Playoff Game Thread

ArtVanDelay

10 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

No they can't. Texas 9-2. Bad news for the Rangers is that Scherzer is going tomorrow.

The wonderful thing about Game 7's is everybody may be going tonight.

Dusty did not get to use Pressly but did use his 5 best relievers by RosterResource's assessment last night.     Its perhaps a throw day for Justin Verlander and Jordan Montgomery, both of whom landed on 82 pitches Friday.    Astros fans might be thinking Javier, Verlander and Pressly are my pitchers, especially if Bryan Abreu ends up suspended tonight.

There is a contrast between Verlander under contract for 2024, and Montgomery a pending free agent, weighing and balancing heroism and recklessness for the top of rotation guys in this series.

One recent scenario like this, Scherzer on 10.14.2021 got a Save for the Dodgers in the finale of their NLDS to finish off the Giants (and Buster Posey's career) in San Francisco's magical year.     Scherzer 3 days previous on 10.11.2021 had gone 110 pitches.

The ensuing series, Scherzer ended up having to be scratched from Game 6 as the Dodgers were eliminated.     He threw a so-so game earlier in the NLCS against the eventual champion '21 Braves.

On 10/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, Just Regular said:

In the category of "Ouch"....

As I was refreshing on perhaps Best Pitcher in the World Zack Wheeler's pedigree as a big-time High School Arm that made it, stepping to his 2009 draft round shows that the Orioles' Matt Hobgood pick in the Year of Strasburg was....one pick before the Giants chose Wheeler.

Yes .. and how about just saying .. well that Christian Walker guy can never make it … in fairness, Braves released him in winter after claiming him, Reds signed and then released before 2017 season, then… Arizona picked him .. 3.8 WAR this season with 33 HRs 

Braves Claim Christian Walker From Orioles

February 25th, 2017 at 1:18pm CST • By charliewilmoth

The Braves have claimed 1B/OF Christian Walkerfrom the Orioles, the Orioles have announced. The O’s designated Walker for assignment last week when they acquired Richard Bleier from the Yankees.

Walker was once a well-regarded prospect in the Orioles’ system, winning the team’s minor league player of the year award after a strong 2014 season spent mostly at Double-A Bowie. He has since struggled to get much traction at Triple-A Norfolk, however, batting a decent but modest .264/.321/.437 there last season. Walker had little chance at a roster spot with the Orioles once the team re-signed Mark Trumbo this past winter.

Some of the Cuban stars have gained access unevenly, so I sometimes find I'm surprised how old/young certain players are.     Starting from Yuli Gurriel (now very old), here's how some notable stars, a bunch still chasing this year's dogpile, line up.

6.9.1984 Yuli Gurriel

10.18.1985 Yoenis Cespedes

1.29.1987 Jose Abreu      (2.13.1987 Henry Urrutia)

2.28.1988 Aroldis Chapman

1.4.1990 Raisel Iglesias

12.7.1990 Yasiel Puig

8.8.1991 Yandy Diaz

2.25.1992 Jorge Soler

7.31.1992 Jose Fernandez, RIP

3.2.1993 Adolis Garcia

10.10.1993 Lourdes Gurriel

AGE 30 DIVIDING LINE today

3.9.1994 Yennier Cano

2.28.1995 Randy Arozarena

4.21.1996 Cionel Perez

6.27.1997 Yordan Alvarez

8.3.1997 Luis Robert

13 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

I have tried to deal with the disappointment of the O's being knocked out so quickly this post-season, but damn watching the Rangers and their energy tonight makes me remember how fun going deep in the post-season can be.

You can be sure that the O's are watching too, and they are going to come back next year wanting some of that.