There should be more skills competitions at the All Star game besides just the home-run derby

GuidoSarducci

10 hours ago, Yossarian said:

My brothers and would do the exact same thing.  I have 4 older brothers. Two would be O linemen blocking, 2 would be D lineman, and I was always the ball carrier and got the crap beat out of me.  The goal line was the sofa in the basement.   I would get a running start and try to jump over the pile.

In another thread I'll have to tell you about playing William Tell with a soda can balanced on my head while they tried to shoot it off with BB guns.

Oh my God ;)

We did some nutty stuff when we were kids, didn't we? The other dangerous thing I remember was at this floating pier at a lake. A group of kids would be in the water and would duck the rocks that the other kids threw from the shore. I don't know how it was determined who was selected to be in the water, but my guess is that it was not as fun as throwing the rocks. Redneck games. 

They used to do this.  Apparently the 1987 version had Cal Ripken taking a cutoff throw from Dwight Evans and hitting a relay throw home but I can't find that video.

Here's the 1988 version.  It's awful quality, but you guys can get the idea.

If you want to see Joe Carter in a bunt competition, look no further.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps they could play a 9-inning game where the hitters attempt to hit the ball, the fielders try to catch the ball and the pitchers try to strike guys out.  

Snarky Frobby is an underrated Frobby.

At least the MLB All-Star game is the best of the major sports all star matchups.  No, starting pitchers don't go 5-6 innings and the starting fielders don't play the whole game.  But the players on the field generally try to play well while they're on the field.  Bautista sucked, but it wasn't that he wasn't trying.  It's not as intense as it was years ago before the reserve clause was lifted and interleague play outside of the World Series became a thing.  But, the players still try to hit, pitch and field.  NFL, NHL, and NBA don't even think about defense in their games.

• Upvote 1