TonySoprano

MOTY  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins Manager of the Year

• Brandon Hyde
    • Bruce Bochy
    • Scott Servais
    • Other (Please Name)

The Orioles are 13 games ahead of where they were at this point in 2022 with over a month to go.   They screwed over Hyde last year, would they do it again?   Texas already has 4 more wins than all of last year.  Thanks to their recent 8 game slide, Seattle has tied them for the division lead.

Yeah, yeah, I know, let's see how September plays out, but who has done the best job to date?

As of today, I’d say Hyde. But it’s absolutely true that you need to let September play out.  I think Boche has done a great job in Texas, but the Rangers are in free fall right now and could be anything from AL West champs to out of the playoffs.  

I think Hyde wins.  I'm not convinced that he's really that great of a manager, but with the turn around we've had and having the best record in the AL, I think it's his award to win.  As noted, we have to see how September goes, but I think if the vote was taken today he'd win.  

If the O’s finish as the 1 seed, when they were picked to finish last in their division, it would be criminal for Hyde to not win. He should have won last year and he should win this year.

That said, I think if the Rays somehow manage to hang around the division lead, Kevin Cash probably wins it. Tampa’s issues with pitching and the Franco stuff will be highlighted to build the case that he’s done the best managing job. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As of today, I’d say Hyde. But it’s absolutely true that you need to let September play out.  I think Boche has done a great job in Texas, but the Rangers are in free fall right now and could be anything from AL West champs to out of the playoffs.  

The Rangers also have a huge payroll. Everyone thought the Orioles would regress this year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Before Texas' 8 game slide I figured it would be Bochy in a slam dunk just because of reputation and they have mostly the same team from last year.

Bochy?  Really? The same Bochy who was handed Matt Scherzer, Jordan Montgomery, Aroldis Chapman, Chris Stratton in August?

3 minutes ago, Osornot said:

Bochy?  Really? The same Bochy who was handed Matt Scherzer, Jordan Montgomery, Aroldis Chapman, Chris Stratton in August?

Yeah, Bochy! Really! Did you not read what I said? 🙄 Even before getting those players, Texas was one of the top 1-2 teams in the AL after losing 94 games last year with pretty much the same team.

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The Rangers also have a huge payroll. Everyone thought the Orioles would regress this year. 

They do have a huge payroll, but they had a huge payroll last year and won 68 games.  Boche has the players who were on the team in 2022 playing well.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

They do have a huge payroll, but they had a huge payroll last year and won 68 games.  Boche has the players who were on the team in 2022 playing well.   

He also has the additions of Eovoldi, deGrom, and Heaney.  Plus Montgomery and Scherzer at the deadline.  

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

If Hyde doesn't win, I will "second guess" the voters!!!!!

Brandon Hyde not winning Manager of the Year could become the new PECOTA predicts the Orioles to finish last.

I'm pretty sure the Sigbot has things synced up with PECOTA, ZiPS etc, and that Buck era kind of thing won't be happening anymore.