Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I’m surprised to not see this being discussed. 

If they are asking for multiple players headlined by Holiday or Kjerstad it was a short conversation.  BTW, he’s been just a 4.00 ERA pitcher this year. You don’t give up those guys for a pitcher with a 4 ERA.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

If they are asking for multiple players headlined by Holiday or Kjerstad it was a short conversation.  BTW, he’s been just a 4.00 ERA pitcher this year. You don’t give up those guys for a pitcher with a 4 ERA.

He’s had one great year and has been pretty pedestrian otherwise. Immensely overrated pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You do if believe 2022 was real.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I love opt outs.  I would usually want to get another year out of the player than a lot of opt outs allow but overall, I’m good with it.

Opt outs are a great way to structure contracts so that you can guarantee a player a certain amount and give them additional value without actually guaranteeing more money. But that’s when you’re trying to sign a player - when you’re acquiring a player that already has one, it’s all downside. They are positive value to a player and negative value to the team. Eduardo Rodriguez would have more trade value right now if he was a true free agent after the end of this season and didn’t have the opt out.

In fact, if the Orioles ever want to get serious about the FA market they are going to need to get comfortable with opt outs, which they were very opposed to in the DD days. They are never going to be able to compete on offering top of the line guaranteed dollars versus the big markets, so their best way to compete is with opt outs, shorter deals and higher AAV (which hit the luxury tax teams harder). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He’s had one great year and has been pretty pedestrian otherwise. Immensely overrated pitcher. 

My only thoughts are the analytics behind it. Cole had pretty pedestrian start to career as well until Astros showed him what he was good at and put a good defense behind him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s looking like Flaherty or Lorenzen.  I’d rather have Flaherty. I don’t think we’ll fool around with Ed Rod’s option. I don’t see the Angelo’s family giving $95 million out of their pockets for Verlander. Plus, I also don’t see the no trade clause waived for Baltimore. Stroman isn’t better that Flaherty. So we are where we are. Flaherty and Carlson would fill holes on the 26 man roster. 

Flaherty's walk rate is very concerning to me. 11.1 BB% this season and 13.2 last season. Unless we think that's something we can fix / address I'd rather just trade for Lorenzen. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, but a career altering injury to ERod or Stroman, before the end of the season comes with fairly low odds.  Stroman, in particular has a good history I believe and I don’t recall a surgery on ERod.   Anything is possible but I would go into a trade for either player thinking there is a very low probability of the opt in.

I understand.  It's a risk, but one that would likely work out as a rental.  I imagine that the Orioles, who seem risk-averse, would be looking elsewhere, but one cannot be certain.

SEA is interesting to watch these 31.5 hours.    The BTV podcast people had a sharp take (I think too extreme, but it is thought provoking) the Seattle's offense is so short, and the FA Bats class so thin, that they may have too many warts for 2024 also if they don't do something.

Obviously Ohtani would make that go away, but to feather the nest for Ohtani, you might not want all of Castillo-Gilbert-Kirby-Miller-Woo-Robbie Ray locked into place.      Dipoto might make the trade this board has been waiting for Kim Ng to make for four years.

Of course IRL Julio's team is as much a playoff contender today as Shohei's team, and SEA will be scoreboard watching cheering for us in Toronto this week.     I still think SEA is better than LAA today.

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

My only thoughts are the analytics behind it. Cole had pretty pedestrian start to career as well until Astros showed him what he was good at and put a good defense behind him.

Gerrit Cole never had nearly 10 BB%. The Ks help offset that a bit, but it leaves very little margin for error. I think Cease more likely much closer to someone like Robbie Ray (as a pitcher) than he is Gerrit Cole. 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

SEA is interesting to watch these 31.5 hours.    The BTV podcast people had a sharp take (I think too extreme, but it is thought provoking) the Seattle's offense is so short, and the FA Bats class so thin, that they may have too many warts for 2024 also if they don't do something.

Obviously Ohtani would make that go away, but to feather the nest for Ohtani, you might not want all of Castillo-Gilbert-Kirby-Miller-Woo-Robbie Ray locked into place.      Dipoto might make the trade this board has been waiting for Kim Ng to make for four years.

Of course IRL Julio's team is as much a playoff contender today as Shohei's team, and SEA will be scoreboard watching cheering for us in Toronto this week.     I still think SEA is better than LAA today.

I heard Dipoto yesterday and he seemed to be dancing around the idea of trading any of the young pitching but he also made it seem more like he didn’t want to trade the established guys.

So maybe Woo and Hancock are more available than the rest. 

They need offense badly, so we will see.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I heard Dipoto yesterday and he seemed to be dancing around the idea of trading any of the young pitching but he also made it seem more like he didn’t want to trade the established guys.

Yeah, i heard him too.   I think something like Woo for Cowser and an 11-20 range prospect seems fair to both sides.    The question would be ... is it worth it?   To me, the answer is yes.    

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So if we dig into Seattle's projected lineup next season both Wong (2B) and Hernandez (RF) will be FAs. If they're actually selling I wonder if Westburg+ would be enough to land us Woo OR Miller and Sewald? 

6 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Yeah, i heard him too.   I think something like Woo for Cowser and an 11-20 range prospect seems fair to both sides.    The question would be ... is it worth it?   To me, the answer is yes.    

If Elias / Sig like Woo and Miller, I'd be fine with it. I know with Miller in particular there's been some talk about his lack of secondaries limiting his ceiling (i.e., you can't just throw all fastballs). And Woo has struggled a bit after a hot start. 

10 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

So if we dig into Seattle's projected lineup next season both Wong (2B) and Hernandez (RF) will be FAs. If they're actually selling I wonder if Westburg+ would be enough to land us Woo OR Miller and Sewald? 

I think two possible "buy-side" formulations right now might be:

A. Matz and Carlson

B. Teoscar and Sewald, if Dipoto gets to the Trey Mancini-Jorge Lopez gameplan and makes Julio Rodriguez and all his All-Star caliber starting pitchers mad.

I wonder if Mountcastle could swing a Sewald/Teoscar get.     A 2024 Mariners offense might be a Goldilocks spot for Mountcastle to get the 650 PA next year he won't be able to earn here.