Counting down as the ‘23 Orioles match some of the O’s winningest teams

Frobby

On 9/12/2023 at 12:58 PM, Frobby said:

There’s a few random things I remember about the 1968 season.  I was 11 years old that summer, really in just my second full year of closely following the team.  

In those days, most games were not broadcast on TV, and certainly Orioles games were not broadcast on any DC-area local station.  So, I rarely got to see Orioles games on TV, and when I did, it was watching a very snowy Baltimore Channel 13 and moving our TV antenna this way and that to try to keep the picture visible.  And that’s how I watched the Tom Phoebus no hitter.   To this day, I’ve never seen another one in its entirety.   And it was thrilling, even though I couldn’t see the ball half the time because the picture was so fuzzy.  Ah, the good old days!  (NOT)

I remember everyone being surprised when Earl Weaver was named to replace Hank Bauer.  First, it was a bit surprising that Bauer was fired in the middle of a winning season, two years removed from winning the World Series.  Second, it seemed like Billy Hunter was the heir apparent, and people were surprised that the relatively low profile (to the public) Weaver was chosen.   Obviously, that turned out to be a great choice.  

The one other regular season game etched in my brain (not entirely accurately) came on July 19, when the O’s were trailing the Tigers by 7.5 games and desperate to cut their lead in some head to head games. I heard this one on radio, which is how I experienced most games in those days. The O’s were leading the Tigers 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th, two outs with a runner on, and light-hitting Tommy Matchick at the plate.  A back-up infielder, hitting .225 with one career homer.  And damned if he didn’t hit a walk-off homer against Moe Drabowski!  I’ve never forgotten that, 55 years later.  I knew then that there was no way we were catching the Tigers that year.  (I say my memory was not entirely accurate because I’d remembered it as a grand slam, but it was merely a 2-run heartbreaker.)

I also watched pretty much every minute of the World Series, as those games were televised and played during the day.  Classic 7 game series that Detroit came from 2 games down to win, with Mickey Lolich, on two days’ rest, outdueling Bob Gibson in Game 7, pitching his third complete game of the Series.   I was rooting for the Cardinals but you had to admire what the Tigers did to win that Series.   And happily, that was the end of the Tigers’ run, with the Orioles beginning their period of utter dominance of the AL the following year. 

That game is etched in my memory as was the Sun headline "Matchick Strikes, Orioles Burn"

Last night, with 12 games remaining in the season, the Orioles won their 94th game, tying the win totals of the 1965 and 1982 Orioles for 14th place among all-time winningest Orioles teams.  In the pre-wild card era, neither of those teams made the playoffs, but there was way more drama in the 1982 season than in 1965.

The ’65 Orioles were coming off a 97-win season where they had been in first place a good chunk of the time but had faded in the stretch run.   They more or less stood pat over the winter, except for trading away Mike McCormick and Bob Saverine and acquiring Don Larsen.  That strategy didn’t work, as the O’s  played good not great baseball pretty much all year.   They never were in first place for a single day, and though they got as close as 1 game out as late as June 26, it was downhill after that, and they never were closer than 5 games out after July 30, falling as far as 10.5 games behind in late August and early September, before finishing in 3rd place, 8 games behind the 102-win Minnesota Twins.  They never had any long losing streaks, but they just didn’t have enough sustained hot spells either.  The highlights of that year were the influx of some young talent.  Curt Blefary won Rookie of the Year, hitting .260 with 22 homers and 70 RBI (and a 139 OPS+, not that anyone knew what that meant).   Paul Blair, who had briefly debuted in 1964, became a regular in ’65.  Mark Belanger made his debut towards the end of the year.  And 19-year old Jim Palmer made his debut, throwing 92 inning to a 3.72 ERA but walking 5.5 batters per 9.  On offense, a lot of the mainstays had mediocre years, including Brooks Robinson, league MVP in 1964, who did have a solid season (and of course won a Gold Glove) but significantly down from his superb ’64 campaign.  The same was true of Boog Powell.  Overall, the offense finished 6th in runs scored, muting the excellent pitching, which was tops in the league in ERA at 2.98, though no pitcher won more than 15 games (Steve Barber) and the second-winningest pitcher was reliever Stu Miller (14). Overall, the season was a disappointing half-step back from 1964, and O’s management probably realized that it had been a mistake to stand pat the prior winter and that they needed to add an offensive catalyst.  Hmmmm, who could they get to improve the team for 1966?

By contrast, the 1982 season was a thriller that went down to the final day of the season.   Coming off a strike-shortened 1981 campaign in which the O’s never really got up a head of steam, the O’s parted ways with the aging Mark Belanger and traded 3B Doug DeCinces to the Angels for OF Disco Dan Ford, planning to replace DeCinces at 3B with rookie Cal Ripken.  The O’s got off to a painfully slow start, losing 9 games in a row beginning with the 4th game of the year to quickly fall to 2-10, 6.5 games out of first place by April 23.  It took the O’s until June 8 to dig out of that hole and finally climb over .500 at 27-26, but they were 7 games back by then.  During that stretch, Earl Weaver gave 3b Cal Ripken a game off in the 2nd game of a May 31 doubleheader, the last game Cal would miss for the next 17 years. On July 1, Weaver made another big decision involving Ripken, moving him to shortstop in place of Lenn Sakata and Bobby Bonner and shuttling other players to cover 3B.  From there to mid-August the O’s played a little better but fell to a season worst 8 games behind the division leading Brewers on August 13, when their record stood at 59-53, and deteriorated to only 4 games over .500 at 61-57 as of August 19.   That’s when the team finally got going.  The O’s went on a rampage, winning 17 of their next 18 games and suddenly they were 20 games over .500, only 3 behind the Brewers as of Sept. 7 at 78-58.  From there, they more or less kept pace with the Brewers for the next three weeks, going 13-9, remaining 3 games out, and heading home to Baltimore for a season ending 4 games with the league-leading Brewers, and needing to sweep them to overtake them for first place.   And, they came tantalizingly close.   They won the first three games, including a Saturday doubleheader, to tie the Brewers with one game left to play.  With that win, the Orioles had won 33 of their last 43 games.  But, with their aging ace Jim Palmer on the mound, Milwaukee had all the answers on the final day, sending Palmer to the showers after allowing 4 runs in 5 innings, and piling on the bullpen to win going away, 10-2.   The game marked the intended last game of Earl Weaver’s career, and the crowd stayed behind after the loss to cheer Earl and the team in an amazing show of love and appreciation in front of a national TV audience.  It was a painful loss, but set the stage for the team to come back loaded for bear in 1983, determined not to be denied again.

The ’82 O’s outplayed their Pythagorean record by 4 games, finishing 5th in runs acored and 7th in ERA, in a 12 team league.  Outstanding offensive performers included Eddie Murray, who hit .316 with 32 homers and 110 RBI, was an all star, won a Gold Glove, and finished 2nd in the MVP voting.  Rookie Cal Ripken won Rookie of the Year by hitting .264 with 28 homers and 93 RBI.  The Lowenstein/Roenicke platoon monster produced 36 homers and 104 RBI in left field, and Earl Weaver used his bench as only he could, milking them for 15 homers and 78 RBI in 219 pinch hit at bats.   On the pitching side, the big story was Jim Palmer, who at age 36 after three years of declining numbers, summoned his inner Cy one more time, throwing 227 innings to a 3.13 ERA (3rd in the league), finishing 15-5 and 2nd in the Cy Young voting.  If he had been able to summon his magic one more time on the last day of the season and pitch the O’s to the AL East crown, I suspect he would have won his 4th Cy Young.  But alas, he and the team fell just short, and that was Palmer’s last year as a front-line starter.  It was an amazing run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By winning their 95th game tonight, with 11 games remaining the 2023 O’s tied the 1961 team for the 13th most wins in team history.   But at the time the ’61 team accomplished it, 95 was the new Orioles record for wins in a season, and only the second winning season the team ever had, after winning 89 games in 1960.  After the ’60 season, the O’s made two major trades, including trading 5 players to the Kansas City A’s for Whitey Herzog and Russ Snyder, and trading Jerry Walker in a deal that brought Dick Hall and Dick Williams.  So, the O’s acquired two future Hall of Fame managers (Herzog and Williams) that winter.  Too bad they weren’t Hall of Fame players as well! 

As many of the best Orioles teams seemed to do in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, the 1961 team got off to a slow start, and as of June 21, they were still a .500 club at 33-33, and already 9 games out of first place.  And though they played 62-34 ball the rest of the way, they never got any closer than 6.5 games and finished 14 games behind the 109-win Yankees, one of the greatest Yankee teams of all time, led by Rober Maris’ 61 homers and Mickey Mantle’s 54.  The O’s also finished far behind the second-place Tigers, who won 101 games that year. For that Orioles team, it was all about the pitching: the team finished 8th/10 in runs scored, but tops in ERA at 3.22 in a very hitter-friendly year.   The standout offensive performer was Jim Gentile, who in his second full year in the majors, clubbed 46 homers and knocked in 141 runs, while hitting .302.  Gentile was an All-Star and finished 3rd in the MVP voting behind Maris and Mantle.  Nobody else really made a lot of noise, although Brooks Robinson received his second straight All=Star nod and second straight Gold Glove (+16 Rtot), while having a so-so (.730 OPS) offensive year.  On the pitching side, though, five starters threw enough innings to qualify and each won 10+ games, led by Steve Barber (18-12, 3.33 ERA in 248 IP), Chuck Estrada (15-9, 3.69 ERA in 212 IP), and Milt Pappas (13-9, 3.04 ERA in 196 IP, good for 4th in the AL in ERA), at ages 23, 23 and 22.  The team had both the best starter ERA in the majors (3.37), and the best bullpen ERA (2.73), led by Hoyt Wilhelm (2.30) and Billy Hoeft (2.02).  It was an excellent team, but far outdistanced by a supernova Yankees team that was in the second year of winning 5 straight pennants.  

• Like 1

With their 97th win today, the 2023 Orioles have matched the accomplishment of four past Orioles teams, putting them in a tie for the 8th-best record in Orioles history, with 6 games remaining.   One of those prior teams, the 1966 club, won the World Series, while another, the 1973 team, won the AL East.  The 1964 and 1977 teams narrowly missed postseason play.  I’ll break this up into four posts, just for ease of reading.

The ’64 team followed a good-not-great ’63 team that had won 86 games and finished 18.5 games behind the Yankees, who had won their 4th straight AL pennant.  Over that winter, the O’s traded slugging 1B Jim Gentile to the Kansas City A’s for Norm Siebern, and traded Richard Yenka to Cleveland for Harvey Haddix.

It took the team a few weeks to get going, as they began 9-9, but then they took off, tying for first place on May 20 at 19-12.   They hovered in or around first place through June 21 at 39-25, but then took command, winning 7 in a row and leading by as much as 4.5 games.   They played good baseball throughout the summer, and still had a share of the lead as late as September 18 at 89-61.   But despite going 8-4 the rest of the way, they lost out to the hated Yankees, who finished their season on a 15-4 run, winning 99 games to finish 2 games ahead of the Birds.  It was close but no cigar. 

The ’64 O’s were led by an MVP performance from Brooks Robinson, who batted .317 with 28 homers and 118 RBI in the  finest offensive season of his career, and of course winning a Gold Glove with a +17 Rtot performance.  22-year old left fielder (!) Boog Powell had a huge breakout year, hitting .290 with 39 homers and 99 RBI.  But overall, as was typical for the 1960-65 squads, the offense was nothing special, finishing 6th of 10 teams in runs scored.   It was pitching that carried the O’s, with the team posting a 3.16 ERA, 4th in the league.  19-year old rookie Wally Bunker went 19-5 with a 2.69 ERA, Milt Pappas went 16-7 with a 2.97 ERA, and future Hall of Famer Robin Roberts went 13-7 with a 2.97 ERA.  Stu Miller (3.06 ERA in 97 relief innings, Dick Hall (1.85 in 87.2 innings and Harvey Haddix (2.31 in 89.2 IP) anchored an excellent bullpen that led the league with a 2.79 ERA.  

The team’s 97-65 record was the best in team history to that point, but it wasn’t quite enough.

• Upvote 3

Frank.  Robinson.  Need I say more?

The 1960-65 O’s included some very good teams that won 94, 95 and 97 games, but they were always a little light on offense.  So on December 9, the Orioles traded star pitcher Milt Pappas, Dick Simpson and Jack Baldschun to the Cincinnati Reds and received outfielder Frank Robinson in exchange.   The rest is history. 

The 1966 O’s wasted no time, beginning the season winning 12 of their first 13 games.  They scuffled a bit after their hot start, reaching their low point of 24-17 on May 30, at one point dropping to 4.5 games out of first place.  But then the Orioles turned on the jets in June, and never looked back.  They won 56 of their next 81 games to reach 80-42, a season-high 13.5 games ahead.   They coasted in from there, to a final 97-63 record. 

Frank Robinson was everything the team possibly could have hoped for, not only winning the MVP and the Triple Crown (BA/HR/RBI), but also leading the league in runs, OBP, SLG and total bases, in addition to bringing a fiery style of play and leadership that lit a fuse under everyone around him.  Several teammates also had great years.  Brooks Robinson had 100 RBI, won a Gold Glove and was 2nd in the MVP voting.  Boog Powell had 34 homers and 109 RBI and finished 3rd in the MVP voting.  Luis Aparicio joined Brooks as a Gold Glove winner, his 7th such award and 2nd as an Oriole.   The offense, which had finished 6th in runs scored in 1965, let the AL in that category in 1966.  The pitching remained excellent, finishing 4th in ERA at 3.32.  20-year old Jim Palmer was inserted into Pappas’ slot and went 15-10 with a 3.46 ERA; 23-year old Dave McNally went 13-6 with a 3.17 ERA; 21-year old Wally Bunker went 10-6 with a 4.29 ERA, and 28-year old grizzled vet Steve Barber went 10-5 with a 2.30.  The bullpen also was stellar, led by Stu Miller (9-4, 2.25 ERA) and Moe Drabowski (6-0, 2.81). 

Despite finishing with the best record in the majors, the ’66 O’s were heavy underdogs going into the World Series against the defending champion Dodgers, led by all-world Sandy Koufax (27-9, 1.73 ERA).   But the O’s shocked the baseball world, sweeping the Dodgers in four games and shutting them out in the final three, with Bunker, Palmer and McNally all tossing shutouts.  Frank Robinson’s solo homer stood up as the winning margin in a 1-0 finale, and Frank capped off his dream season by winning the World Series MVP.   It was the first pennant and World Series Championship for the Orioles.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1