's can construct a bullpen that doesn't give up 3 runs in 4 innings. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Well it’s not an immediate help, but if the Orioles are trying to cap GrayRod’s innings, throwing out of the pen in the postseason didn’t seem to hurt David Price in 2008…

I love that idea. IF Grayson can throw strikes, show command, and get outs. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Nice guys don't win championships.

What a ludicrous thing to say. No nice guy has ever won a championship?  Tell it to Brooks Robinson.  

I think Chapman is past his prime and I’d rather get someone younger and more consistent.  

• Upvote 2

The refusal to use Akin is just really weird to me. He has as good or better of a chance at succeeding in the middle innings than anyone used tonight. Baumann has thrown so much lately.

I think there's a 100% chance we pick up Nabil Crismatt on waivers. He's healthy now and has had a lot of bulk inning success in the past. 

9 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Nice guys don't win championships.

Plenty of nice guys win championships. I think the more accurate way to put it is that you don’t need 26 Boy Scouts to win championships — having one Chapman along with the 25 good dudes we’d have on the roster wouldn’t sink the team. 

1 hour ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Well it’s not an immediate help, but if the Orioles are trying to cap GrayRod’s innings, throwing out of the pen in the postseason didn’t seem to hurt David Price in 2008…

My only concern with this idea is that Grayson has been pretty terrible in the first inning of his starts this year (7.20 ERA, 1.028 OPSA). Obviously, it’s a little bit different for your first inning to be your only inning — as opposed to trying to keep something in the tank to pitch 5-6 innings over the course of a full outing. If he can just let it fly for an inning (or two), the stuff clearly would be dominant in short stints. Can he command the stuff in that role? No idea, but there’s probably only one way to find out…and they might be well served to use September to investigate that, if he hasn’t forced his way back into the rotation by then.

On the thread topic, I think it’s been clear for a while that the soft underbelly of the bullpen is actually the biggest weakness on the roster. Disappointing, to say the least, that we can’t put together a group of guys from Perez, Voth, Akin, Givens, Tate, etc., that can reliably get outs. But that’s where we are. 

I think if they’re serious about having a legitimately WS caliber bullpen — which is probably necessary with a middling rotation — they need two guys that can slot in between the Bautista/Cano connection at the end of games and the mostly decent group of Coulombe, Baker, Baumann, and maybe Akin/Vespi. That becomes a group that can genuinely shorten games. 

I think one high level addition is probably the most realistic hope, though. Which means they’ll pretty desperately need (a) everyone to stay healthy and (b) at least one of Baker or Baumann to figure it out and be a legit complement to Coulombe in the 6th/7th.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

The refusal to use Akin is just really weird to me. He has as good or better of a chance at succeeding in the middle innings than anyone used tonight. Baumann has thrown so much lately.

Bet we see him on Wednesday.  I like him and wish they were using him more.  At a minimum, he works fast and throws a lot of strikes.  It doesn’t drive you crazy to watch him, even when he gets hit around a bit.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yea.  I feel the same way.  I really do not care strongly one way or another.  Sure, I think it's kind of ugly.  I also think HR's came pretty cheap before.  I like the exciting defensive plays it fosters and of course the random triple & odd carom make for some fun and unique moments.  But I don't think it helps or hurts the team in any substantial way short of helping out the pitching a little.   I sure don't think the players are changing their approaches.  If they keep it as is, that's fine with me.  If they modify it some way, that's fine with me as well.  It does seem like there is some opportunity for some unique seats down there by modifying it slightly.  When I first saw it, it almost appeared like a construction Phase 1.  That might be reasoning for pushing it back so far, allows them some flexibility in the future.   I also don't buy that a Free Agent RH hitter is going to care at all about the wall.   They are getting paid regardless.  I'd think that 1-maximizing payday 2-playing for a winner 3-finding a location that suits your family would be your priorities and your long-term stat line would be very close to the bottom of your list of concerns.  
    • His "ability to play RF" carries about $0 value
    • Yeah but if you think most of this money is going to upgrade things that are wrong or need improving, such as the ones @accinfo lists, I think you'll be disappointed.   They will be for new features, each one designed to create revenue via premium seating or premium "experience" areas or attractions that bring non baseball fans to the park to spend or sports betting related things. I'm not saying they won't fix some basic things that need it like upgrading the sound system or improving the point of sale technology.   I'm sure they will.   But the focus is going to be on the new attractions which are all designed with revenue enhancement in mind.
    • I’m not a lawyer … perhaps @Frobbymight know. Loss of income, future revenues? Damage to their franchise….Even with MASN the Orioles lost a ton on annual tv revenues
    • Congrats to the offense on playing a heck of a game. Lamar was incredible to watch, especially the play when the snap ended up on the ground and he had to run away towards the sideline and still found Likely for the score. It's very frustrating to me that the offense HAD to play so well because of the poor coaching and abysmal defensive play.  It's odd to me that Harbaugh still messes up timeout usage after being a coach in the league for over 15 years.
    • Can someone in 150 words or less explain to me what DYAR is?
    • I have a 3 hour round trip to get to games. I can't speak about other directions, but the stadium is very easy to get to from the south...some more traffic with the earlier start times, but overall - games are VERY easy to get to, imo. You don't have the hike through the city to get to games. I'm a rural guy, and it's really not a big deal. We took the light rail from Cromwell for Game 1 (I usually park in BC or FGH) and it was a breeze. We walked out right after the game, and we immediately caught a direct bus that took us back to Cromwell directly. We did the same thing last year. I gotta be honest - I think the "they've been horrible for half the season" reasoning is pretty lame. Even when they were down (and dealing with significant injuries) after the AS break, they were still essentially a lock to make the playoffs. Then they get healthy-ish with some key guys back riiiiight before the playoffs and look great for a couple of series - but I guess it was too late for everyone?  Come on.  Just say you didn't feel like it. But don't blame August play for not showing up in October.   
  • Popular Contributors