John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

15 minutes ago, Natty said:

I hope Means does great. 

But don't get your hopes up everyone. Look at his career stats each year. Got average written all over it. Yes he pitched a near perfect game no hitter. 

Other than that... Bradish has a lower ERA now than Means ever had in any year.

Mean's numbers at Norfolk are concerning, especially the Walks. So im not expecting much. Maybe a small upgrade over what Gibson has done since the ASB. Not a high bar to clear and even that im not very sure of.

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Mean's numbers at Norfolk are concerning, especially the Walks. So im not expecting much. Maybe a small upgrade over what Gibson has done since the ASB. Not a high bar to clear and even that im not very sure of.

3.74 ERA in the minors. These are guys who can't hit mlb pitching.

We can only hope Means is better than Gibson, who keeps getting worse.

14 minutes ago, Natty said:

3.74 ERA in the minors. These are guys who can't hit mlb pitching.

We can only hope Means is better than Gibson, who keeps getting worse.

Some people are acting like the king is returning to his rightful heir and immediately return to his dominant 2021 self.

I expect an adjustment period learning how to pitch again with his rebuilt elbow. Hopefully it only takes a few starts to find himself.

2 hours ago, Natty said:

I hope Means does great. 

But don't get your hopes up everyone. Look at his career stats each year. Got average written all over it. Yes he pitched a near perfect game no hitter. 

Although I agree that it is unrealistic to expect Means to pitch at his best, I think the rest of your post is pretty off base. First, Means' career ERA+ is 121. That ain't average. Second, Bradish is having a fantastic year. Excellent enough that Bradish's name comes up when journalists are writing about pitching awards. Bradish having a lower ERA this season than any of Means' seasons says nothing about Means. And even Bradish's results this year are closer than you may think. In Means' best year to date he had an ERA+ of 131. That isn't far behind Bradish's 2023 ERA+ of 139. Means' ERA+ in 2021 was 123 and it was 122 in 2022.  

Edited by Ohfan67

2 hours ago, Natty said:

I hope Means does great. 

At this rate, Bradish will have the lowest ERA of any qualified O’s starter since Mike Mussina in 1992.  So, I don’t think it’s any indictment of Means to say that Bradish has a lower ERA than Means ever had.  Means has a career ERA+ of 121.  That is excellent, not average.  I am not expecting him to post an ERA+ that good in 2023 fresh off TJ surgery, but he could be h helpful to give guys some rest down the stretch.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

At this rate, Bradish will have the lowest ERA of any qualified O’s starter since Mike Mussina in 1992.  So, I don’t think it’s any indictment of Means to say that Bradish has a lower ERA than Means ever had.  Means has a career ERA+ of 121.  That is excellent, not average.  I am not expecting him to post an ERA+ that good in 2023 fresh off TJ surgery, but he could be h helpful to give guys some rest down the stretch.  

Obviously agree with your point, but just want to remind some that Mussina pitched in a very different offensive era. Mussina’s performance relative to his peers was significantly higher than Bradish’s performance relative to his peers. 

On 9/9/2023 at 5:53 PM, Ohfan67 said:

Obviously agree with your point, but just want to remind some that Mussina pitched in a very different offensive era. Mussina’s performance relative to his peers was significantly higher than Bradish’s performance relative to his peers. 

Well yes.  Like I said, Bradish is at 139 ERA+, highest since Bedard’s 146 in 2007.   Mussina had seasons of 164 (1994), 157 (1992) and 145 (1995). 

I’ve stood on this soapbox before, but Mussina would have had an excellent chance to win 20 games in both 1994 and 1995 but for the labor stoppage that ended the ‘94 season and delayed ‘95.   In ‘94, Mussina won 14 games in 25 starts and lost 10 starts to the strike.  In ‘95 he won 19 despite losing at least 3 starts to the strike.  Those were 2 of his best 3 seasons by ERA+.   

• Upvote 1