Thursday, July 20: Orioles vs Rays to begin the biggest series of the Elias/Hyde era

SteveA

Just now, Uli2001 said:

I am not watching, why is everyone so mad? The Orioles just took the lead.

Not mad, just trying to understand Hyde's questionable call to pinch hit Mountcastle for Mateo with two outs and no one on losing his best defensive SS.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Why take out your best defensive infield for the miniscule chance Mountcastle runs into one with two outs and no one on in the 10th? 

Agree completely, the odds of Mountcastle running into one is very low.  Much rather keep Mateo in for defense.

Just now, Winter said:

that moves makes zero sense, you take out the defender and your fast guy who would be the ghost runner in the events its tied into the 11th

Even better point. I forgot about that. WTH was Hyde thinking??

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Wow, is this your way of saying Kjerstad shouldn't play the outfield?  Whenever I see O'Hearn in the outfield, I think what are Hyde/the O's doing?
    • And it looks like he might be able to hit a bit, at least better than Mullin and Cowser (recently), which is a low bar.  He seems to be perpetually fighting some kind of injury.
    • Kjerstad hits first pitch back for a HR
    • There is an organizational philosophy which is probably similar throughout baseball.  It’s up to the individual player to execute it.  No one is telling Cowser to foul off a fastball down the middle and then swing at a breaking pitch a foot outside.   No one is telling Gunnar or Rutschman to swing at pitches out of the zone on 3-2 pitches. The golden rule is to put your best swing on a pitch you can drive when you have less than two strikes.  Pretty simple.   No one preaches to swing at pitches out of the strike zone.   Now some of these guys have come to the major leagues waiting for the perfect pitch (Henderson & Cowser) and had to adjust.  Adley has probably had ongoing conversations about what they preach and what he’s comfortable with.  I believe Adley takes (maybe it’s changing) the first pitch more than any hitter in MLB.   That’s going to lead to walks but it also leads to a lot of 0-1 counts when pitchers aren’t afraid of you hitting the first pitch.  As we know, sometimes the first pitch is the best one you’ll see.   I don’t know what his stats are regarding 1st pitch this year compared to last.  I’ll have to check. Hyde talks all the time about having good at bats.  That’s Hyde for not swinging at pitches out the zone.   Easier said than done.   I certainly don’t believe the FO is telling the hitting coaches to tell all of the hitters to be more aggressive.   O’Hearn has been less aggressive.  Mountcastle had been trending in that direction.  I’m sure they would love to see all of their hitters to emulate O’Hearn’s approach.  Easier said than done.
    • I had to stop watching after about the sixth inning because I had to work, but I was confident that the game was lost, the streak was over, and our long national nightmare was just starting. I was very surprised that we won, because the managing was bad and the hitting was bad, although it wasn’t really bad 11 hits is nothing to be ashamed of. I was also not surprised that we won, because this is a good team. When Mateo backed up that play at short, and the runner couldn’t score,  that was a great fundamental baseball play, and it’s one of the little things that the Orioles do that will continue to separate them from the rest of the league. The New York series showed a really sloppy team, and we’ve played several really sloppy teams. The orioles aren’t sloppy. Despite the problems, it’s still a great team.
    • I think the Grayson/Means load management pot hole is just a few parking spaces over from the Ubaldo "you stink" pot hole.
  • Popular Contributors