Elias …Tidbits after the deadline

Roll Tide

The conversations were ongoing yesterday until the final seconds of the trade deadline. The Orioles got their starter in Cardinals right-hander Jack Flaherty. They kept pushing to find another reliever.

They ran out of time but celebrated their modest haul.

Elias also praised chairman and CEO John Angelos for making the budget possibilities “ample.”

We were up and down the spectrum. We have the wherewithal to do what we needed and wanted to do at the baseball level, and that’s always huge,” Elias said.

The Orioles will expose Flaherty to their pitching program and see if they can get more out of his stuff, which Elias rates as above average across the board. To get him back to 2019 form.

"I think the roster and the chemistry on this team is revealing itself to kind of have the goods to make an October run," Elias said. "Obviously, there's some work involved in that, and health. But look, we're in probably the toughest division in baseball history that I can tell. We've got two months to go. These other teams are right behind us. They're all over .500, they all bought today, I think, and we've got to get through the next couple months and get into the playoffs.

Per Roch

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/more-on-the-impact-of-jack-flaherty-trade-and-yesterday-s-deadline-madness

Man, this guy hasn't made many mistakes over the last five years but I hope he knows what he's doing with this bullpen. I really thought they needed help there more than the rotation and last night certainly didn't calm my fears.  

2 hours ago, vab said:

Man, this guy hasn't made many mistakes over the last five years but I hope he knows what he's doing with this bullpen. I really thought they needed help there more than the rotation and last night certainly didn't calm my fears.  

The only charitable explanation is that he's confident that Wells, Means and Hall will be bullpen options soon.  

Elias has done fairly well particularly with building the farm system and taking a chance picking up certain players but the days of scraping the bottom of the barrel hoping for a diamond in the rough needs to come to an end. Heck, even Tampa and Miami both made more moves this deadline than we did!

If you ask most GMs, they will tell you that developing the farm system should be about either having players help the big league team or using those pieces for adding valuable pieces to make a run. What good does it do having young guys in AAA when you have positional guys on the big league team that aren’t going anywhere anytime soon?

1 hour ago, Os4days said:

Elias has done fairly well particularly with building the farm system and taking a chance picking up certain players but the days of scraping the bottom of the barrel hoping for a diamond in the rough needs to come to an end. Heck, even Tampa and Miami both made more moves this deadline than we did!

If you ask most GMs, they will tell you that developing the farm system should be about either having players help the big league team or using those pieces for adding valuable pieces to make a run. What good does it do having young guys in AAA when you have positional guys on the big league team that aren’t going anywhere anytime soon?

I applaud them for sticking to their principles and plans and doing what goes against the grain of what other GMs do.  They will not be excellent by copycat tactics.  To be excellent they need a their own competitive advantage.  The process is overwhelmingly working.  

• Like 1

MLB ranked the prospects given up in the trades. Can’t locate the article.  From memory.

15. Prieto

30. Rom 

34. Showalter

Baseball America was higher on Rom and Showalter although the write up on Rom was not good.   

15. Prieto

20. Rom

24. Showalter (elite ride on low release 93-95 fastball.   Needs work on secondary pitches.

47. Easton Lucas - 97-98 with shoddy command

Edited by RZNJ

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

MLB ranked the prospects given up in the trades. Can’t locate the article.  From memory.

15. Prieto

30. Rom 

34. Showalter

Baseball America was higher on Rom and Showalter although the write up on Rom was not good.   

15. Prieto

20. Rom

24. Showalter (elite ride on low release 93-95 fastball.   Needs work on secondary pitches.

How does the pitcher Rinehart that we picked up in the other deal rank?  

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

15. Prieto

30. Rom 

34. Showalter

15. Prieto

20. Rom

Seems about right, although I think Showalter, who's only 19 years old, would have developed all those secondary pitches perfectly fine by the time he'd be of college graduating age. He's also a talented athlete who was a 2 way player in high school, so if the national league still had no DH, he would've been a perfect type of pitcher for the NL.

Rom started the year on fire and had a low ERA somewhere in the 2's. Then the Orioles called him up, sat him in the bullpen to do absolutely nothing, and his starting routine was thrown out of whack. After never pitching in the Major Leagues, they optioned him and that's when he started to have some struggles this year. I see the Rom trade as a good way to clear space on the 40 man roster so they could put Flaherty on it.

Prieto, as talented as he is, was blocked from our system so it's a great move sending him to St. Louis where he will get more of an opportunity. I hope it works out for everyone.

• Upvote 1