Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

59 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It would be a really poor decision to bypass an opportunity with a team this good with the best record in your league but a gaping sized hole in the roster that we all know will come back to bite you in order to hedge your bets for future seasons with unknowable outcomes. 

Starting pitchers get injured all of the time and eventually they all break at some point, if we were to sustain just two injuries to our starting staff next year in the form or Wells and Bradish or Bradish and Rodriguez, we would be royally screwed and would have next to no shot (given the degree of pitching talent in our entire org) to be positioned here again. Or if even Felix Bautista were to sustain any kind of injury next year, we would again be nowhere as good.

IMO it would be supreme arrogance or negligence to punt/pass up this season's chances to seriously compete for the World Series simply because you are afraid to (even worse) too cheap to make a meaningful trade.

If that's the mentality of the org, we are most likely doomed with that kind of dogma (refusal to spend at all cost no matter what).

I’m not saying I agree with any of it, I’m just noting that until they prove otherwise, keeping costs low will appear to be king.

43 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If you want to keep acquisition costs down and still be able to obtain players that can make meaningful impact, rentals is the way to go. If we are after acquiring "controllable assets" we are going to have to be willing to give up more most likely to obtain those kind of players. i.e. - Dylan Cease will probably cost more than Eduardo Rodriguez or Blake Snell.

If I’m trading Stowers fine ….if they want our top 100 guys or even in our top 10 it’s controllable assets. 

4 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Translation: Our front office/ownership is too cheap and no other executives are willing to take us seriously. Some GMs feel you're wasting their time so they won't even bother talking to you anymore. (This, coming from a former Mets GM)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Translation: Our front office/ownership is too cheap and no other executives are willing to take us seriously. Some GMs feel you're wasting their time so they won't even bother talking to you anymore. (This, coming from a former Mets GM)

Nah….We are willing to trade from our surplus for quality controllable pieces. We will not short our competitive window or diminish our farm system for 2 month rentals. We have no interest trading for Othani for a slew of prospects.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Nah….We are willing to trade from our surplus for quality controllable pieces. We will not short our competitive window or diminish our farm system for 2 month rentals. We have no interest trading for Othani for a slew of prospects.

This is a rosy way of looking at it. I kind of read Buster’s statement to mean the Orioles have no interest in making a big deal - which includes potential deals for controllable assets. Because those will be the expensive moves.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

This is a rosy way of looking at it. I kind of read Buster’s statement to mean the Orioles have no interest in making a big deal - which includes potential deals for controllable assets. Because those will be the expensive moves.

Should they be approaching the market with the position that they are more than willing, nay enthusiastic, to drain their farm system for marginal upgrades? Would that be a better opening bargaining position in your mind?

Some interesting odds from Draft Kings on where certain players will be playing after Aug 1st...

Blake Snell : -120 SD, +750 Tex, +800 Bal, +1000 TB

Ed Rod: +425 Tex, +500 LAD, +600 BAL, +600 DET

Jordan Montgomery: +450 LAD, +500 STL +600 BAL

Much longer odds for the O's for Giolito, Stroman, Verlander, Scherzer, Ohtani

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I don't think you're "reading" what he said.  I think you're "reading into" what he said.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Should they be approaching the market with the position that they are more than willing, nay enthusiastic, to drain their farm system for marginal upgrades? Would that be a better opening bargaining position in your mind?

I’m just basing my reaction off of what the report was - that the Orioles are taking a very measured approach and shying away from big moves. Which would presumably include deals for controllable assets, as those are pricey.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Some interesting odds from Draft Kings on where certain players will be playing after Aug 1st...

Blake Snell : -120 SD, +750 Tex, +800 Bal, +1000 TB

Ed Rod: +425 Tex, +500 LAD, +600 BAL, +600 DET

Jordan Montgomery: +450 LAD, +500 STL +600 BAL

Much longer odds for the O's for Giolito, Stroman, Verlander, Scherzer, Ohtani

So it looks like that site is saying if the Pads and Cards trade we will be getting one of those 3? Since TEX and LAD will only be getting one of each? Is that how this reads? I'm not a betting man.

They won't do it, but I'd love to see something like this. 

Cubs Receive: Kyle Stowers + A-ball SP (Bright? Nunez?). Cubs get a plug-and-play ML-ready power COF bat and a pitching flier. 

Orioles Receive: Cody Bellinger

As a straight 2-month rental, Bellinger would provide:

• Left-handed power in CF (145 OPS+).
  • An upgrade over Hicks offensively and defensively, who has a .647 OPS in July and sinking quickly. 
  • World Series experience and former MVP, while still fitting the team's age demo at only 28.
  • Ability to slide to the OF corners or 1B when Mullins returns. 
  • A stupid-good lineup vs RHP:

Mullins CF
Adley C
Santander DH
Henderson SS
Bellinger LF
O'Hearn 1B
Hays RF
Urias/Frazier 2B
Westburg 3B

The current rumor is the Yankees are likely to acquire him to make it seem like they're trying, which is stupid, but I do expect them to land him. The Orioles, as they should be, are more focused on pitching. But I look at this offense and I feel like it could use a proven bat, and I am ready to jump off the USS Aaron Hicks because that ship is about to sink hard. Anyway - it won't happen, but I think it's a really great fit considering our CF issues at the moment. 

49 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So it looks like that site is saying if the Pads and Cards trade we will be getting one of those 3? Since TEX and LAD will only be getting one of each? Is that how this reads? I'm not a betting man.

Ehh, it just means their initial odds maker thinks it's possible. Those lines will change now that the betting is open, however.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

They won't do it, but I'd love to see something like this. 

Cubs Receive: Kyle Stowers + A-ball SP (Bright? Nunez?). Cubs get a plug-and-play ML-ready power COF bat and a pitching flier. 

Orioles Receive: Cody Bellinger

As a straight 2-month rental, Bellinger would provide:

• Left-handed power in CF (145 OPS+).
  • An upgrade over Hicks offensively and defensively, who has a .647 OPS in July and sinking quickly. 
  • World Series experience and former MVP, while still fitting the team's age demo at only 28.
  • Ability to slide to the OF corners or 1B when Mullins returns. 
  • A stupid-good lineup vs RHP:

Mullins CF
Adley C
Santander DH
Henderson SS
Bellinger LF
O'Hearn 1B
Hays RF
Urias/Frazier 2B
Westburg 3B

The current rumor is the Yankees are likely to acquire him to make it seem like they're trying, which is stupid, but I do expect them to land him. The Orioles, as they should be, are more focused on pitching. But I look at this offense and I feel like it could use a proven bat, and I am ready to jump off the USS Aaron Hicks because that ship is about to sink hard. Anyway - it won't happen, but I think it's a really great fit considering our CF issues at the moment. 

I am open to Bellinger, but doubt Stowers and an A ball pitcher like either of the ones mentioned, gets it done.  

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

I am open to Bellinger, but doubt Stowers and an A ball pitcher like either of the ones mentioned, gets it done.  

I guess that would be my starting offer and I'm willing to increase it. :) You're right that it might take a full package of 3 or 4 guys. I don't know that it would require any of the top 100 guys though.