ALDS First Pitch - game start time

springglen

For Saturday sounds like prediction is 1pm at the latest given Billy Joel concert next door that evening.

For Sunday probably similar timing or do they move to evening?

Anyone have insight/predictions or know when we will hear formally.  For those of us displaced fans coming in for games (with kids who have school Monday), info appreciated.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, springglen said:

For Saturday sounds like prediction is 1pm at the latest given Billy Joel concert next door that evening.

For Sunday probably similar timing or do they move to evening?

Anyone have insight/predictions or know when we will hear formally.  For those of us displaced fans coming in for games (with kids who have school Monday), info appreciated.

I'd assume Sunday would be moved later into the afternoon/evening, since only AL games are being played and not to compete agains the bulk of NFL games

Cowboys plays the 49ers Sunday Night. If TEX wins it makes no sense to play that game at the same time. Would think 4/430 start on Sunday. The Vikings play the Chiefs Sunday at 4:25. Can’t see MLB wanting to go head to head in playoff markets vs NFL. If TB and TOR win then anything goes. 

Saturday at 12/1 makes most sense. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

For what it’s worth I went back 15 years and the earliest game 1 of any division series ever started was 3:07pm 

Weren't those almost always on weekdays?

Last year the season was extended 3 days and ended on a Wednesday due to the lockout.   So the wildcard series was Fri-Sat-Sun and the division series started on weekdays.

Before that, the season ended on a Sunday in the vast majority of years, and there was one wild card game in each league, usually Tuesday and Wednesday, and the division series started on Thursday and Friday.

There may have been some exception years in there, but starting the division series on a Saturday seems pretty unique.   Also I believe most years they staggered the AL and NL to start on different days, so there were only 2 games each day, so you didn't need an early time slot as much for division series game 1.   This year the staggering is done by , oddly, giving the NL an off day after game 1 but not for travel after game 2.   So there are 4 game 1's on Saturday which to me makes one of them being early more likely.

Anyway, I don't think 3:07 is feasible.   

Someone must know... have the Ravens been selling parking passes along with tickets to the concert?   And did the Orioles sell parking passes for Game 1?   If the answer to both those questions is yes, then you know there's a problem.   Certainly both teams use lots A, B, C, and F.   And the Orioles usually use D, G, and H for big crowds.   I don't know the crowd expected for the concert but I'm sure they need most of those lots too.

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

For what it’s worth I went back 15 years and the earliest game 1 of any division series ever started was 3:07pm 

Last year... https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-playoff-schedule-2022-tv-channels-alds-nlds/m4cg6klkhlw24hqykj2vgmvq

National League Division Series 2022 schedule

All times are Eastern and are subject to change given results of other series.

Date Game Start time (ET) TV channel Result
Tue., Oct. 11 Phillies at Braves, Game 1 1:07 p.m. Fox

26 minutes ago, lifelongbirdfan said:

Last year... https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-playoff-schedule-2022-tv-channels-alds-nlds/m4cg6klkhlw24hqykj2vgmvq

National League Division Series 2022 schedule

All times are Eastern and are subject to change given results of other series.

Date Game Start time (ET) TV channel Result
Tue., Oct. 11 Phillies at Braves, Game 1 1:07 p.m. Fox

2014 game against Detroit was a noon start

I am also concerned about what time games 3 (and 4/5) will be next week. These weekday afternoon game times suck.

For this weekend, my guess is a 1pm ET start on Sat. If its TB, probably a 4pm/7pm ET start on Sun. If it's TEX, no way in **** would they put the Rangers opposite the Cowboys Sunday night. So probably looking at another 1pm, possibly 4pm start Sunday.

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

I am also concerned about what time games 3 (and 4/5) will be next week. These weekday afternoon game times suck.

For this weekend, my guess is a 1pm ET start on Sat. If its TB, probably a 4pm/7pm ET start on Sun. If it's TEX, no way in **** would they put the Rangers opposite the Cowboys Sunday night. So probably looking at another 1pm, possibly 4pm start Sunday.

Sunday won't be 1.   Fox has a ton of 1pm NFL games, they won't air baseball on FS1 against their own NFL games.

Also, the Ravens play at 1.   If Fox won't put Texas opposite Dallas, why would they put the Orioles opposite the Ravens?

We'll be in that 4pm time slot.

Yeah, 3, 4(if nec), and 5 (if nec) might ALL be in the 4pm time slot unless the Astros series ends before ours.

• Upvote 1