Sizing Up The Orioles Ahead of The Trade Deadline (MLB Network)

Billy F-Face3

48 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Interesting: so you would actually prefer any of Kremer/Grayson/healthy Means over Gibson, who as the show pointed out, does have playoff experience? (Only 3.33 innings and zero starts,  but it was during three different series against three different opponents.) Not disagreeing--just curious as to why.

For me, it really depends on how each pitcher is throwing down the stretch. Gibson just had a great outing, but historically he's been far worse in the second half than the first half. He was an all star in 2021 and had a 2.87 ERA in Texas through 19 starts then had a 5.09 in Philly. He's a career 4.03 ERA pitcher in the first half and 5.11 in the second half. So while he had "some" playoff experience, I don't know if that's enough, particularly if Kremer or Grayson or Means had a very good September. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Giolito is the only Game 1 type SP out there. He’s the only SP worth trading for so far. 

Yes, Giolito is who I would like targeted too.  I think you could make an argument that Stroman is just as good, but understand that Giolito has a higher baseline.  Ed Rod is a big risk d/t his contract status.  Chicago needs a lot of help in the infield, so I feel that Baltimore is a match.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:19 AM, IPlayGM said:

Pretty cool coverage, and pretty informed honestly. This is why I am in the “upgrade the bullpen aggressively “ camp. Then this off-season can be the time to replace Gibson with a significant upgrade.

Yes I have been in the Andrew Miller/Zack Britton camp myself for a while 

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yes, Giolito is who I would like targeted too.  I think you could make an argument that Stroman is just as good, but understand that Giolito has a higher baseline.  Ed Rod is a big risk d/t his contract status.  Chicago needs a lot of help in the infield, so I feel that Baltimore is a match.

I'll never forget Buck pulling Joe Saunders almost out of nowhere in 2012 to start and win the Wild Card game vs. Texas and then throw a one-run 5.33-inning start in the playoffs vs. the Yankees. After that, I felt like, Well, you never know.... The O's do have a surplus of very promising prospects as possible trade bait and ME has shown he has (a) the guts to trade or let go of any player if he feels it's for the overall good of the team and (b) the smarts to know which newly-arrived players will probably perform much better than expected. It's going to be interesting, for sure.

4 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I wish Elias would dummy up and take our advice, all of it, from everybody.

A REALLY GOOD GM could get a quality TOR starter, and two quality RPs for Mateo, Frazier, McKenna, and a bag of broken fungo bats.  What the hell is holding him back.  

I don't think Elias is going to do anything stupid.  

I don't mean to imply they would get an "ace" with those parts - only to improve playoff pitching depth.  People looking for a big name would be disappointed.

I see folks like Giolito and I like him, but I don't see him bumping Wells down a peg in the postseason rotation order.  In one sense, he's a good add to replace a starter who is struggling or reaching an innings limit.  The problem I see with acquiring him is that he's ANOTHER RHSP who does not address the team's need to deal with a heavily LH offense nor is he a guy who can take advantage of the dimensions of Camden Yards.

Edited by Filmstudy

12 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

I see folks like Giolito and I like him, but I don't see him bumping Wells down a peg in the postseason rotation order.  In one sense, he's a good add to replace a starter who is struggling or reaching an innings limit.  The problem I see with acquiring him is that he's ANOTHER RHSP who does not address the team's need to deal with a heavily LH offense nor is he a guy who can take advantage of the dimensions of Camden Yards.

I don’t think that should be the focus. People get too wrapped up in the dimensions stuff.

Get a good pitcher and they get outs in any park.

We know who our untouchables are.  Ain't no one prying Holliday off our hands, for example.

That said, if we trade a blocked player like Ortiz, or Mayo (assuming he's a 1B) and they go on to be superstars, are we really going to be mad?  especially if Henderson, Kjerstad, Holliday all end up being good to great?  Those guys are only getting a shot if one of our primo guys fails.  We should hope that plan A doesn't fail, and I'd rather go all-in on plan-A while we've got the 3rd best record in all of baseball.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think that should be the focus. People get too wrapped up in the dimensions stuff.

Get a good pitcher and they get outs in any park.

Nope, that's just a part of it.  It's about being able to match up vs a LH lineup as well.  Right now, this team is naked to a tough LH lineup.

I know the platoon split does not look like too much right now, but I don't believe that will hold up, particularly against the better LH bats the O's will face in the postseason.

Edited by Filmstudy

If you think the O's rotation is ok now, how does it look w/ one of our better starters injured.  Most of the teams we are competing for playoff spots have had major injuries to the starting rotation.  Tampa Bay, New York and Texas have had multiple injuries.  I'm sure a lot of contenders have had rotation injuries.  O's chances would be a lot worse w/ only one above average starter.  I'm not jinxing anything, pitching injuries just happen. 

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

We know who our untouchables are.  Ain't no one prying Holliday off our hands, for example.

That said, if we trade a blocked player like Ortiz, or Mayo (assuming he's a 1B) and they go on to be superstars, are we really going to be mad?  especially if Henderson, Kjerstad, Holliday all end up being good to great?  Those guys are only getting a shot if one of our primo guys fails.  We should hope that plan A doesn't fail, and I'd rather go all-in on plan-A while we've got the 3rd best record in all of baseball.

Coby Mayo isn’t blocked, and regardless of what the national rankings say, he might be our second best prospect not currently in MLB.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cowser got sent down?

When did that happen?

What?? I’m not aware of that.

Cowser still has prospect status as far as I know. 

@Sydnor statement was that Mayo may be our second best prospect. And I was asking according to that opinion, did that mean better than Kjerstad and Cowser?