Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

9/9 today, 171 rarity score.

Dale Berra, Darryl Strawberry, Derek Jeter

Bert Blyleven, Dan Gladden, Chuck Knoblauch

Roberto Clemente, Barry Bonds, Ichiro 

Dale Berra because I read his book a few years ago.  Decent read, talks about being a highly touted prospect and how he got started with cocaine.  

I was going for rarity today, and trying to think of someone random for the upper left, turns out 

Spoiler

I somehow confused Aroldis Chapman's tenure (this year!) on the Royals with the Pirates

Kinda agitated me because there are plenty of other options I could think of without trying to be clever. Oh well. 

Orioles row today!

9/9 70 rarity score.

Spoiler

Cliff Lee, Mike Morgan, Frank Howard

Rick Schu, Mark McLemore, Jim Gentile

Dale Murphy, Jamie Moyer, Andres Galarraga

I think Jamie Moyer could have fit the first two boxes, too.  I hate using Mike Morgan, but SEA/TEX was the hardest one for me.  And of course, I couldn't think of Alex f'ing Rodriguez.  Adrian Beltre is an obvious answer, so is Nelson Cruz...our old buddy Arthur Rhodes.  Turns out McLemore could have filled that square, too.  Goose Gossage.  But I started off so good on the row of Orioles with the rarity score that I think I was trying to get too cute and think too hard.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The grid today sucks.  All NL Teams and Marlins/D'backs in there.  No awards or number thresholds.

I've got 3 so far, but it's been a struggle.

I got 5.  3 I actually knew, the other 2 were educated guesses.  But yeah, that was brutal. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I got 5.  3 I actually knew, the other 2 were educated guesses.  But yeah, that was brutal. 

I actually quit after I got the first 3.  I tried to use good old Edwin Jackson but that didn't work, I tried Dotel and that didn't work.  At that point I just said **** it, I've actually got real work to do.

Yes, very easy today.  My score was 116.  There was one square where I had one answer that I was sure of that I knew would be very popular, and four other possible answers that I wasn’t 100% sure of but thought were probably right.  I went with the sure thing and got a 42% score.  Turns out three of the other four also were correct.  So, I cost myself some points but I didn’t want to risk 9/9.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Last few days have been pretty brutal.  Missed two yesterday.

But there's an Orioles column today, so this is good.

Hide contents

Jose Canseco, Jack Voigt, Ivan Rodriguez

Rickey Henderson, Steve Pearce, Jose Bautista

Eddie Collins, Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken 

Score? Had a 43. Pretty sure that is a personal best.

Had 4 HOFers, a guy with 500+ HR, two guys with MVPs, and two starting pitchers. One of them had close to 50 WAR. The other was good enough to get a QO. The nine combined for over 560 WAR.

39 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Score? Had a 43. Pretty sure that is a personal best.

Had 4 HOFers, a guy with 500+ HR, two guys with MVPs, and two starting pitchers. One of them had close to 50 WAR. The other was good enough to get a QO. The nine combined for over 560 WAR.

110.  My Orioles/Rangers pick is at 0.005%.  The rest of the picks aren't so hot.

• Upvote 1