Colorado Series

ShoelesJoe

Orioles 79 - 48

Rockies 48 - 79

Now that's just great symmetry! You talk about matching up. And, anyway this series goes, symmerty is retained. Man, I gotta get a life! 

82 - 48 / 48 - 82  or  81 - 49 / 49 - 81 or 80 - 50 / 50 - 80 or 79 - 51 / 51 - 79 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Brian Burres had a 5.95 shuttling between the rotation, the pen, and purgatory….

Rob Bell ha a 5.94….

Paul Shuey... oof... Paul Shuey gave up 28 runs in 25 innings….

Jim Hoey had a 7.30 ERA

I had the pleasure of attending the 30-3 debacle.  Our old friend Daniel Cabrera “only” gave up 6 runs in 5 innings.  That was followed by: 

Burres 8 runs in 0.2 innings

Bell 7 runs in 1.1 innings

Shuey 9 runs in two innings

Many people forget that the 30-3 game was only the first game of a doubleheader.   The O’s actually had a chance to win the nightcap, taking a 7-6 lead in the bottom of the 7th inning.   But then in the 8th, in came

Hoey 3 runs in 1 inning

And the O’s lost 9-7.   It ended at almost 12:30 am.   I had to drive home to Bethesda and get up like 3 hours later to catch an early flight to…

Dallas, where I had to take crap from Rangers fans all day.

I am  not a fan of Messrs. Burress, Bell, Shuey and Hoey.  I get a bit of PTSD seeing all those four names in one post.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Malike said:

A's took 2//3 from the Braves earlier this season, baseball is a weird game, and even the worst teams are still professional baseball players for the most part.

I believe the separation between bad teams and contenders is much wider late in the season.

Most bad teams have traded their assets and/or checked out for the year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I remember thinking Brandon Erbe was going to be our Ace. Man, we made some awful picks in the aughts.

I got a hit off that guy, in either HS or travel ball can't remember which.  I was way late on two FBs, and then he threw me a forkball or splitter probably just to mess around given how pathetic I looked on the first two pitches, but it hung up in zone.  I also hit two doubles in a game off Steve Johnson and he picked me off second base right afterwards both times... 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I believe the separation between bad teams and contenders is much wider late in the season.

Oakland was 10-45 going into that series, I don't think it's any less shocking they won 2/3 in May vs what happens now.

1 minute ago, Emory Eagle said:

I got a hit off that guy, in either HS or travel ball can't remember which.  I was way late on two FBs, and then he threw me a forkball or splitter probably just to mess around given how pathetic I looked on the first two pitches, but it hung up in zone.  I also hit two doubles in a game off Steve Johnson and he picked me off second base right afterwards both times... 

Nice!

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I wonder if there is evidence to support this, and how big the effect is.  It does seem logical that deadline trades strengthen the contending buyers and weaken the non-contending sellers.  It also makes sense that teams may check out once they’re out of contention (see: 2023 New York Yankees).   

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had the pleasure of attending the 30-3 debacle.  Our old friend Daniel Cabrera “only” gave up 6 runs in 5 innings.  That was followed by: 

Many people forget that the 30-3 game was only the first game of a doubleheader.   The O’s actually had a chance to win the nightcap, taking a 7-6 lead in the bottom of the 7th inning.   But then in the 8th, in came

Hoey 3 runs in 1 inning

And the O’s lost 9-7.   It ended at almost 12:30 am.   I had to drive home to Bethesda and get up like 3 hours later to catch an early flight to…

I am  not a fan of Messrs. Burress, Bell, Shuey and Hoey.  I get a bit of PTSD seeing all those four names in one post.

I remember that you had gone to that doubleheader.  Because I remember you had posted and that you were going and I remember thinking, "Man, Frobby picked a ****y game to go to...and there's one more after this!"

I didn't know about the other part where you had to fly to Dallas the next day.  That must have really sucked.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hoey 3 runs in 1 inning

Wasn't that also the day where they announced the extension for Trembley, right before the first game?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

So, being me, I had to test this a little.  I looked at every team that finished under .400 from 2013-22, except for the shortened 2020 season.  There were 26 such teams.  I compared how they did in the first 108 games (2/3 of the season) with the final 54 (1/3).   

Of the 26 teams, 17 did worse in the final third than they’d done in the previous two thirds, 7 teams did better, 2 did exactly the same.  On average, the teams were 2.1 games worse than “expected” based on the record at the two-thirds mark.  That’s a drop in winning percentage of about .040 in the final third.   

So, I’d say the effect exists, but it’s not huge.  

The worst discrepancy was the 2017 Tigers, who were 51-57 at the two-thirds mark, but went 13-40 the rest in the way, 12.5 games worse than “expected.”  The biggest gainer was the 2018 Royals, who were 34-74 at the two-thirds mark, but went 24-30 in the final third, allowing the Orioles to fall below them and get the first pick in the draft.