Billy Cook 2023

MurphDogg

On 5/20/2024 at 1:48 AM, Tony-OH said:

Ha, I know you love your boy! ;) 

He is improving but while he's "versatile" in that he has experience at a lot of positions, he's not really good at any of them. He reminds me a bit of Rick Short but shorty was a better hitter overall albeit with a little less power than Cook.

I still think he's an org guy but he may at some point work his way into a major league bench one day. There are worse guys who played in the majors for sure.

He seems like a guy who will get a cup of coffee some time.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He seems like a guy who will get a cup of coffee some time.  

He might, you never know. Either way, he was a fantastic draft pick for his round. He's a classic over achiever who as @RZNJ has pointed out, who has improved in areas like strike zone judgement. 

You never know with guys like Cook. I always remember that Carlos Casimiro once got a cup of coffee so anything is possible. :D

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I always remember that Carlos Casimiro once got a cup of coffee so anything is possible. :D

Wow, there’s a name that didn’t even register with me.  Who was that long time Dominican infielder who never got his cup of coffee and some people were upset?  Maybe 6-7 years ago when he left our system?   

Edit: I looked it up and it was Garabez Rosa.  He spent 12 years in our system, 1280 games, 4987 PA.  Never a cup of coffee in the majors.  His final year with us was the year the O’s won 47 games in Duq/Buck’s last rodeo.   You’d think they could have squeezed Rosa in there.

Edited by Frobby

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, there’s a name that didn’t even register with me.  Who was that long time Dominican infielder who never got his cup of coffee and some people were upset?  Maybe 6-7 years ago when he left our system?   

You are probably referring to Garabez Rosa. He was an organization soldier who some thought deserved a lifetime achievement award by giving him some PAs after the roster expanded in September, especially during the 2018 season.

• Thanks 1

If the Orioles really thought Cook was a potential MLB option, I don’t think they would have sent him back to AA when they didn’t have roster space at AAA early in the season. He’s having a very good year though so he could potentially change their view of him. 

The other obstacle is he may not get a 40-man spot this off-season despite being rule 5 eligible the first time, there’s a lot of potential additions.  If Norby isn’t traded, he’ll get one of them and Cook’s only advantages over Norby are speed and CF defense, which may not be enough (especially if Mateo is still around). And shortly behind them is Fabian, who is Rule 5 eligible after 2025 and offers those things better than Cook (albeit still with big question marks about his K rate). 

I could see Cook threading the needle and get some cup of coffee opportunity between Norby and Fabian if the need arises, but the Orioles have stacked so much bench depth for next couple years there would probably need to be a significant shakeup with trades and/or injuries. 

29 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Orioles really thought Cook was a potential MLB option, I don’t think they would have sent him back to AA when they didn’t have roster space at AAA early in the season. He’s having a very good year though so he could potentially change their view of him. 

The other obstacle is he may not get a 40-man spot this off-season despite being rule 5 eligible the first time, there’s a lot of potential additions.  If Norby isn’t traded, he’ll get one of them and Cook’s only advantages over Norby are speed and CF defense, which may not be enough (especially if Mateo is still around). And shortly behind them is Fabian, who is Rule 5 eligible after 2025 and offers those things better than Cook (albeit still with big question marks about his K rate). 

I could see Cook threading the needle and get some cup of coffee opportunity between Norby and Fabian if the need arises, but the Orioles have stacked so much bench depth for next couple years there would probably need to be a significant shakeup with trades and/or injuries. 

The chances of Cook getting a chance this year are slim and none and slim left town.   Odds are against him getting picked in the Rule 5 too.   Still, he’s the kind of guy who gets a chance somewhere sooner or later.

57 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Orioles really thought Cook was a potential MLB option, I don’t think they would have sent him back to AA when they didn’t have roster space at AAA early in the season....

The other obstacle is he may not get a 40-man spot this off-season despite being rule 5 eligible the first time, there’s a lot of potential additions....

I could see Cook threading the needle and get some cup of coffee opportunity...

Early in the year there wasn't room for a 10th round $100K pick.  Early in the season, the lineup at several times was literally the highest signing bonus to the lowest.  In Norfolk, it is still developmental and the $$$ gets developed.  It doesn't make business sense to prioritize low/late round picks.  If they happen to develop... it is likely on their own doing in their own time.

As pointed out in another thread, Cook's EV isn't not the best.  His size, speed, etc are not elite.  Nothing, in my opinion, says,  "take me and keep me on the 26 man for the year.  I will prove my worth.".  He is likely good enough to keep on the AAA roster to avoid the MiLB draft and if there are enough injuries to get him an early shot, even then at what level would he have to perform to stay up?

Cook is only in his 4th year and the O's have 3 more years (after this year) of control in the minors before he is a FA and can choose not to come back.  With the current AAA pay, it may be enough for him to keep the "grind" and eventually get that cup of coffee.  Look at Banuelos, right spot at right time in a blow out and he will forever be able to say he was an MLB player.

Mr. Billy Cook made a couple great plays yesterday for the Tide.  Both times with Bases Loaded a ball was hit down the RF line and Cook snags the grounders behind 1B, steps on 1B moving toward home and makes perfect throws to Hunt for the tag play at home.  I thought both were well fielded and well thrown.  Kept the game a lot closer than it should have been otherwise.

After his 0-5 game (with 5K) 'Platinum Sombrero'? on 5/26 he was able to forget that quickly.  The last 2 games he has gone hitless in back to back games.  This is the only other time besides earlier in May when he went 0-10 in 3 straight games.  Otherwise, he hits and gets on.  As said above... solid defense flexibility and bat to ball contact.... he may get that cup of coffee before he is done.  And if he gets a cup... he may get some more.  He reminds me of Andrew Vaughn with the White Sox but with not as much power.

• 3 weeks later...

Billy Cook, 25 years old, now 47 games into his AAA career.   .882 OPS and a strikeout rate under 20%.   In 14 games in June, 5 homers, 15 RBI, 8 walks, 9 strikeouts, .333 avg, 1.096 OPS.   Billy Cook keeps improving as he reaches each higher level.   The strikeout rate keeps getting better.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 86this said:

Can Cook be a serviceable utility guy at the ML level?  His offensive numbers are better at Triple-A than in previous minor league seasons.

For Norfolk, Cook has started 29 games at 1B with a .996 fpct. and 5 games each at LF, CF, RF.   He started one game at 3B and made an error and at lower levels played a decent amount of 2B.   I think he’s probably an emergency/last resort guy at 2B/3B and @Tony-OH seems skeptical of his outfield defense in general.  Saying all that, with a LH heavy hitting OF he has a decent shot as soon as next year, especially if Norby gets moved.  Norby, with the ability to play LF/RF/2B would probably be his chief competitor for a backup role.  Also depends on what they do with Hays.