Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

10 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

If it were me Mountcastle wouldn't have come back up.  But if they insist on him coming then I'd just stick with 12 pitchers for now.

Once the 5th starter is needed 12 pitchers will stress the pen.  Especially when the O's  play 13 games  without an off day.

Who do they start on Friday? That's the more pressing question that I am wondering. They could totally reshuffle their rotation order if they want to. But I would try to keep Bradish and Kremer on connecting days because over the past year, something has worked well when they pitch back to back from each other. Last season it was Kremer following Bradish. This season it's been Bradish following Kremer. Either way, it's worked.

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Ortiz isn't on the roster, yet. This thread is about who goes right now to balance the Mountcastle move. I have Frazier slightly below Mateo in the pecking order but it's close. If Ortiz is brought up, then Mateo would be the next to go. 

I know you want to see Ortiz and maybe we will, but Westburg had to wait to accumulate 630 AB's to get his promotion. Ortiz is only halfway there and now the infield is even more crowded. If Ortiz were to come up now it would be as a bench guy and I don't think we want that. More dominoes will have to fall first, namely Urias.

The point is that the need for defense at one position is already satisfied within the org. If you need that going down the stretch or in the playoffs, you have it.

The only  reason to keep Mateo is speed and defense. Defense we have covered. Hell, may even have speed  covered if they want to promote Bradfield to run the bases in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Someone, I think @wildcard was suggesting that they may go with 14 position players, with Irvin in the bullpen, until a 5th starter is needed, then call up Grayson for a position player. I thought that was pretty plausible. 

And the way Cowser and Westburg have been deployed so far, I actually wouldn't be shocked if they stay and Mountcastle goes back down after those four days. 

Ultimately a trade is the main way to clear up that logjam and maybe that trade will happen before that fifth game. 

I think we do this. Irvin is a bullpen arm until we need a 5th starter. If he isn’t used, then he could be in the running with Grayson for that start. Once we need a 5th starter, I think Mounty gets optioned back down. 

We face lefty SP in the last two games of the MIami series. Sat and Sun. We’ll see Urias on Weds versus the LAD. We need a 5th SP on Tuesday. I expect us to see how things are going, and we might play with a short pen on Tuesday. 

Then a big series at TB. We’ll manage it one game at a time and match up. Pennant chases are fun. 

Like others have said, they’ll wait until Tuesday when the 5th SP is needed. The smart thing to do is option Mountcastle from the start. He hasn’t hit in Norfolk. Why bring him up?  The other smart thing to do is DFA Mateo and call up Ortiz. The you should be fired thing to do is option Cowser or Westburg. Then we know you’d rather be cute than win games. 

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He hasn’t hit in Norfolk. Why bring him up?

They brought him up because in spite of what everyone on this forum seems to think, he actually has started hitting his last couple games in Norfolk. Then he even got 1 plate appearance on Sunday and made the most of his opportunity by driving in a run with a base hit in a clutch situation as a Pinch Hitter.

Also, his Vertigo symptoms have subsided. Anyone who has dealt with vertigo knows that it can mess you up and throw off your entire balance. Now that he seems to be healthy again and doesn't have to deal with that, it's fair to expect him to play better.

I'm as critical as the next guy, but the amount of dumping on Ryan Mountcastle from this message board is unbecoming of our fan base.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Once the 5th starter is needed 12 pitchers will stress the pen.  Especially when the O's  play 13 games  without an off day.

Maybe. Depends how our starters do and whether or not someone can step up in middle relief. I'm old enough to remember 11 man staffs. The game has obviously changed but I think a good staff could get by with 12. 

Also trying to mix what I think the team will do with what I want to happen.  They aren't going to DFA anyone.  Maybe a small trade happens.  Also don't see them sending down either Westburg or Cowser.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

They still have Mateo controlled. Frazier is on a one year.  I think they are much more likely to DFA Frazier as they lose the asset at the end of the year anyhow. 

That's what I would do and for the same reason. Frazier is gone after this season no matter what. I don't think they WILL do that because they love Frazier. Should have never signed him in the offseason, should have never waited so long to promote Westburg to start over him, but here we are. 

40 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They brought him up because in spite of what everyone on this forum seems to think, he actually has started hitting his last couple games in Norfolk. Then he even got 1 plate appearance on Sunday and made the most of his opportunity by driving in a run with a base hit in a clutch situation as a Pinch Hitter.

Also, his Vertigo symptoms have subsided. Anyone who has dealt with vertigo knows that it can mess you up and throw off your entire balance. Now that he seems to be healthy again and doesn't have to deal with that, it's fair to expect him to play better.

I'm as critical as the next guy, but the amount of dumping on Ryan Mountcastle from this message board is unbecoming of our fan base.

Cool. He had 2 hits on Thursday in Norfolk. Despite going 0-22 in the previous 6 games, and despite a .572 OPS at Norfolk, they called him up. He is nowhere near ready for MLB. Other than a couple of great games, he hasn’t been all year. In fact, look at his OBP the last 3 years. 

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

We are trying to solve a problem that will not occur until July 18th.   That is 4 games for an injury to occur.   I don't see anyone being DFA'd.

If Mateo pinch runs, he will be on second in a few pitches and on third in a few more.   Ball in the dirt and he will score.  Kind of important to a team that plays a lot of one run games.

I think it comes down to a line from one of my favorite movies.

I don't know. It’s a mystery.  But it will work out.

A reserve role will hopefully freshen Mateo’s legs up. He hasn’t been the same guy since he got injured. That’s not the cause of all of his issues, but being healed and rested can’t hurt. 

Mountcastle is a luxury we can’t afford until rosters expand in September, but if he’s hitting LHP then he will be shuttled up/down till then for matchups. 

9 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

To me, it's not as interesting now that it is limited to just one position player and one pitcher.

To me, it's not as interesting now that it is limited to just one position player and one pitcher.

Point taken

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, survivedc said:

You could try being a bit less adversarial in every single one of your post replies. 

Experience is obviously not a skill, don’t be daft. Frazier has been in the league for 8 seasons and has undoubtedly learned a thing or two. I’m sure the young middle infielders have picked up some knowledge from him, even if it’s just how to pack for road trips. In addition, I think he’s an adequate defender at both second and COF and positional versatility is good, even if you aren’t a gold glover out there. Frazier also gets on base at a pretty good clip and seems to be a bit unlucky so far this year. 

I’m not picking on Mountcastle, I love the guys personality and have expected him to turn some kind of corner the last few years. But the K’s haven’t gotten better, the walks have gotten worse and I’m not certain his “feel” for first base has really improved (getting over to tough foul balls for instance). 

And again, the biggest thing is just that he didn’t HAVE to come back up. You may have missed that point when you creamed your jeans at the opportunity to attack someone. His replacement was still playing well and 2 other guys had also shown themselves capable of handling first. RMC has plenty of time to get on fire in Norfolk while the rest of the PT sorts itself out. 

Sure I'm brusque, but at least I'm not gross.  You on the other hand...classy comment there.

If you had paid any attention to my posts you will see that I agreed with the idea that he didn't need to be called up.  I didn't miss that point at all. 

But when you brought to my attention the value Frazier brings to the team as the guy that knows how to pack for road trips you managed to turn me around on the whole idea.  I can see the guys without his expert help.

I found a picture of Adley heading to the airport last year, before Frazier came over to help.

portrait-of-man-wearing-beach-short-and-

• Haha 4