Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

I still don't understand how people think it's better for Cowser to play twice a week up here instead of every day in AAA. They sent Grayson down to reset himself, and it worked. Cowser needs a reset and no pressure right now. Hyde is absolutely right in saying he's in between right now. I get it, Hicks is an easy target to blast but he had almost 1/3rd of Cowser's season total hits in 1 game tonight.

Calling people foolish and stupid for not taking this as a serious mistake in the development of Cowser by not letting him flail away at nothing and make mental errors in the field in the middle of trying to win the division, is well, foolish and stupid.

I've said it a ton, if you aren't going to play him every day, send him down. If you are going to play him every day, then don't complain about the record if it trends down. 

I know, I know, they are winning with him up here, but he isn't really playing so he's not really helping them win. He'll figure it out and be a good player but they'd be doing him a disservice by keeping him up on the ML club just to play a couple of times a week.

I am a big Cowser fan but I have no problem with him going down in a much less pressure situation at AAA and getting his swing straight.  If Hicks is hurt again you bring up McKenna and let him play twice a week.  There could be further injuries and Cowser could still help this team in Sept if he gets everything together.  

• Upvote 1

Our ability to develop guys down on the farm is far better than it used to be in the dark ages. Optioning a young player to AAA isn't a death sentence to their career in this organization; it's more like helping someone with the best damn remedial education money can buy. I think Cowser will be much improved when he returns to the bigs.

The real question is, when? I think I'm in the 2024 camp on that. It's August 15 and the O's have a 3 game lead in the division. Now's not the time to help youngsters learn on the job at the MLB level. Now is the time to put the best MLB team together we possibly can, every night, with all eyes on the upcoming championship.

On 8/14/2023 at 11:05 PM, Frobby said:

Neither has looked that good.  Hicks plays very deep and is not that fast.  Cowser gets bad jumps and is very tentative.   Honestly I think Hays is better in CF than either of them.  And that’s not a compliment.  

Even in Hicks's short time with the Orioles, I've seen enough catches and intelligent corralling of base hits by him to know that I prefer him without a doubt to Cowser out there. Yes, Hays is better than either but I think he'd probably get himself injured in the expanses of CF quicker than in LF, tbh.

Edited by LA2

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

I am a big Cowser fan but I have no problem with him going down in a much less pressure situation at AAA and getting his swing straight.  If Hicks is hurt again you bring up McKenna and let him play twice a week.  There could be further injuries and Cowser could still help this team in Sept if he gets everything together.  

If not only McKenna but yet another corner outfielder is needed, I'd rather put Frazier or Mateo out there. That's how screwed up I think Cowser got while up here.

• Confused 1