Thursday afternoon August 3: new Oriole Jack Flaherty takes on old Oriole Kevin Gausman

SteveA

2 minutes ago, justD said:

Ugh.  Good news and bad.  I guess Hays hasn't been on base recently and lost focus or something.  That was awful. 

Especially for someone that plays LF he should know what it's like to be out there and a runner heading home.

Just now, justD said:

I’m not sure how much more set in place you could be before the ball arrives than Kirk was, but that run wasn’t earned by us so I’m okay with it.

I guess. 

Hays fault, he should of steamrolled him, maybe a drop kick and proved he was blocking the plate

Just now, Emory Eagle said:

What else is blocking the plate if not that?  So I guess the rule is, you can block the plate so long as you receive the ball well ahead of the runner?

That appears to be the case or they just make the rules up on the fly.

I grew up in the Rick Dempsey days.  I loved playing catcher as a kid.  I loved the collisions because I was big and usually won them.   It was a hard day when they made the Posey Rule.  

It was all about money.  Contracts got too big and when catchers got hurt it cost them money.  So they changed the rules.  Not for health reasons really it was all about money.