Jordan Westburg Should Lockdown 2B

johnrambo

Big fan of this guy. Already 24 and very well-seasoned in the minors. He had over 700 ABs in Norfolk and it shows. He's a more experienced player than the typical rookie. I see him as a possible long-term solution to 2B.  Don't think he has an MLB SS type glove. Doesn't need it. The kid has some quick feet and athleticism too. Seems to be a better fit at 2B than 3B. Just let him play. He doesn't look overmatched. He's not tearing the cover off the ball, but does not look overmatched at all. He's holding his own.

Big fan of Frazier myself, but Westburg is the guy moving forward. Frazier gives great ABs, but see Frazier's value as a big time clutch hitter you plug in for big ABs. Especially in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

Big fan of this guy. Already 24 and very well-seasoned in the minors. He had over 700 ABs in Norfolk and it shows. He's a more experienced player than the typical rookie. I see him as a possible long-term solution to 2B.  Don't think he has an MLB SS type glove. Doesn't need it. The kid has some quick feet and athleticism too. Seems to be a better fit at 2B than 3B. Just let him play. He doesn't look overmatched. He's not tearing the cover off the ball, but does not look overmatched at all. He's holding his own.

Big fan of Frazier myself, but Westburg is the guy moving forward. Frazier gives great ABs, but see Frazier's value as a big time clutch hitter you plug in for big ABs. Especially in the playoffs. 

Proven not to be a repeatable skill over a large sample size.  I think there could be some value if you want to pinch hit a guy who is unlikely to strike out, in a situation where contact is needed. 

But I'm not sure who you would pinch hit him for.  Not Uras.  Probably not Westburg.  Maybe Mateo if he was starting, but he's being phased out of the lineup.  So I struggle to see Frazier's value in relation to our other options. 

• Upvote 2

Westburg has been struggling a little bit with the power stroke translating to MLB pitching, but everything else has been good at the plate and in the field. He doesn’t have any very hard hit balls (107 mph max EV) or a barrel yet with a hard hit ball at the right launch angle for a HR, but he has an excellent overall 53.5% hard hit %. Above average Z-contact, which is a great sign considering the K% was the biggest question in his MiL profile, and only a bit below average chase rate. He had 4 balls 95+ MPH last night and definitely very legit power in the minors, so hopefully that’s coming soon.

He should be playing nearly every day and fortunately that’s what the Orioles have been doing with him. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

He should be playing nearly every day and fortunately that’s what the Orioles have been doing with him. 

Yes, but they have been jerking him around between 2B and 3B. I would like to see him have a full go at 2B as OP suggests, with Urias at 3B. 

Nice game by Westburg.  He ranged to his right and left.   He did lose his footing on the play to his right but those are two balls I’m not sure Frazier even gets to tonight.   He’s looking good defensively and the SSS metrics like him too.   Wall ball might rob him of a few homers but he’s shown the willingness to use RF and the power to go out that way.

• Upvote 3

On 7/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Aristotelian said:

Yes, but they have been jerking him around between 2B and 3B. I would like to see him have a full go at 2B as OP suggests, with Urias at 3B. 

I would like to see him get a more sustained run at 2b too.  But long-term, I have been thinking that Westburg might be a candidate for a Ben Zobrist type of roll.  He has minor league experience at 2b, 3b, SS, and a handful of games in corner OF.  I am sure he could handle some 1st too.  Then, the O’s could have an infield of Joey Ortiz, Gunnar, and Jackson Holliday, while still getting regular at bats for Westburg.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I would like to see him get a more sustained run at 2b too.  But long-term, I have been thinking that Westburg might be a candidate for a Ben Zobrist type of roll.  He has minor league experience at 2b, 3b, SS, and a handful of games in corner OF.  I am sure he could handle some 1st too.  Then, the O’s could have an infield of Joey Ortiz, Gunnar, and Jackson Holliday, while still getting regular at bats for Westburg.  

That infield scenario makes it really easy to shift people around if there is an injury to any one of them and still retain an elite defensive infield.

• Upvote 1

Assuming Holliday is a June or July 2024 arrival, what infield alignment would you be most in favor of going forward the rest of the year?

I am hopeful that Mateo is moved soon, and that Ortiz moves up to stay. Does Urias hit enough to be the everyday 3B?

1B - O’Hearn/Mountcastle

2B - Ortiz/Frazier

SS - Henderson

3B - Westburg

UT - Urias

They could put Westburg in a 2B platoon, with Ortiz the everyday SS, and Henderson everyday at 3B. I’d be fine with that. I am not a big fan of moving these young guys around constantly, but they seem intent on doing that. I got an in-person look at Westburg and watched a lengthy infield practice on Sunday. I think he’s better at 2B than he showed earlier. He is fairly athletic as I thought initially. He’s no gold glove candidate, but he can make the plays he should make there and be considered average. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Assuming Holliday is a June or July 2024 arrival, what infield alignment would you be most in favor of going forward the rest of the year?

I am hopeful that Mateo is moved soon, and that Ortiz moves up to stay. Does Urias hit enough to be the everyday 3B?

1B - O’Hearn/Mountcastle

2B - Ortiz/Frazier

SS - Henderson

3B - Westburg

UT - Urias

They could put Westburg in a 2B platoon, with Ortiz the everyday SS, and Henderson everyday at 3B. I’d be fine with that. I am not a big fan of moving these young guys around constantly, but they seem intent on doing that. I got an in-person look at Westburg and watched a lengthy infield practice on Sunday. I think he’s better at 2B than he showed earlier. He is fairly athletic as I thought initially. He’s no gold glove candidate, but he can make the plays he should make there and be considered average. 

I think Urias has hit enough to be penciled in as the everyday third baseman with Ortiz and Frazier as the backups, getting occasional starts over Urias and Westburg against righties, and Ortiz coming in as a defensive upgrade late in games when not starting. Keep O'Hearn and Mountcastle as a pure L/R platoon.

56 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think Urias has hit enough to be penciled in as the everyday third baseman with Ortiz and Frazier as the backups, getting occasional starts over Urias and Westburg against righties, and Ortiz coming in as a defensive upgrade late in games when not starting. Keep O'Hearn and Mountcastle as a pure L/R platoon.

I think many here would agree. I am on the fence.

.251/.319/.383/.702 (WRC+ is 96) is Urias’ current line. I think part of it is that he has not played everyday. I have not liked many of his at bats recently where he almost seemed distracted. I think he is a better hitter than he has shown in 2023, but his production in 2022 was fairly solid (WRC+ was 104). Some might say that his 2022 production was mediocre for a 3B, even for an outstanding defender.

What is the end goal for 2023? Is it truly to win as many games as possible? Or is it to win as many games as possible, while incorporating our young talent into everyday reps on the field? I think ultimately it’s the latter and Urias and Frazier fit into a UT profile with solid bats off the bench on a playoff team. 

Edited by Jammer7
WRC+ added

Westburg's defense at 2B has been outstanding. I continue to think Westburg is an excellent solution there, certainly short term and potentially long term. For now I do not understand why we aren't going with Gunnar SS/Westburg 2B/Urias 3B as basically an everyday lineup.