Trading for a rental vs a longer term asset

Sports Guy

We all agree that some pitching needs to be added to this team.

Part of the equation is obviously who is and isn’t going to be available. Obviously, you can only trade for guys that are on the market.

Something else that needs to be weighed is how much you want to give up and what you feel your long term pitching outlook is.

If we look at 2024, you have Wells/Bradish/GRod/Means essentially written in as starters. Obviously injuries and performance can effect that but as of today, those 4 are definitely in your rotation next year.

That obviously only leaves room for 1 more starter and besides anyone in the minors, you also have Kremer and Irvin as guys that have team control in 2024.

So, how much more are you willing to give up to gain the extra years? Is that something you even care about or is the here and now more important?

There are also a lot of good arms available in the offseason, especially if guys don’t exercise options or opt out.

For me, I actually think adding a rental makes a ton of sense and I may be more pressed about doing that than I would be adding a long term piece.

Keep your best guys, get better now and then do something in the offseason via free agency.

They definitely need a pitcher for this season. There's way too many innings limits for the current group to be able to make a playoff run.

I'd like to see Elias trade for 2 starters. One can be a rental, and preferably the other being someone with a little bit of control left.

He's going to need to get creative to get pitching...FA isn't an option, and there seems to be a plan to not really draft it.

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

They definitely need a pitcher for this season. There's way too many innings limits for the current group to be able to make a playoff run.

I'd like to see Elias trade for 2 starters. One can be a rental, and preferably the other being someone with a little bit of control left.

He's going to need to get creative to get pitching...FA isn't an option, and there seems to be a plan to not really draft it.

I’m not so sure FA isn’t an option, especially after this year.

I agree it’s not an option beyond a 3 year contract though.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Part of the equation is obviously who is and isn’t going to be available. Obviously, you can only trade for guys that are on the market.

Something else that needs to be weighed is how much you want to give up and what you feel your long term pitching outlook is.

If we look at 2024, you have Wells/Bradish/GRod/Means essentially written in as starters. Obviously injuries and performance can effect that but as of today, those 4 are definitely in your rotation next year.

That obviously only leaves room for 1 more starter and besides anyone in the minors, you also have Kremer and Irvin as guys that have team control in 2024.

So, how much more are you willing to give up to gain the extra years? Is that something you even care about or is the here and now more important?

There are also a lot of good arms available in the offseason, especially if guys don’t exercise options or opt out.

For me, I actually think adding a rental makes a ton of sense and I may be more pressed about doing that than I would be adding a long term piece.

Keep your best guys, get better now and then do something in the offseason via free agency.

It's going to be such a seller's market for SPs that I don't even think you can get a worthwhile rental without giving up at least one top prospect. More and more I think loading up on relief pitching may be the way to go. Somebody like a David Robertson from the Mets could be ideal if they pack it in. 

• Upvote 1

Given who we hear may be available, I'd be disappointed if we move any of Holliday/Cowser/Kjerstad/Westburg/Mayo/GRod. I'd much prefer making a real effort in FA this offseason. 2.5 seasons of Cease (and/or 1.5 seasons of Burnes if he were somehow available) would cost too much from this group to justify IMO.

If it's a prospect or combination from the Norby/Ortiz/Hall tier and they decide that Eduardo Rodriguez or Jordan Montgomery is worth it, I'd be excited to see them in the Cole Irvin slot for the rest of the way. Same with a legit middle inning reliever. Rodriguez/Montgomery, Bradish and Wells/Gibson (if Wells wears down by October) could be competitive over a few playoff series' with a deep bullpen behind them.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If we can acquire a front line starter with more years of control/contract I don't think we should hesitate because unless Grayson reaches his potential, we don't have anyone else who profiles as such.

However, you make a fine point in that we can seek to acquire a rental now and then worry about next year next year. We have enough pitching depth to be good next year if we keep what we have. If Grayson becomes that guy next year we are good to go. If not, then we will be back in the same position and have to find a tope of the rotation starter at the deadline. The good thing is we have an overabundance of organizational talent, so we will have the ammo to pull of that kind of trade next year if need be.

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Given who we hear may be available, I'd be disappointed if we move any of Holliday/Cowser/Kjerstad/Westburg/Mayo/GRod. I'd much prefer making a real effort in FA this offseason. 2.5 seasons of Cease (and/or 1.5 seasons of Burnes if he were somehow available) would cost too much from this group to justify IMO.

If it's a prospect or combination from the Norby/Ortiz/Hall tier and they decide that Eduardo Rodriguez or Jordan Montgomery is worth it, I'd be excited to see them in the Cole Irvin slot for the rest of the way. Same with a legit middle inning reliever. Rodriguez/Montgomery, Bradish and Wells/Gibson (if Wells wears down by October) could be competitive over a few playoff series' with a deep bullpen behind them.

I don't see Cease costing that much to be honest. He has looked very mediocre this year and does not go deeper into games, which makes last year look a flash in the pan scenario.

I know that some posters/people tried to label me as the president of the Dylan Cease fan club, but to be honest I wouldn't even want him now. He hasn't been very good this year.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't see Cease costing that much to be honest. He has looked very mediocre this year and does not go deeper into games, which makes last year look a flash in the pan scenario.

I know that some posters/people tried to label me as the president of the Dylan Cease fan club, but to be honest I wouldn't even want him now. He hasn't been very good this year.

Definitely agree on the longevity. 6 IP max pretty much per game, but he has stabilized in June (2.20 ERA, 42/10 K/BB). I'd be excited if the right deal brought him here, but anything more than a combination from that second tier would feel like too much.

I also think that the trade options will open up significantly in the off-season. It would be pretty much unthinkable to move Hayes (2.5 years until FA) or Santander (1.5 years until FA) in the current playoff push, but very possible in the off-season. I imagine Elias would prefer to move those pieces for a long-term answer at SP as opposed to the cost-controlled guys tearing up AAA.