Orioles biggest problem

wildcard

Now that everyone in baseball has seen that Mike Elias can take a poor team and build an organization that makes it one of the best, how do the O's keep him?  In the world of baseball money speaks loudly.    If the Mets owner Steve Cohen decides he wanted Elias how much would he send to get him?

I know Elias has said that O's fans will have to put up with him for a while, which I guess means he is under contract.   But will the Angelos' do what is needed to keep him long term?   Will they make him a minority partner if that is what is required?   

Before this year the thought of Elias leaving did not seem that real.   But now the O's winning has elevated the possibility.  Maybe not right now but at some point.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

I get the premise of the thread for sure, but ultimately it's hard to know what drives people.

For many (probably most if we're honest) money is the driving factor, but that's not always the case.

I know Sig in particular made comments when they left Houston that he really enjoyed the building phase.  Once they got to the point where that franchise was good and humming he was looking for the next challenge.

Maybe Elias would prefer to jump to a bigger market with bigger pockets.  Maybe he likes the challenge of working with a limited payroll and working for an owner who seems to be pretty hands off as far as the baseball side goes.  Maybe he just really likes the Orioles.

Tough to know.

• Upvote 1

If the Orioles' biggest problem is a creeping concern that Mike Elias might leave for another team at some undetermined point in the future when his contract, of which we don't know any of the details, expires... well, I think the organization is in pretty good shape.

This is similar to the folks who see that the Orioles haven't signed a long-term lease yet, so they've begun to develop a detailed life plan for when the team is playing in Nashville and OPACY is a silent, deserted, windswept ruin.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If the Orioles' biggest problem is a creeping concern that Mike Elias might leave for another team at some undetermined point in the future when his contract, of which we don't know any of the details, expires... well, I think the organization is in pretty good shape.

This is similar to the folks who see that the Orioles haven't signed a long-term lease yet, so they've begun to develop a detailed life plan for when the team is playing in Nashville and OPACY is a silent, deserted, windswept ruin.

Would you root for the Nashville Orioles, just curious. 

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't see the two as similar.    MLB hasn't let a team move in a long time.  Attendance is on the rise in Baltimore.  The chances of them moving is so slim its almost nonexistent. 

The chances that big money coming after Mike Elias seems more real to me.   You are right.  We have not insight into the length of his contract or his desire to go anywhere else.

Edited by wildcard

Just now, Frobby said:

Since we know absolutely nothing about how much Elias is paid, how long he is under contract, or how motivated he is to go elsewhere at some point, it’s just not something I worry about.   

What I have seen from Mike Elias is that he knows how to build a winning baseball organization.  I think he will make the hard decisions to trade players for prospects to keep the farm system producing.   Keep the talent coming.   This makes me think that he can keep the team winning for a  long time.

I feel much more confident in his ability to keep the O's winning than I do whether the O's ownership can keep Elias long term.   So the short pole in the tent for keeping the O's winning IMO is not can Elias manage well enough to win long term.  Its will he be with the O's to make it happen in Baltimore.

I wonder if the other 70-win teams in baseball do as much hand wringing as this board does. Threads about losing Elias, a player somehow not hustling on a triple where he scored the winning run, a thread complaining about how the ballpark isn’t staffed up for the crowds. 

I would never come here and tell people how to fan (I’m aware that’s heavily frowned upon around here) but damn, there is not a single tea Iin baseball who can say they have more wins than we do, on August freaking 7th. If you can’t just relax and enjoy this for a bit, what’s the point?

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Now that everyone in baseball has seen that Mike Elias can take a poor team and build an organization that makes it one of the best, how do the O's keep him?  In the world of baseball money speaks loudly.    If the Mets owner Steve Cohen decides he wanted Elias how much would he send to get him?

I know Elias has said that O's fans will have to put up with him for a while, which I guess means he is under contract.   But will the Angelos' do what is needed to keep him long term?   Will they make him a minority partner if that is what is required?   

Before this year the thought of Elias leaving did not seem that real.   But now the O's winning has elevated the possibility.  Maybe not right now but at some point.

IMO Elias would not be the kind of candidate that would be attractive/palatable at all in the New York market.

The type of tear down/tank that he was allowed to oversee he would not be tolerated in New York amongst Mets or Yankees. Ever consumed much of their media? The don’t support losing and especially not over multi-seasons.

While Elias has done a wonderful job of building the org from the ground up, what remains to be proven is if he can successfully guide a sustained period of winning. Friedman didn’t get the Dodgers to come calling right away and neither will Elias.

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I wonder if the other 70-win teams in baseball do as much hand wringing as this board does. Threads about losing Elias, a player somehow not hustling on a triple where he scored the winning run, a thread complaining about how the ballpark isn’t staffed up for the crowds. 

I would never come here and tell people how to fan (I’m aware that’s heavily frowned upon around here) but damn, there is not a single tea Iin baseball who can say they have more wins than we do, on August freaking 7th. If you can’t just relax and enjoy this for a bit, what’s the point?

I totally agree with all of this!

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

You just have to come to peace with the fact that 10-20% of the population is unhappy pretty much no matter what. And they post as much as any other people. I'm absolutely certain there are Braves fans who are beside themselves with how poorly the organization is run.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO Elias would not be the kind of candidate that would be attractive/palatable at all in the New York market.

The type of tear down/tank that he was allowed to oversee he would not be tolerated in New York amongst Mets or Yankees. Ever consumed much of their media? The don’t support losing and especially not over multi-seasons.

While Elias has done a wonderful job of building the org from the ground up, what remains to be proven is if he can successfully guide a sustained period of winning. Friedman didn’t get the Dodgers to come calling right away and neither will Elias.

Yankee fans still sometimes talk about the Alvaro Espinoza years like they were this epic wandering in the wilderness, bleak, dark era that deeply scarred everyone from Newark to Albany for life. That was a four-year period where they averaged 74 wins, followed by making the playoffs like 19 times in 24 years including winning four Series in five years.

The biggest concern should be whether Angelos is willing to spend money to extend core young players and supplement with actual quality free agents (and not just 1-yr deals for the Gibson’s and Frazier’s).

Even if Elias/Sig were to leave town tomorrow, the team has so much controllable young talent accumulated that they have a window of competitiveness during the next 4 yrs at least during Rutschman’s rookie contract. The $$$ is going to decide the peaks that the team will hit during that time and whether they can extend that window.

25 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

This

• Upvote 1