The DBacks Series

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Westburg has been on the team for 57 games.   Frazier has started 33 games since them.  That certainly suggests he’s sitting against RHP sometimes.   Frazier made 24 starts in May, 19 in June, 17 in July, 13 in August.   

Yes he did sit against a righty or two. He also had his thumb issue and another issue of being banged up which I cant remember which caused him to miss several, not getting "benched" - those 33 games are an indication of those injuries as well, not just Westburg taking his playing time. Since he came back from his thumb he has started every game vs righties. My original statement was that the indication is that he will start pretty much every day (certainly there may be one or two sprinkled in) vs righties. 

4 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Yes he did sit against a righty or two. He also had his thumb issue and another issue of being banged up which I cant remember which caused him to miss several, not getting "benched" - those 33 games are an indication of those injuries as well, not just Westburg taking his playing time. Since he came back from his thumb he has started every game vs righties. My original statement was that the indication is that he will start pretty much every day (certainly there may be one or two sprinkled in) vs righties. 

Well, hopefully he’ll hit better in September than he did in August.  But I don’t think Frazier’s salary has much to do with how much he’ll play.  In my mind, Hyde has done a good job of mixing and matching and keeping everyone involved but fresh.  I think he will continue doing that, but will tweak his mix according to who’s hitting well and who isn’t.   And obviously, small injuries that we don’t necessarily hear a lot about, like Frazier’s thumb, will affect things.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

When Cole Irvin gives you 5.2 and only gives up 4 runs, you gotta win that game. This would be a very bad time to go into a slump. Someone has to step up besides Gunnar and O'Hearn. Gut check time.

It's my feeling we don't have very good offensive numbers against the NL and while I tried to find our Interleague hitting stats as a team to back that up  it seems almost purposeful that stat sites either don't keep this information or don't want you to know it.

Edited by Fan4Life

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

When Cole Irvin gives you 5.2 and only gives up 4 runs, you gotta win that game. This would be a very bad time to go into a slump. Someone has to step up besides Gunnar and O'Hearn. Gut check time.

Four runs in under six is not good. That's a 6.30 ERA. You're going to lose that game most of the time. Agree we need to score more against Davies but let's not pretend Irvin had a good game. He gave back the lead right after we went up in the first, was in and out of trouble most of the game, and then gave up the dagger to friggin Christian Walker. Time to move him to the bullpen and see what Means has?

37 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

It's my feeling we don't have very good offensive numbers against the NL and while I tried to find our Interleague hitting stats as a team to back that up  it seems almost purposeful that stat sites either don't keep this information or don't want you to know it.

The O’s have a .701 OPS vs. NL teams and are averaging 4.18 runs per game.  They have done considerably better vs. AL teams.  You can find this on the BB-ref team batting splits page.  Scroll down and click on “Show Opponent” and then “interleague play” is shown at the top.

While it’s true that the O’s have not hit very well against NL teams, i think it’s one of those fluky things that happen in a baseball season.  It’s not like NL teams have magical powers.  The AL as a whole averages 4.50 runs/game against the NL.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The O’s have a .701 OPS vs. NL teams and are averaging 4.18 runs per game.  They have done considerably better vs. AL teams.  You can find this on the BB-ref team batting splits page.  Scroll down and click on “Show Opponent” and then “interleague play” is shown at the top.

While it’s true that the O’s have not hit very well against NL teams, i think it’s one of those fluky things that happen in a baseball season.  It’s not like NL teams have magical powers.  The AL as a whole averages 4.50 runs/game against the NL.

Thank you! One of the items I think has kept the O's at the top is the BA with runners in scoring position (couldn't see that stat there). Even if this was considerably lower it still underscores your point that it isn't some NL magic.. just is what it is.  But a team BA of .240 is definitely under-performing. 

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Two of the several stat lines about O'Hearn that strike me are his slash with RISP (.328 / .361 / .469 / .830 in 72 PAs) and his 1.070 OPS vs. LHP--SSS of 21 PAs, but already includes 2 homers, a triple, a double, and 2 walks. What a remarkable season he's having.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Four runs in under six is not good. That's a 6.30 ERA. You're going to lose that game most of the time. Agree we need to score more against Davies but let's not pretend Irvin had a good game. He gave back the lead right after we went up in the first, was in and out of trouble most of the game, and then gave up the dagger to friggin Christian Walker. Time to move him to the bullpen and see what Means has?

Who said it was good? But that's what you get from Irvin. He gave up two HRs on pitches middle/middle. Otherwise he was effective. What is clear is that if you only score 2 runs when the opponent scores 4 you lose all those games. Walker has 29 HRs this year. That's more than anyone on the O's. He's a friggin good hitter. 

18 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Who said it was good? But that's what you get from Irvin. He gave up two HRs on pitches middle/middle. Otherwise he was effective. What is clear is that if you only score 2 runs when the opponent scores 4 you lose all those games. Walker has 29 HRs this year. That's more than anyone on the O's. He's a friggin good hitter. 

36 HRs last year w OPS+ of 126--135 so far this season. But before anyone puts him on the list of supposedly mishandled former Orioles, it shd be remembered that both the Braves and Reds also put him on waivers afterwards. The D-backs then claimed him in 2017 and it wasn't until two years later that he began to his his stride, at the age of 28. I'm glad he's done well. Seems to hit with power now against both RHP and LHP.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Today is a must win game only if every game for the rest of the season is a must win game.

The O's don't have to win out.

It’s the difference between winning 5 consecutive series and losing 3 of their last 4 games.

Good teams don’t lose 3 of 4.

• Downvote 1