MLB article on what it would take to get Shohei Ohtani. Has Orioles trading 5 guys. Boston 1.

Gurgi

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-potential-trade-deadline-deals

ORIOLES PROPOSAL

Orioles get: Shohei Ohtani

Angels get: INF Joey Ortiz (Orioles No. 5 prospect, No. 62 overall), INF/OF Connor Norby (Orioles No. 6 prospect, No. 65 overall), LHP DL Hall (Orioles No. 9 prospect), OF Dylan Beavers (Orioles No. 10 prospect), OF Kyle Stowers.

RED SOX PROPOSAL

Red Sox get: Shohei Ohtani

Angels get: SS Marcelo Mayer (Red Sox No. 1 prospect, No. 3 overall)

• Haha 3

First off stuff like this is nonsense an no one does, or should, take it seriously.

Secondly, while I don't agree with the offers it isn't outlandish, in theory, to think that one highly (#3 overall) prospect is the equivalent to five lower ranked prospects(62, 65, NRX3).

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 2

Just now, waroriole said:

These trade proposals are really ridiculous. Not just Ohtani. The one I saw for Montgomery (Povich and Wagner), a mediocre two month rental, sounds like they were written by sellers. 

I think the Montgomery one is pretty reasonable. 

I think some O's fans just overate their prospects.

Of course I'm not high on Povich.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed on the Montgomery comment.  He'd be a good fit and would still leave ammunition to get a reliever.

The Ohtani deal would be tempting.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m not that interested in giving up two decent prospects for a two month rental when it’s only a solid SP. I’d be more willing to make that trade for Hader, though I’d prefer to find a replacement for Povich. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-potential-trade-deadline-deals

ORIOLES PROPOSAL

Orioles get: Shohei Ohtani

Angels get: INF Joey Ortiz (Orioles No. 5 prospect, No. 62 overall), INF/OF Connor Norby (Orioles No. 6 prospect, No. 65 overall), LHP DL Hall (Orioles No. 9 prospect), OF Dylan Beavers (Orioles No. 10 prospect), OF Kyle Stowers.

RED SOX PROPOSAL

Red Sox get: Shohei Ohtani

Angels get: SS Marcelo Mayer (Red Sox No. 1 prospect, No. 3 overall)

I'd be disappointed if they parted with both Norby and Ortiz for any deal but certainly if it's for two months of Ohtani. I know that they aren't trading for Ohtani.

I am not sure though what the plan is for Norby. He's not a good defender at 2B and if you have all of Westburg, Ortiz, Holliday and Gunnar in the system (and Urias) there really isn't a path for him to the Orioles as an IF. He's probably not going to hit enough to be an impactful COF. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So the Sox trade 1 guy and we trade 5 😂 

The writer is clearly a Red Sox homer

And doesn't make a lot of since given that the Angels have Neto and 3 of their top 7 prospects are Middle Infielders. It's like the dude didn't even do any homework whatsoever. 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah I'd be okay with the Montgomery proposal. I wouldn't be thrilled about it but we really need another starter. I'd try to get away with Rom instead of Povich, if possible.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you knew for a fact that Povich's career trajectory would mirror Bradish's. What would your thoughts be on the hypothetical Montgomery trade?

Would getting Ohtani make us a Top 3 WS favorite? I think so. How many of those five prospects do you actually believe will play for the Orioles? Ortiz and Norby seem  blocked. Maybe Ortiz will be a super utility guy. Stowers will not be playing for us. Hall cannot stay healthy and is a bullpen piece. Beavers is doing ok at Aberdeen. It is a tempting offer.

Maybe Ohtani likes being in the playoffs, maybe he likes that the team will be competing for a WS for awhile, maybe he likes playing with the young guys, etc. We offer 10 years for 500-550 million. Would you play 25-30 million for a middle of the order bat? Would you pay 25-30 million for an ACE? He is both. 

I know it’s a pipe dream but those five prospects would not scare me away from that deal. We will continue to building slowly but Ohtani would give us a Big Bat plus an Ace! The problem would be how do you eventually fit Adley, Gunnar, Holliday, etc in the overall team salary when their numbers start to sky rocket!

Attendance would definitely go up and plenty of money would be coming in! 

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If you knew for a fact that Povich's career trajectory would mirror Bradish's. What would your thoughts be on the hypothetical Montgomery trade?

Debut at 25 effective at 26?

I think the question is more interesting then you expected it to be.

On one hand you are offering me guaranteed value, on the other hand that value isn't manifest until 2026.

I'd probably pull the trigger and try and recoup that value in some other way over the next three years.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I'd be disappointed if they parted with both Norby and Ortiz for any deal but certainly if it's for two months of Ohtani. I know that they aren't trading for Ohtani.

I am not sure though what the plan is for Norby. He's not a good defender at 2B and if you have all of Westburg, Ortiz, Holliday and Gunnar in the system (and Urias) there really isn't a path for him to the Orioles as an IF. He's probably not going to hit enough to be an impactful COF. 

All the more reason to trade Norby. Just like Hernaiz, there's no place to play him. So why not give him an opportunity to have a Big League career by trading him? He is capital/leverage for the top quality pitching we need if he is a part of a package. 

As for Montgomery I'm not sue how I feel about that because he's a rental just like Ohtani and Montgomery has been injured. Even if he isn't injured, it begs rhe questions of "How much is he going to cost to acquire?" and "Is he really going to move the needle all that much from our current pitching staff?"