That win felt very important

Frobby

The last two nights were tough to take, and it really felt like a loss tonight would have created a giant snowball.   This was a huge win for the Orioles.  I’d love to win tomorrow, but today’s win averted a complete disaster and should help the team relax just a bit.  

And lest I forget, Pete Stendel, the cameraman who got hit by Gunnar’s throw, is in my thoughts and prayers.  His health is more important than the outcome of this game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Cowser being in this game made a difference and you can now see this young core of players gelling together at the big league level dominating the lineup card.

Dean Kremer just had a money start pitching at Yankees Stadium course correcting an Orioles team that had lost 6 out of their last 7 games. Kremer showed the kind of moxie needed to pitch in the postseason tonight.

29 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

This lineup is too talented, too deep, and too healthy to be held down for long. I think we can get back to the decent enough pitching + we’ll above average hitting formula

It does feel like there's an avalanche of talent starting to arrive.

When they were rattling off the names of the outfielders on the team now: Mullins, Hays, Santander, Cowser, and a seemingly-rejuvenated Aaron Hicks as the 4th/5th OF, it really seems that this team is starting to burst at the seams with quality players, at least on the position player side of things.

They had another win like this in Yankee Stadium earlier this year too when they poured on a bunch of runs late to come back. These are confidence builders for a young team.

I remember watching a a mic'd up episode from a couple of years ago with Joe Burrow wearing the wire. They were in Baltimore and piling on the Ravens, which we all know isn't something that happens often at all. This was before Cincy went onto their consecutive AFC championship games. Burrow was talking to other guys on the sideline and said something like, "if we can do this to these guys, then we can do it to anyone."

I think the same holds true for young players on the Orioles going into New York and Boston. Being able to compete and at times dominate in those parks pierces the veil and makes every challenge feel attainable. Good win.

4 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

They had another win like this in Yankee Stadium earlier this year too when they poured on a bunch of runs late to come back. These are confidence builders for a young team.

I remember watching a a mic'd up episode from a couple of years ago with Joe Burrow wearing the wire. They were in Baltimore and piling on the Ravens, which we all know isn't something that happens often at all. This was before Cincy went onto their consecutive AFC championship games. Burrow was talking to other guys on the sideline and said something like, "if we can do this to these guys, then we can do it to anyone."

I think the same holds true for young players on the Orioles going into New York and Boston. Being able to compete and at times dominate in those parks pierces the veil and makes every challenge feel attainable. Good win.

Boston is in last place, so I am not very worried at all about them. Now going into Tampa is another story.

Last night was huge because it put the Birds in a spot where a win tonight would knot the season series at 5-5 against NY, with one home series remaining.

Nice of the Rays to go 6-10 during the O’s recent swoon.  They need a win in the finale against the Phillies to snap a losing streak with a weekend series with Atlanta looming.

6 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Preach!  Players frequently talk about playing in Yankee Stadium with a sort of reverence (maybe that's changed with the new building, but the fans are still the same).  So, having a left side of Cowser/Westburg/Gunnar converge on a pop-up late in the game might mean nothing in the box score.  But the three of those chattering after the play and in the dugout after Cowser called them off means something.

Let's close it out tonight and finish strong heading into the break!

Winning last night was a big relief. I REALLY need this to be the start of a winning streak. I will be at Yankee stadium tonight for the game...

Great to see the newest additions playing big roles in the win last night. I hope to see them as fixtures in the lineups going forward. I'm sky high on Cowser.

• Upvote 1