Elias' 2023 Offseason acquisitions grades

Tony-OH

Great compilation and hard to argue with any of the grades.  The only one I'd change is the C for Frazier to a D.  Frazier has been very clutch at times, but I still feel we would have gotten more value out of a full year of Westburg and/or Ortiz at a fraction of the cost.

• Upvote 1

Great post @Tony-OH, forgot half of those guys came and went.  I only have comments on two grades. 

I think I would go a little higher, probably a B, on Gibson.  He really ate up some innings for us this year at a pretty reasonable salary.  A lot of other free agent starters from last offseason really crashed and burned this year.

I would also like to grade the Tyler Nevin move an A+ because, well, Tyler Nevin was not an Oriole this year. 

• Haha 1

I'd stick with your grade for Frazier. He is an enigma. He's awful defensively and mostly offensively. But, he has been clutch (I do think that is a thing) and for me, the payroll is so low that the money doesn't matter. I think I still would have liked to see what Ortiz and Westburg would have done with that playing time but his hit in the Tampa series alone gardners a C grade!

O'Hearn has been the big winner and IMO, negates all of the signings which have hurt us in any way and then some.  1.4 million for MOO bat, who has led our team in batting average and slugging.  

Value wise, he has to be our best acquisition in awhile.  The only offensive player I can think taken off the screap heap over the last decade who provided similar value, was Steve Pearce.  

Edited by ChuckS

Pretty much agree with the individual grades, but I don't think that is really a great way of looking at it. This is because the contributions of O'Hearn and Coulombe have been so much higher than any cost of the minor moves not working out. All the minor league free agents and waiver pickups had zero downside so I basically wouldn't weight them at all.

Viewed collectively, given $23M, is Frazier, Gibson, Coulombe, and O'Hearn a pretty good outcome? I'd say yes, maybe could have done better, but that's a solid haul at the price. There's maybe 5 WAR there in that group.

As far as the individual grades, I would be inclined to go a little higher than C on Gibson and Frazier. They have been useful and performed as expected. Perhaps the only negative is the opportunity cost of potentially getting someone better.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I'd stick with your grade for Frazier. He is an enigma. He's awful defensively and mostly offensively. But, he has been clutch (I do think that is a thing) and for me, the payroll is so low that the money doesn't matter. I think I still would have liked to see what Ortiz and Westburg would have done with that playing time but his hit in the Tampa series alone gardners a C grade!

You do make some good points.  But I think Westburg would have been consistently better offensively, defensively, and on the base paths for the entire year and thus far outweighed the nice clutch moments Frazier has had.  Also, Ortiz and Westburg are not super young prospects but in their mid twenties and were MLB ready at the beginning of the year.  Being blocked by Frazier stole a year of their ML development time.  The Frazier signing didn't make sense short term or long term.  But in Elias' defense, my guess is he was surprised Westburg and Ortiz were ML ready at the start of the season and thus saw Frazier as a means to give them more AAA development time (even though they didn't need it).

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It would be interesting to review the grades people gave for the overall offseason at the time.

It would be hard to give anything below a B+ overall.

I don't think I ever offered a grade but I was disappointed that Gibson was our "Big" FA signing. In hindsight, several of the FA pitchers that I would have liked the O's to sign either stunk or got hurt so as I constantly have to remind myself, sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. I did think there would be a slight digression this year. I was thinking maybe 78 wins. looks like I was off by somewhere around 20 games probably more. 

3 minutes ago, Otter said:

You do make some good points.  But I think Westburg would have been consistently better offensively, defensively, and on the base paths for the entire year and thus far outweighed the nice clutch moments Frazier has had.  Also, Ortiz and Westburg are not super young prospects but in their mid twenties and were MLB ready at the beginning of the year.  Being blocked by Frazier stole a year of their ML development time.  The Frazier signing didn't make sense short term or long term.  But in Elias' defense, my guess is he was surprised Westburg and Ortiz were ML ready at the start of the season and thus saw Frazier as a means to give them more AAA development time (even though they didn't need it).

While I agree with your post and would have rather seen Ortiz and Westburg all year I don't think that it stole a year of development. It certainly delayed it but I don't think there is anything wrong with stockpiling ML ready prospects at AAA as a general rule. That is what happens when you have both a good ML club and a well stocked farm. I am not of the belief that the O's have a 40 man roster crunch yet.

You throw a bunch of guys out there and hope someone has success.  ROH is certainly doing that.  A great addition.  I'm down on Gibson, though I know he's done what he was signed for.  I really, really wanted Bassitt instead and he's been a lot better.  Oh, well.  The team is rolling so ME gets an A from me and that goes to A+ if they win the division.

Great topic and I agree with most of your grades.   I'd bump McCann up a grade,  as he's been great,  especially compared to what the backup catcher position has been the past few years.   I'd also knock a grade off of the Frazier signing for the same reasons other have expressed in this thread. 

While none of us were happy with the offseason the results have been incredible over all.  

17 minutes ago, Ripken said:

You throw a bunch of guys out there and hope someone has success.  ROH is certainly doing that.  A great addition.  I'm down on Gibson, though I know he's done what he was signed for.  I really, really wanted Bassitt instead and he's been a lot better.  Oh, well.  The team is rolling so ME gets an A from me and that goes to A+ if they win the division.

Exactly. What's the guy gotta do to get an A around here if not winning the division? Win 120? Most of the posters here thought we would be lucky to hit .500 again. 

• Upvote 1

I think Elias views all these moves and the ones at the deadline as stop gaps.   His focus is on the core young and in some cases not so young (Bautista and Cano) players that are/will be with the O's for 5 to 6 years. 

So while some of these guys have surprised like O'Hearn and Coulombe which is great, most are just keeping a spot warm until prospects move them off the team.

Elias, who is very level headed, doesn't said things to get other teams excited.   But in a recent interview with Mad Dog he said "We are just getting started"   when talking about his perspective of the current and next few years.  He says his job is to not over spend or to trade away players that are part of the O's future.  While still winning as much as possible this season.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1