Could Elias call up our 19-year old SS phenom?

Greg Pappas

We all LOVE Jackson Holliday.   It doesn't get better than being the #1 overall prospect in baseball (still in the minors, at the very least) and performing like it at every level.   While I've dismissed the idea that Holliday could rise to the big leagues this year with only two months to go, could I be underestimating the chances?   Though fairly rare, 19-year old phenoms have been impact players in the majors, with Griffey Jr, Trout, Harper, and Soto, among them.  Is it possible that Elias would seriously consider it?   The Orioles have done this once before with Manny Machado (20. not 19), but that was before Elias' tenure.  Besides, it doesn't seem to fit Elias' 'every level' promotion strategy.   As well, I'd think the O's would be wary of hurting his confidence if he got off to a Cowser-like start.

I can't recall where I've read it, but it seems that at this time Gunnar is understandably the better defender at SS.   So, were the O's to bring Holliday up, you'd think getting a lot of play at 2B would have already occurred.   

Again, it's very unlikely, but wouldn't come as a complete shock... just a mini-heart attack shock. :P

What say you?  Is there even a 5% chance they bring him up?  Do you feel he could he make an impact this season or believe, as I do, that they should continue his progression and hope to see him early next season?

Edited by Greg Pappas
Manny was 20, not 19

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Manny was needed then. Is Holliday needed now?

IMO, he's needed as much as Manny was. 

It's not apples to apples, but we needed Manny to shore up the IF defense and provide a little bit more offense. He did a lot to anchor down the IF defense by taking over at 3b and giving us an absolute lock tight left side of the IF with Hardy. IIRC, we had a few guys butchering 3b (was it Reynolds and CD?), and that also allowed Reynolds to just stick around at DH and CD took over 1b, where he turned out to be really good for a while. We needed him in a more literal, probably more desperate sense than we need Holiday right now. 

But say we do bring up Holiday. He plays SS the rest of the way (presumably). Gunnar plays 3b the rest of the way. Fraizer and Westburg platoon 2b while O'Hearn and Mountcastle platoon 1b. This isn't really Holiday vs Mateo (which is an easy one), it's really more like Holiday vs Urias in a round-about way when you factor in some defensive configurations. In the Ortiz thread, I said I thought Urias would out perform Ortiz the rest of the way offensively, and I still think that. I do not think Urias would out perform Holiday offensively the rest of this season. 

Machado was the piece that solidified us as contenders. Today, we are already contenders. Holiday could be the piece that turns us into World Series champions.

• Upvote 1

It would be pulling a Gunnar. Get Holliday some ABs in September so that he will be in a better position to win ROY next year and to win us a draft pick. If he plays well, he gets postseason ABs. 

I think it happens. Hopefully, we’ll call it pulling a Miggy Cabrera. The Marlins won the WS. 

It would take several injuries to get Holliday to the majors this year.  Ortiz is ahead of him on the call up list and with Urias, Gunnar, Westburg, Mateo and Frazier on the team they are not bringing up Holliday to sit or  get very few at bats.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

It would take several injuries to get Holliday to the majors this year.  Ortiz is ahead of him on the call up list and with Urias, Gunnar, Westburg, Mateo and Frazier on the team they are not bringing up Holliday to sit or  get very few at bats.

Sorry, WC. I think this is massively flawed thinking. I understand where you're coming from, but this ain't show friends, it's show business. I don't give a flying crap who's paid their theoretical dues ahead of Jackson Holiday. If ME thinks Holiday can come up and produce, then he better do it.