ALDS Game 3: Keeping hope alive

SteveA

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So who starts an individual All Star game makes someone a better player? Heim to his credit has played well. 

Not saying Heim is a better player than Adley over the course of 162 games. But if Adley is a 8/10, Heim is a 7.5/10 

If Elias plays it right and JA doesn't shoot it down, the Orioles will be back in this position again. The key is to keep knocking on the door, develop experience with the postseason. Become an habitual in the postseason and then the results will come.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

How do you do that without adding $50 or $60 million to the payroll?

If my posting track record proves anything then I am an advocate believer of adding to the 2nd lowest payroll in baseball. IMO we are not going to be able to "waiver wire" our way to a World Series. Texas has done this to us without Scherzer or deGrom. They have shown that they are not afraid to take risks and add the necessary talent to compete. I don't think we have to spend like them because of the great foundation that we already have. But we can't spend down with the A's, have the Rays surpass us in spending and then believe that we are going to legitimately contend for a title. That's hubris.

Just now, Dunk35 said:

Gunnar and Tony were all we had. Gunnar at age 22, hits .500 in his first postseason. 

Adley, meanwhile, 1-12. 

Adley is the definition of soft.  He’s a 6/7 hitter. He’s never going to put the team on his back or have a huge playoff series. 

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They are hot indeed. But I believe our pitching has surely "heated" them up.

IMO you need some good experienced vets to win in October. They have several, we have none. IMO that matters.

Conversely on the NL side the Phillies were/are "hot", but the Braves were able to steady the ship with there championship pedigree yesterday and may/probably will win that series against the "hot" team. Experience matters in the biggest games.

You can find just as many instances of teams like the Dodgers being upset by an inferior team. 
Pedigree schmedigree .. Rick Dempsey was World Series MVP .. Ron Swoboda never caught a ball like that ever .. it is who plays best for two weeks .. sometimes it is veteran stars and many more times it is the unexpected