Orioles Claim Jacob Webb

oriolediehard

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/orioles-claim-jacob-webb-waivers-angels.html 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/angels-designate-jacob-webb-for-assignment.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/webbja01.shtml

The Orioles announced Monday that they’ve claimed righty Jacob Webb off waivers from the Angels. In order to open a spot on the 40-man roster, right-hander Austin Voth was transferred from the 15-day IL to the 60-day IL. Voth has already been out since mid-June due to elbow discomfort.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/orioles-claim-jacob-webb-waivers-angels.html 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/angels-designate-jacob-webb-for-assignment.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/webbja01.shtml

The Orioles announced Monday that they’ve claimed righty Jacob Webb off waivers from the Angels. In order to open a spot on the 40-man roster, right-hander Austin Voth was transferred from the 15-day IL to the 60-day IL. Voth has already been out since mid-June due to elbow discomfort.

I assume he has options? Not sure who he would replace. Probably better than Gillespie on the 40-man.

Interesting. Out of options so somebody has to go down, presumably Krehbiel. 

Results are bad but Stuff+ loves him. 114 overall with a 130 fastball. Bautista’s fastball is 133, for comparison. Webb’s fastball is 91st percentile spin and 72nd percentile velo. 

Seems like a guy worthy of taking a flier on to see if you can tweak something. He has an issue with walks and despite the great fastball data he throws less than 50% fastballs, so seems like an obvious first step is just to increase the fastball usage. 

Unusual move for a first place team to snag an out of options guy off waivers who has struggled, but I’m intrigued by any arm the Orioles bring in with this kind of profile. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm just glad we won't be seeing Voth any time soon. 

Voth just pitched a rehab game yesterday, tossing a scoreless inning for Norfolk.  He’s been on rehab since at least July 27.   Therefore, unless his rehab assignment has been reversed, the O’s will need to decide whether to activate him or release him by August 26.  So I guess Webb has 18 days to show what he can do.   

Baseball Savant says

4 seamer       .197 batting average against   speed 94.9

Change up     .167 batting average against   speed 85.9

Sweeper         .231 batting average against   speed 83.9

How did this guy get to the O's on waivers?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jacob-webb-657097?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Edited by wildcard

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Voth just pitched a rehab game yesterday, tossing a scoreless inning for Norfolk.  He’s been on rehab since at least July 27.   Therefore, unless his rehab assignment has been reversed, the O’s will need to decide whether to activate him or release him by August 26.  So I guess Webb has 18 days to show what he can do.   

Dang it, I was afraid of that!

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw Voth in a rehab game at AAA.   Couldn't get out of the 1st.  Hopefully he gets better.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Baseball Savant says

4 seamer       .197 batting average against   speed 94.9

Change up     .167 batting average against   speed 85.9

Sweeper         .231 batting average against   speed 83.9

How did this guy get to the O's on waivers?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jacob-webb-657097?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Good question.  At this point, everyone else except Atlanta would have to have passed on him.

Just now, wildcard said:

I saw Voth in a rehab game at AAA.   Couldn't get out of the 1st.  Hopefully he gets better.

Wouldn't be the first time this year that we put a reliever on rehab, realized that they actually weren't healed/ready, and returned them to the IL.