7/30: A Surgical Strike On ESPN

cboemmeljr

I found the coverage overall pretty favorable to us.  Much more so than some of the Bob Costas coverage from years past.  The Four Muskateers, Adley, et al, got some nice face time and they even talked favorably about quality baseball back in Baltimore.  They did show Elias a few times and talked about the "best farm system in baseball"  There was nothing negative about it imo.

Edit:  Mussina is a Yankee, so who cares. ;)

Edited by drjohnnyfever1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

I did chuckle at the A Few Good Men reference-"you need me on that wall".  I do enjoy hearing a national perspective but the interviews are a bit too much, not much substance.

“You know….for the kids” 

• Thanks 1

Although the broadcast was very favorable to the O's, the team, fans, etc, I thought overall it sucked. They babbled on about the wall, Olney and the Verlander "trade". What I hated most was them having Gunnar miked up and asking questions while on the field. Really???...they were asking questions while the pitcher was winding up. Just stupid shit IMO. The Bautista wasn't much better, at least he wasn't playing at the time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

Although the broadcast was very favorable to the O's, the team, fans, etc, I thought overall it sucked. They babbled on about the wall, Olney and the Verlander "trade". What I hated most was them having Gunnar miked up and asking questions while on the field. Really???...they were asking questions while the pitcher was winding up. Just stupid shit IMO. The Bautista wasn't much better, at least he wasn't playing at the time.

I thought it was a thousand times better then the Fox broadcast. Fox had no strike zone box and the crown noise ftom the mikes where drowning out the announcers, especially in the first few innings. The camera work was also far superior. The overhead shots of downtown Baltimore and the stadium are good for the city. They said it was a really good baseball town and a really good baseball town now. They can criticize a little ,they are not the Oriole  PR   department   they also mike up a player on the field. With the pitch clock the questions come during the pitches.Last year was better with more time. The Joey Votto one was hilarious. 

Edited by Going Underground

Broadcast could've been much worse. It certainly wasn't as bad as the strike zone.

I thought the wall commentary including economic realities -- how small market teams need to change their field of play to compete with bigger budget rosters -- was noteworthy. 

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I thought it was a thousand times better then the Fox broadcast. Fox had no strike zone box and the crown noise ftom the mikes where drowning out the announcers, especially in the first few innings. The camera work was also far superior. The overhead shots of downtown Baltimore and the stadium are good for the city. They said it was a really good baseball town and a really good baseball town now. They can criticize a little ,they are not the Oriole  PR   department   they also mike up a player on the field. With the pitch clock the questions come during the pitches.Last year was better with more time. The Joey Votto one was hilarious. 

I was watching the FOX network.

9 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

On top of that, Gunnar is not a particularly insightful or glib interview...at 22, not every player is Alistar Cooke..and I think it is asking a lot while hes trying to focus on playing a demanding position...In real time..

• Upvote 1