Attending first game in a long time

DenPA2002

20 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

Plan on eating somewhere at the harbor before the game. But yes, I saw $8 hotdogs and $$ beer. This trip is more about convenience than cost. 

I was going to ask about best seats but I couldn't get registered before I wanted to buy them so I went with section 50 based research. Never sat that close for MLB game. Pretty excited about that.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! 

Black wall Hitch has happy hour from 3-6, Monday through Friday  Discount on drinks and food and $1.00 oysters.

24 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

It is at the end of the Harbor,closer to Little Italy ,so uber might be a good bet.

Does the city still utilize the e-scooters that I read about? That would allow us to check out a few more spots around the harbor. 

The other place that caught my eye was Rusty Scupper Restaurant & Bar.

Edited by DenPA2002

17 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

Does the city still utilize the e-scooters that I read about? That would allow us to check out a few more spots around the harbor. 

As an out of towner, one place that might be easy and on the way to Camden is Pratt Street Ale house. Maybe there are better spots that a local can recommend.

It'll probably be busy there, though.

Walking from the area Blackwall Hitch is in isn't too bad if you don't mind walking. It's just about a mile. I usually post up in a hotel near the Harbor East area and we don't have issues walking to and from games from there assuming the weather is okay.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

Some of the permits where not renewed. I think Spin and one other is still around  Have to download their app. Always fish one out of the harbor. Scupper is not my favorite but nice view of the harbor .Some people I know like it. 

1 hour ago, DenPA2002 said:

The Charm City Circulator runs near Camden Yards and one way goes down Pratt Street and free. Runs like every 20 minutes or so.

Chb.c. City Department of Transportation
https://transportation.baltimorecity.gov/charm-city-circulator

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Which game are you attending?   Cole Irvin is starting tonight, and as far as I can tell the Orioles have not yet annouunced Saturday and Sunday starters.

Looks like Bradish is pitching Saturday. Still TBA for Sunday.

4 hours ago, DenPA2002 said:

Long time equals 10+ years. I've been to about 20 games at Camden Yards (including the inaugural, 2131, and a few playoff gams). Jr Oriole season(s) ticket holder at Memorial Stadium. Ticket's were $3 each for 10 games.

I have tickets for Monday and really hoping the rain holds off. I looked on CBS sports for the rotation so maybe those are just guesses.

Should be in the area by 3pm. Do they have scooters to use in the city?

Yes they have scooters that you swipe your credit card. 

4 hours ago, dzorange said:

As an out of towner, one place that might be easy and on the way to Camden is Pratt Street Ale house. Maybe there are better spots that a local can recommend.

It'll probably be busy there, though.

Walking from the area Blackwall Hitch is in isn't too bad if you don't mind walking. It's just about a mile. I usually post up in a hotel near the Harbor East area and we don't have issues walking to and from games from there assuming the weather is okay.

I dig that place - was my stop from back when it was Oliver’s. 

There are scooters in the downtown area, and a protected bike lane, so if you're cruising around the harbor it's a good option. If you want water during the game definitely bring in some bottled water. If you're looking to do something fun before the game, top golf is fun with a group. 

I usually bring food, or pick up a sandwich in fells/little Italy.

The stadium has some good food, it's just not cheap. As someone already mentioned, Vida Taco's behind home plate is good tacos, you can get 3/15. The rotating local stand that's on the third base side is also good. They have fuzzy burgers this weekend. The beer selection is good, but pricy. The Taco place also has margheritas. They also have all your normal hard seltzers. 

Regarding the light rail and strategy of riding: we come from the south when we use it (Glen Burnie/Cromwell).  So after really busy/crowded games, we find it helpful to walk a block or two to a station farther north, so that we can catch a south-bound train before it hits the OPACY stop, where the crowd tends to mass for the trains right after the game lets out. 

That way, we get on the very first train we see, and we don't have to stand on the way back.

You're going the opposite way after the game.  So to do this in reverse (walking south to catch a northbound train before the OPACY stop), there's only one station to walk to before you hit the water (Hamburg Street station, outside of the Ravens stadium), but it might be worth a try. 

EDIT:  Of course I'm talking about leaving immediately after the game and competing with that crowd... if you're doing other stuff in the area afterward then you don't have to worry so much.  Just check the MTA Light Rail site so that you're aware of when they stop running trains. 

Edited by Morgan423

Thanks for all the information. We had a great time- of course a 9-0 win is icing on the cake.

No issues with light rail. It was empty at 2:30pm and everyone fit on to the first train after the game. 

Walked over to Federal Hill Park and then to the 'Top of the World' attraction. That was pretty cool view of the entire area. 

Had dinner at Blackwall Hitch which was excellent. Crab cakes had zero filler and were amazing. Even went off menu for a special dessert of crème brulee. 

Great seats in section 50 and when 4 tall people sat in front of us we moved 2 rows back. lol My sitting tip would be that seats 1 and 2 in section 52 are better than section 50 seats 11 and 12 because you have a clear view across the aisle. Seems like I could have bought the cheapest ticket and sat anywhere for a Monday crowd. Really not any bad seats around the infield.

Looking for another game.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1