Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I’d give up Norby, Hall, and Ortiz for Ohtani.  That is 3 current top 100 guys but I don’t see much playing time for those guys here long term.   I doubt that package gets him but not manny teams could give them 3 top 100 prospects like that.  

Hall has little to no trade value currently and is not a top 100 prospect anymore. Hall has lost significant velo this season, will be 25 in September, and has never dominated AAA. He will likely never regain any prospect status at this point. I hope he can just make it as a decent Major Leaguer at this point (probably bullpen).

Ortiz and Norby are a starting point though. If you add in a few other pieces around that, we could probably win the Ohtani sweepstakes. I doubt many other teams (other than the Dodgers) could beat that. And I doubt many would want to considering that you are only getting Ohtani for 2 months.

However, I go back and forth between saying to myself, “if we have to part with value, why not get a player who can impact winning for longer?”

Certainly, no one player can help us more than Ohtani for the remainder of the season. And we have the prospect/talent capital in abundance to trade from. I just wonder if there is not a better trade out there for us to help us for more than this year? 

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I’d give up Norby, Hall, and Ortiz for Ohtani.  That is 3 current top 100 guys but I don’t see much playing time for those guys here long term.   I doubt that package gets him but not manny teams could give them 3 top 100 prospects like that.  

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

You can currently see the previous lists. 

I know he used to be a top 100 prospect.  The poster I was responding to was offering up three current top 100 players, which Hall isn't.

15 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Is Blake Snell available? What would it take to acquire him from the Padres?

I mentioned how Snell and Hader fill a need (bullpen and rotation). Just depends what Pads will want. Don’t see them performing well in 2nd half. 

Imagine having to face Cano/Hader/Bautista.

When trading top-100 prospect position players to fill a specific "need", please remember the names Frank Duffy, Mike Boddicker, Ugueth Urbina, Aubrey Huff, Rich Harden, and Larry Anderson.

If you just have to have Ohtani for 65 games (approximately), remember you could be hearing the names Norby and Ortiz for 10 years as a DP combination and another 25 after that in articles on the worst ever deadline trades.  That fear shouldn't be a reason not to make the trade, but the relative value of those players sure as hell should be.

For the record, I don't think there is a team that will offer a package as good as Norby and Ortiz for Ohtani and if there is one, I expect the Angels will be all over it.  In addition to trying to get some value for their (apparently) departing star, the Angels can save $12M in salary.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

When trading top-100 prospect position players to fill a specific "need", please remember the names Frank Duffy, Mike Boddicker, Ugueth Urbina, Aubrey Huff, Rich Harden, and Larry Anderson.

If you just have to have Ohtani for 65 games (approximately), remember you could be hearing the names Norby and Ortiz for 10 years as a DP combination and another 25 after that in articles on the worst ever deadline trades.  That fear shouldn't be a reason not to make the trade, but the relative value of those players sure as hell should be.

For the record, I don't think there is a team that will offer a package as good as Norby and Ortiz for Ohtani and if there is one, I expect the Angels will be all over it.  In addition to trying to get some value for their (apparently) departing star, the Angels can save $12M in salary.

With the stocked farm system we have, I'm pretty sure I would never think that a trade of Norby/Ortiz for Ohtani was a bad idea at the time of trade.  

5 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

There is always a stupid GM …..it’s just a matter of who is it gonna be. The Dodgers have a solid farm system also, spend lavishly on international players, don’t seem to mind paying the tax from time to time, and can cover prospect  loses doing so with free agents.

I realize giving up Norby, Stowers, and a couple of other guys ….think Povich and Prieto. Who are we really going to miss? Stowers (probably not), Norby (depends on how Westburg & Ortiz do), Povich (depends on what he becomes) lots of people cried about the E Rod trade and our starting staff would’ve been better with him since he’s been a MLB pitcher, Prieto (maybe)….He looks like a possibility to be a plus contact bat. His BB/SO rate is close to 1 for 1, drop his tour at AA last year and he’s been a .340 hitter in the minors with a mid .800 OPS. 

I ultimately agree that hearing their names and having them play against you for years might been painful.

IF and it’s a big one the Orioles won the World Series with Othani you’d gladly make the deal but accomplishing that is far from a guarantee and anything short would make the deal a bust since they are going to retain him.

Edited by Roll Tide

7 hours ago, OakOrioles said:

I mentioned how Snell and Hader fill a need (bullpen and rotation). Just depends what Pads will want. Don’t see them performing well in 2nd half. 

Imagine having to face Cano/Hader/Bautista.

Hader would be like adding Andrew Miller in 2014. He’s the #1 option for me at this point. 

47 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There is always a stupid GM …..it’s just a matter of who is it gonna be. The Dodgers have a solid farm system also, spend lavishly on international players, don’t seem to mind paying the tax from time to time, and can cover prospect  loses doing so with free agents.

I realize giving up Norby, Stowers, and a couple of other guys ….think Povich and Prieto. Who are we really going to miss? Stowers (probably not), Norby (depends on how Westburg & Ortiz do), Povich (depends on what he becomes) lots of people cried about the E Rod trade and our starting staff would’ve been better with him since he’s been a MLB pitcher, Prieto (maybe)….He looks like a possibility to be a plus contact bat. His BB/SO rate is close to 1 for 1, drop his tour at AA last year and he’s been a .340 hitter in the minors with a mid .800 OPS. 

I ultimately agree that hearing their names and having them play against you for years might been painful.

IF and it’s a big one the Orioles won the World Series with Othani you’d gladly make the deal but accomplishing that is far from a guarantee and anything short would make the deal a bust since they are going to retain him.

The thing about the Dodgers though is that seriously value prospects. Remember where Friedman came from. Why would they give away a ton of prospect capital when they can simply wait a couple of months and sign Ohtani in the offseason? They are not an Ohtani away from catching the Braves this year and they are not in some kind of desperation chase a championship at all cost mode this year.