Could Elias call up our 19-year old SS phenom?

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You appear to think that Holliday is immune to the adjustment to the majors that many other O's rookies go through.  That is on the offensive side. On the defense Holliday does not have Gunnars arm or range at this point in his young career.

You sound star struck with Holliday.  I agree Holliday will probably be a star player once he is an established player.   He seem like Bobby Witt Jr to me.   But even Witt had a .216 average in his first 74 at bats.  And the O's do not need that in a pennant race.

Fact is the O's will probably not need Holliday at all this season.  There is probably not be a good reason to start his major league clock.

Let's be nice about this, WC. I'm definitely not star struck, so let's not walk around putting words in each other's mouth. The comp to Manny was a good one. People used to talk about Manny's prospect pedigree, and Holiday's is even greater. He hasn't struggled anywhere yet whatsoever. I'm not predicting him coming up and batting .340 or OPS .1000 the rest of the way, but I think he can be better than Urias, Mateo, and Ortiz, and make us an overall better team. 

Saying we don't need him this year makes no sense. An all star team should strive to get better if it can. If trying to put yourself over the hump to win a World Series championship isn't a good enough reason, then what the hell is? LOL

Edited by Sanfran327

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our 40 man can withstand losing Keegan Akin. He’s out of options for next year. 

Not the point.  Several prospects will need to be added to the 40 man this winter.  Jackson Holliday does not.  So Akin could come off for Kjerstand, as an example.  But, it will take more than Akin to accommodate all of the players that will need to be added much less  someone that doesn't.

18 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

If you truly think Ortiz is a .500 OPS type of player based off of 33 AB half a season ago, then let's just stop replying to each other. That's not a good faith argument.

He got his 33ABs. So did Westburg, Cowser and Stowers. Give Holliday his 33ABs. 

• Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Let's be nice about this, WC. I'm definitely not star struck, so let's not walk around putting words in each other's mouth. The comp to Manny was a good one. People used to talk about Manny's prospect pedigree, and Holiday's is even greater. He hasn't struggled anywhere yet whatsoever. I'm not predicting him coming up and batting .340 or OPS .1000 the rest of the way, but I think he can be better than Urias, Mateo, and Ortiz, and make us an overall better team. 

Saying we don't need him this year makes no sense. An all star team should strive to get better if it can. If trying to put yourself over the hump to win a World Series championship isn't a good enough reason, then what the hell is? LOL

You just have a much higher opinion of Holliday's impact in the majors this season than I do.  Yes, Holliday has hit in the low minors.  And he is hitting at AA in a hitters league.  But he has not played at AAA and he may not be immuned to the adjustment period that many rookies  have in the majors.

Manny was promoted for his defense in 2012.   The O's don't need help with their defense.   They have the third fewest errors and the 3rd highest fielding percentage in the majors.  One point below the leaders in MLB.  

I said it would take several injuries to get Holliday to the majors this year and most of the posters in this thread don't think Holliday will be promoted to the majors this year.  Its not just me.

Ortiz has a 976 OPS in AAA in 257 at bats. And his fielding is probably better than Holliday right now.   He looks more prepared to help the O's if an infielder is needed than Holliday IMO.

Edited by wildcard

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You just have a much higher opinion of Holliday's impact in the majors this season than I do.  Yes, Holliday has hit in the low minors.  And he is hitting at AA in a hitters league.  But he has not played at AAA and he may not be immuned to the adjustment period that many rookies  have in the majors.

Manny was promoted for his defense in 2012.   The O's don't need help with their defense.   They have the third fewest errors and the 3rd highest fielding percentage in the majors.  One point below the leaders in MLB.  

I said it would take several injuries to get Holliday to the majors this year and most of the posters in this thread don't think Holliday will be promoted to the majors this year.  Its not just me.

Ortiz has a 976 OPS in AAA in 257 at bats. And his fielding is probably better than Holliday right now.   He looks more prepared to help the O's if an infielder is needed than Holliday IMO.

I would not underestimate the difficulty of what Jackson is doing even if it's at AA and not AAA.

AA is arguably more competitive than any other level. Unlike the lower minors, everyone at AA is good. And you don't have the guys who are on cruise control at AAA.

Plus the jump from A+ to AA is arguably biggest step up in talent from one level of the minors to another. And it's doubly difficult when you're making that jump during your first full professional season of professional baseball and by far the longest of your life when most guys are hitting a wall.

To continue OPSing 1.000 despite all of that speaks for itself. Guys who do that are the few who front offices sometimes just say screw it, there's nothing to see at AAA.

All that being said, I think Ortiz probably adds more value to this team right now because of his defense. I doubt Jackson is ready to man an infield position at 19. He seems to care very much about being a good defender, but that's a work in progress for most baseball players and comes with experience.