Should be Cowser time today - but not expecting it

HelenaEngineer

As an engineer, I can't help it, but I see a simple 3 question decision tree that seems to make the choice obvious. Clearly, the Orioles are best positioned to answer the questions, but I will at least give my opinions.

1. Is Cowser ready to contribute at the major league level?

Clearly this is the primary question and if the answer is "no", then you can stop and ignore the other questions. Elias said on the telecast over the weekend that Cowser was at the stage where he could be waiting for the call, so I think the Orioles believe the answer is "Yes", and I would agree with that.

2. Is there someone on the active roster that Cowser could replace and improve the overall talent on the team?

I think the answer here is clearly yes. As much as I loved the walkoff vs Seattle, McKenna is the first name that comes to mind.

3. Is there playing time available for Cowser on a team that is playing to win and in contention?

This is the hardest one, and if they were going to "Ortiz" him, then I would not want to see Cowser promoted. That said, among 3 outfielders, 1B and DH - and even assuming you have Mountcastle in the mix during the next few weeks - you have the following contenders for 5 lineup spots, assuming you bring up Cowser and option McKenna
OF - Hays, Mullins, Hicks, Santander, Cowser
1B - Mountcastle, Santander, O'Hearn, Urias

Vs RHP, you are looking at Hays, Mullins, Hicks, Santander, Cowser , O'Hearn and likely Adley as a potential DH for 5 lineup spots - with Adley likely catching for most of those games and not a DH candidate and Hays possibly sidelined for a couple of days.  Of those, Hicks and O'Hearn have been slumping and Hays may well be out for a couple of games. The 6 starters announced for the upcoming road trip are all righties, with one TBA going for New York - a great place for a lefty power bat to hit. I am not going to buy that you would not want have Cowser on the field for at least half and probably more than half of those games.  Especially if Hays is out for a day or two, the time is now. You don't want to have McKenna take his place against RHP. 3 out of 4 vs New York would be huge going into the break. I get you could play Mullins, Hicks, Santander in the OF and O'Hearn at 1B - but that leaves with you a RH at DH with less pop than Cowser and two slumping lefties in the lineup - and very little punch on th bench. If Cowser is up, he strengthens the bench if he is on it and he strengthens the bench by putting someone who would otherwise be in the lineup on it as well.

If there are "Yes"  answers to those questions, what is the reason for not promoting him? If they aren't all "Yes", which one or ones are "No"? I think there is someone who could go off the 40 and not cause much heartburn, so I won't even go down that path.

20 minutes ago, HelenaEngineer said:

As an engineer, I can't help it, but I see a simple 3 question decision tree that seems to make the choice obvious. Clearly, the Orioles are best positioned to answer the questions, but I will at least give my opinions.

1. Is Cowser ready to contribute at the major league level?

Clearly this is the primary question and if the answer is "no", then you can stop and ignore the other questions. Elias said on the telecast over the weekend that Cowser was at the stage where he could be waiting for the call, so I think the Orioles believe the answer is "Yes", and I would agree with that.

2. Is there someone on the active roster that Cowser could replace and improve the overall talent on the team?

I think the answer here is clearly yes. As much as I loved the walkoff vs Seattle, McKenna is the first name that comes to mind.

3. Is there playing time available for Cowser on a team that is playing to win and in contention?

This is the hardest one, and if they were going to "Ortiz" him, then I would not want to see Cowser promoted. That said, among 3 outfielders, 1B and DH - and even assuming you have Mountcastle in the mix during the next few weeks - you have the following contenders for 5 lineup spots, assuming you bring up Cowser and option McKenna
OF - Hays, Mullins, Hicks, Santander, Cowser
1B - Mountcastle, Santander, O'Hearn, Urias

Vs RHP, you are looking at Hays, Mullins, Hicks, Santander, Cowser , O'Hearn and likely Adley as a potential DH for 5 lineup spots - with Adley likely catching for most of those games and not a DH candidate and Hays possibly sidelined for a couple of days.  Of those, Hicks and O'Hearn have been slumping and Hays may well be out for a couple of games. The 6 starters announced for the upcoming road trip are all righties, with one TBA going for New York - a great place for a lefty power bat to hit. I am not going to buy that you would not want have Cowser on the field for at least half and probably more than half of those games.  Especially if Hays is out for a day or two, the time is now. You don't want to have McKenna take his place against RHP. 3 out of 4 vs New York would be huge going into the break. I get you could play Mullins, Hicks, Santander in the OF and O'Hearn at 1B - but that leaves with you a RH at DH with less pop than Cowser and two slumping lefties in the lineup - and very little punch on th bench. If Cowser is up, he strengthens the bench if he is on it and he strengthens the bench by putting someone who would otherwise be in the lineup on it as well.

If there are "Yes"  answers to those questions, what is the reason for not promoting him? If they aren't all "Yes", which one or ones are "No"? I think there is someone who could go off the 40 and not cause much heartburn, so I won't even go down that path.

Yes, Yes and Yes.  Bring him up.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought that your view was that service time manipulation was a justifiable reason?

This doesn’t even remotely explain my position on things and there is no service time manipulation left this year outside of ROY stuff for next year but that’s not a real reason.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

This doesn’t even remotely explain my position on things and there is no service time manipulation left this year outside of ROY stuff for next year but that’s not a real reason.

It isn't for you.  Might be for Elias.

You have a better reason for not promoting him?

Here's how it should work:
Mullins CF
Adley C
Santander DH
Henderson 3B
Hays LF
O'Hearn 1B
Cowser RF
Westburg 2B
Mateo SS

Bench:
Bemboom, Urias, Hicks, Frazier

However...

1) don't see them starting Cowser over Hicks yet
2) don't see them optioning McKenna at any point this season
3) don't see Cowser being up here until there's an injury or trade

• Confused 1

Also Yankee Stadium 4 days a great park for lefties - rest Hays through Allstar - he is D2D with only 7 games to go before the break makes no sense not to bring him CC up. Also wait until you see todays lineup with Frazier in LF!

Edited by Pat Kelly

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is a question:

If Hicks is doing well in 2 weeks, would Elias trade him for a prospect and promote Cowser?

I have no idea what Elias thinks of Hicks. He could have viewed him as a decent stopgap for Mullins, or as someone fixable or who needed a change of scenery. Or he could think Hicks is having a dead cat bounce. I doubt you'd get a prospect of note for him pretty much regardless of what he does until the trade deadline. If someone did offer one, my guess is he'd trade Hicks in a heartbeat and call up Cowser, but who knows?