Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter

ChuckS

26 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s an upgrade over our bottom 3 SPs.  Slots 3rd into rotation.

This is where I see him as a small October upgrade also.    Say the Rays still win the division, so we have three games at OPACY against the Jays or Rangers.

I believe you get to set rosters each round, so I know I don't need 13 pitchers for 3 days.    For grins let's just call Enrique Bradfield Terrance Gore as a 5th bench guy.

One stab at 12 pitchers:

FELIX BAUTISTA

Setup - rested Wells, Fujinami, rested Cano

Length - Grayson, Bradish, Flaherty

Wildcards - Means, Hall

Steadies - Coulombe, Kremer, oh okay Kyle Gibson

Baumann, Cionel, Baker are just spillover guys if some of the A listers can't go.

• ChuckS changed the title to Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rom will reach the majors, but his upside is pretty limited and he could be a AAAA type.  

I am excited for Drew Rom....looking at Roster Resource after the Cardinals moves seems like he could be their SP5 tomorrow and have a front row seat for Adam Wainwright chasing Win #200.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Looking forward to Flaherty's first start in an Oriole uniform already.  Maybe he likes the place enough to re-sign with the team?

If he pitches well he will likely end up out of our price range. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Have to study up, but seems like a good move.  Adds needed depth at low cost. 

So I don’t mind losing Showalter. Prieto was never going to play here and unless he hits like he has this year is probably a utility IF. Rom is a project with a 5.00 era abd a 1.5 WHIP at AAA. So 2 guys in our 15-20 ish range. The pitchers are both long shot projects. I can’t be mad but it would be nice if we can keep him longer.

Just took a look at Flaherty's baseballsavant page.

His increased usage of the curveball+cutter with the decreased use of the slider this season may have contributed to his better results in July. 

That's the kind of tweaking I'm hoping can translate for us. 

• Upvote 1

A few Flaherty metrics...he is one of 63 "Qualified" pitchers on August 1, a low seeming number but regular reminder the hedge fund types atomizing all pitching means Clubs these days tend to run about 2 Arms per season that pace to 162-inning workloads.     Five and dive is a feature, not a bug.

Of the 63 hosses shouldering big workloads, Flaherty rates:

-42nd in fWAR, between Giolito and Bassitt

-44th in ERA, between Mikolas and Nola

-53rd in k-bb, between R. Hill and B. Elder      (his 11% walk rate 3rd worst)

-45th in Stuff+, between Giolito and Sears

Giolito and Fried were two years ahead of Flaherty in high school at Beverly Hills 90210.

Jim Hunter on Baltimore Baseball Tonight said that his sources were saying any Orioles trade offer for Dylan Cease were all met with an ask for Jackson Holliday.  Starting Pitching prices were very inflated.  

El Rod was also apparently very tricky, with his op-out.

The Dodgers settled for Lance Lynn and Ryan Yarborough.  

We were lucky to land Flaherty.  

• Upvote 2