Rays series

Sports Guy

18 minutes ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

People need to vent. Better they yell at us then at their wives or kids

I always thought the stereotype of a guy in a wife-beater with a Budweiser in hand taking his team's losses out on their wives or their dogs was just a joke. I guess it's a real thing? I can't reconcile it in my head, but maybe it's a real thing. Maybe the people most upset are the ones losing money on the team, I don't know. Even at my most rabid fandom, I've never once considered screaming at my wife after a tough loss, why is it her fault?

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

LOL.

My SO kept saying last night, "They lost the last two nights.  They're really going to lose tonight."  She said it about six times throughout the course of the game.

When I announced to her they had indeed lost last night, she repeated it again, "They lost the last two nights.  I can't believe they lost tonight."

I had to in my most restrained voice say, "I know they lost the last two nights.  You don't have to keep repeating it."

Then I went out the garage and had a nice beer in silence.  LOL.

I'm maturing.

Hahaha.. .awesome :D I'd like to think I'm maturing as well but I think it's more just being tired of hitting my own thumb with the hammer

Cash was on MLB radio earlier and sort of suggested that there was no pressure on his team and that they aren't phased by anything going on right now. Hard to argue, they look loose right now. Hopefully, they revert back to the July version of the Rays at some point.

I don't particularly see the O's crumbling under pressure themselves, but this is new for them and they are being gut-checked at one of the most important times during the regular season. We'll see what it looks like Monday morning when the dust clears.

It was only when they put a bracket graphic on screen illustrating the hard bracket for the AL playoff structure that I internalized regardless of who wins the AL East, Rays-Orioles would be the ALDS matchup if the 2nd place Eastern finisher defends home field successfully during the ALWC round against whichever of SEA/TEX/TOR ends up with the sixth best record.

Gunnar may get a lot of Colin Poche-Jake Diekman practice.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Cash was on MLB radio earlier and sort of suggested that there was no pressure on his team and that they aren't phased by anything going on right now. Hard to argue, they look loose right now. Hopefully, they revert back to the July version of the Rays at some point.

I don't particularly see the O's crumbling under pressure themselves, but this is new for them and they are being gut-checked at one of the most important times during the regular season. We'll see what it looks like Monday morning when the dust clears.

You mean Thursday morning when the dust clears. This series is followed by a 3-game series at Houston. On Thursday morning we are going to know what the Orioles' chances are to get the #1 seed.

28 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It was only when they put a bracket graphic on screen illustrating the hard bracket for the AL playoff structure that I internalized regardless of who wins the AL East, Rays-Orioles would be the ALDS matchup if the 2nd place Eastern finisher defends home field successfully during the ALWC round against whichever of SEA/TEX/TOR ends up with the sixth best record.

Gunnar may get a lot of Colin Poche-Jake Diekman practice.

Are you sure? It makes no sense that the #1 seed would get the highest WC seed if Minnesota loses in the WC round.

3 hours ago, Malike said:

I always thought the stereotype of a guy in a wife-beater with a Budweiser in hand taking his team's losses out on their wives or their dogs was just a joke. I guess it's a real thing? I can't reconcile it in my head, but maybe it's a real thing. Maybe the people most upset are the ones losing money on the team, I don't know. Even at my most rabid fandom, I've never once considered screaming at my wife after a tough loss, why is it her fault?

I grew up in a safe house (dad never beat us) but when the Raiders lost, I can remember Dad yelling f-bombs and it was like the roof was going to come off - we'd all head for the hills. Same thing with Oregon Duck games throughout my life. 

Aggression is pretty common amongst dudes and there's a lot of angry men out there.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are times when I really hate reading the Hangout, though I can’t help myself.  I guarantee you the players are not as panicked as many of the posters here appear to be.  The fact that the team hasn’t been swept in a series is highly unusual and I think it has spoiled some fans into expecting that this team will never experience any significant adversity.   But, even good teams do.  The players will weather the storm.  I’m not saying they’ll definitely win the division, but they’re not going to curl up into a ball and suck on their thumbs.

The game thread has been unbearable. It's always bad, I get that, but the negativity lately has been over the top. Last night I realized it was actually detracting from my experience of the game. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The game thread has been unbearable. It's always bad, I get that, but the negativity lately has been over the top. Last night I realized it was actually detracting from my experience of the game. 

Same here.  I'll hop on about once a week thinking the thread will be positive....nope.

There are a handful of posters that are funny and positive...but they are drowned out by the Debbie Downers.

Edited by yark14