Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

so. this is actually helpful for the speculation game 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22760-ulnar-collateral-ligament-ucl-injuries

How are ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) injuries classified?

There are three grades of UCL sprain injuries:

• Grade 1: The ligament is stretched but not torn.
  • Grade 2: The ligament is stretched and might be partially torn.
  • Grade 3: The ligament is completely torn.

What are the symptoms of an ulnar collateral ligament injury?

Mild to moderate symptoms include:

• Pain and tenderness on the inner side of your elbow during or after a session of overhead arm activity.
  • Pain with a fast forward movement of your arm.
  • Weak or unstable feeling at your elbow.
  • Weak or clumsy hand grip.
  • Loss of ability to throw as fast or hard.

Symptoms of a torn ligament include:

• Feeling a sudden pop along the inside of your elbow.
  • Severe pain.
  • Loss of ability to throw.
  • Tingling and numbness in your pinky and ring fingers. This means your ulnar nerve is also pinched or injured.

Edited by Santandah

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Look at all the previous World Series winners and show me the ones where their most valuable player was their closer. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

A better experiment would be to name the closer on the last 10 world series winners right now without looking. You know that would end badly if a person had to answer without using Google. I'm sure in 5 minutes or whatever, someone will have the list and act like they knew it.

Does that mean closers don't matter because they're inherently fungible, or is it that closers don't matter if the rest of your team is so good that it lessens the importance of the closer? If it's the latter, I don't think the rest of the 2023 Orioles are at that level as evidenced by almost every team statistic being mediocre.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

Does that mean closers don't matter because they're inherently fungible, or is it that closers don't matter if the rest of your team is so good that it lessens the importance of the closer? If it's the latter, I don't think the rest of the 2023 Orioles are at that level as evidenced by almost every team statistic being mediocre.

Relievers just don't directly impact enough innings to be that important.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's pretty disrespectful of Elias to just assume that Beat Writers have the wherewithal to Google something.

The answer is the degree of injury. If it's a strain, maybe this year with rest. If it's any kind of tear. Nope., not this year. If it's a minor tear, maybe he avoids TJ surgery. If it's a major tear, then TJ surgery. Guessing if he had a yes or no answer and had complete results, he would say. But sure doesn't sound good. 

Edited by Santandah
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Relievers just don't directly impact enough innings to be that important.

I get that, and I understand I'm verging on woo-woo territory. But I think the innings they impact aren't fully accounted for in an analysis that purely compares the value of one player to another. The game literally ends and the result is directly transformed from a win to a loss if they don't perform. I haven't even fully convinced myself, just a thought experiment.

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't know, I do know that Ryan Pressly closed out 5 of the 6 games in the WS and he's not an elite reliever, he was worth less a win last year and .5 this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Santandah said:

The answer is the degree of injury. If it's a strain, maybe this year with rest. If it's any kind of tear. Nope., not this year. If it's a minor tear, maybe he avoids TJ surgery. If it's a major tear, then TJ surgery. Guessing if he had a yes or no answer and had complete results, he would say. But sure doesn't sound good. 

Also. If we're looking for any ray of hope, they put Felix on the 15-day IL, not 60. So MAYBE JUST MAYBE, there's a chance it's just a strain -- or at least they did not see a full tear during initial tests. 

Edited by Santandah

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's pretty disrespectful of Elias to just assume that Beat Writers have the wherewithal to Google something.

Kind of interesting to see him testy for the first time I can remember. This could be reading too much into it, but he looked stressed last night after Felix was taken out too. Usually cool and collected.

1 minute ago, Santandah said:

The answer is the degree of injury. If it's a strain, maybe if it's any kind of tear. Nope. If it's a minor tear, maybe he avoids TJ surgery. If it's a major tear, then TJ surgery. Guessing if he had a yes or no answer and had complete results, he would say. But sure doesn't sound good. 

If we're lucky it's a strain or minor tear and Bautista rests up until next spring. Even then Bautista's velocity could be down or it effects the movement on his pitches.

I'm hoping this off-season Elias has the ability to go out and sign Josh Hader or acquire another bullpen arm for depth. Throw the fans a bone John Angelos.