Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

I have a feeling we wind up with Verlander. Don't know anything about his contract, but I imagine it would be a big hurdle. I just can't see the O's not adding an SP. There aren't really any I really want, but I feel like Elias would invite the familiarity that Verlander would bring. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Awful move 

It's just kicking the tires at this point but we always knew the guy we would be getting would be someone that would piss everyone off lol. Could do a LOT worse though certainly.

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I keep seeing this on here.

Why do people prefer Westburg over Ortiz?  Does Westburg do anything better than Ortiz (MAYBE more power)?

Btw, I’m not trying to knock Westburg, just trying to figure that out as it seems to be the prevailing thought on here.

It is because he is being compared with what Cowser is currently doing.  Not fair to either, but I think that is what’s happening.

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We don't need upside, we need someone to win us a world series right now. I don't think Cabrera is that guy. I would rather sign someone in the offseason than trade a top 100 guy who is already having MLB success for a project. Would he even make our active roster right now? I would be offering Prieto-plus. 

I believe my post said it doesn’t make much sense right now but he, or someone like him, would be a good target in the off-season.   Exchanging excess prospect capital for pitching capital makes perfect sense.

Lorentzen does seem more like an Elias move.   He’s only going to cost 3M and the O’s can probably get him with multiple top 30 guys without dipping into the A prospects.     Now, who would Lorentzen replace.  Gotta figure something is up with Tyler Wells.   They aren’t about to bounce Gibson, Bradish, or Kremer, and GRod looked like he might be something down the stretch run.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Lorentzen does seem more like an Elias move.   He’s only going to cost 3M and the O’s can probably get him with multiple top 30 guys without dipping into the A prospects.     Now, who would Lorentzen replace.  Gotta figure something is up with Tyler Wells.   They aren’t about to bounce Gibson, Bradish, or Kremer, and GRod looked like he might be something down the stretch run.

I think GRod's start tomorrow is going to help tell us if he's going to be the guy we want him to be.

17 minutes ago, Winter said:

Cross David Robertson off your lists, to the Marlins.... Mets return should tell us just about everything we need to know about our next bullpen add

Looks like they got…a couple tasty lottery tickets, but nothing that will help within the next 3-4 years at least.

IF Marco Vargas

Ronald Hernandez

Two young kids who are presently destroying the Complex league with extreme plate discipline moreso than power. Vargas just turned 18 and Fangraphs seems to be highest on him (40+ FV, 9th among Marlins prospects). Hernandez is almost 20, and for that reason seems to be the (nearly) consensus lower-ranked prospect. 

MLB Pipeline has them at #18 (Vargas) and #21 (Hernandez) in a middling Marlins system, although that does feel low on Vargas for me, given his age and outstanding play at the Complex.