Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

With ownership showing year over year that they’re not willing to significantly increase payroll wouldn’t it be foolish to part with cheap controllable talent for what a 2 month rental? Unless we’re getting a guy back with at least 2 plus years control I wouldn’t part with any of our top 10 prospects. I could see a mlb player like Urias moved along with AAA guys like stowers and vavra moved, hopefully for middle relieve. 

I'd be searching for a team that values Stowers, Norby and/or Prieto.

Here are the players that may hit the market on teams that might be sellers that I think might help the O's even as rentals. 

Ohtani    Angels

Gioloto    WS

Montgomery   Cards

Stroman    Cubs

E Rod    Tigers

Snell   SD

Robertson  Mets

Raley       Mets

Middleton    WS

Cisneros   Tigers

Hader   SD

Most would take more than the O's want to give up.

I would be watching Means, Voth and  Perez on their rehab to see if trades are even necessary.  

I expect GRod to be added soon and Irvin to go to the pen when he does.

3 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Not giving up Mayo for a rental, even if it's Ohtani.  But I would give up Ortiz, Fabian and Norby plus throw ins like Stowers.  I would consider giving up Westburg or Basallo instead of Ortiz if that's what it would take.   It's freaking Shohei Ohtani.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Not giving up Mayo for a rental, even if it's Ohtani.  But I would give up Ortiz, Fabian and Norby plus throw ins like Stowers.  I would consider giving up Westburg or Basallo instead of Ortiz if that's what it would take.   It's freaking Shohei Ohtani.  

Not going to happen but Mayo straight up for Ohtani would be tough to say no to.   An Ace and a MOTH for a power hitting 1B who might be a good or great ML power hitter.   Love Mayo but that might be a deal with the devil that I’d make.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not going to happen but Mayo straight up for Ohtani would be tough to say no to.   An Ace and a MOTH for a power hitting 1B who might be a good or great ML power hitter.   Love Mayo but that might be a deal with the devil that I’d make.

It’s an interesting site, but it feels like it undervalues rising prospects. I don’t know how often player numbers are updated, but Mayo’s value right now has to be exponentially higher than it was two months ago. Not sure the site reflects that. 

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I mean I like Mayo but where is he going to play? Especially if Heston is going to be a 1b eventually 

16 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I mean I like Mayo but where is he going to play? Especially if Heston is going to be a 1b eventually 

Because you have depth you don’t give it away. Rentals aren’t a good investment 

Edited by Roll Tide

39 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Kjerstad isn’t going to be the 1B.  Mayo will.  Kjerstad will be RF/DH.   Bank it.

43 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Why would Heston be at first eventually? And why would you definitively choose HK over Mayo anyway?

He can play the OF.

Zero reason to trade Mayo and even if you did, you don’t do it for a rental.

Edited by Sports Guy

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do people want to give up so much for rentals?

You think these teams are just going to give up pieces for no name prospects? The Os have one of the best systems - other teams know it. I’m not saying Mayo has to be included but we are going to have to deal from our talent pool in the minors to add to the majors. 

Id rather deal from the outfield or middle infield depth we have, but have to imagine teams are going to start with players like Hall/Mayo (I’d assume teams know JHoll is off the table for the most part… 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Read your last sentence and then read who you said you would “give up”. Angels would laugh at the offer IMO.