Santander Speculation

Roll Tide

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This kind of matches what Angelos has said and the need to keep the prospect bucket overflowing in order to make the window an indefinite proposition. Miami has some good pitching … Could you get Max Meyer and a couple of other pieces?

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-could-trade-veteran-outfielder-unlikely-suitor

There is a new article from SI about the O’s and Guardians doing a blockbuster trade. Not sure Shane Bieber is a good target with the elbow injury this year, especially trading long term pieces:

Will add link

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-linked-blockbuster-trade-with-cleveland-guardians

Edited by Since1984

34 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

There is a new article from SI about the O’s and Guardians doing a blockbuster trade. Not sure Shane Bieber is a good target with the elbow injury this year, especially trading long term pieces:

Will add link

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-linked-blockbuster-trade-with-cleveland-guardians

How is a Bieber for prospects a "blockbuster"?

6 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think it depends on how one defines "has to." If his philosophy is to not let players with value leave via FA for nothing then ye, he has to and that is not an outside force. It's internal.

But I assure you he doesn't have any hard and fast rule like that that he HAS to follow.  :)

I'm certain if he doesn't get offers he thinks are commensurate for Santander, he is content to get his value by letting him play for the Orioles, and hope for the comp pick.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

But I assure you he doesn't have any hard and fast rule like that that he HAS to follow.  :)

I'm certain if he doesn't get offers he thinks are commensurate for Santander, he is content to get his value by letting him play for the Orioles, and hope for the comp pick.

Thanks for the assurance. 

I wouldn't be surprised to find that no one in the press even has an idea of who we might target or who we might be willing to give up.  No outlet that I am aware of speculated about Fuji and the only reason the Flaherty was linked to us was because literally all of the other potentially available pitchers linked to us had been traded to other teams.  At best, Flaherty was a plan C.  I think either the O's plays things very close to the vest and/or they just have their own way of doing things.  Whichever, I happy to see them continue, but I don't think the press has a very firm grip on what our plans are.

I'm not sure Santander is someone they'd easily part with.

The safe play here is to actually let Santander play out his final year and see if a QO makes sense. Meaning, the value that he provides to this team while in a winning window is worth more than if we weren’t in our window. 

This is an example of getting too cute and missing the playoffs entirely. The time to get aggressive is at next year’s trade deadline. Stay the ship. Actually spend at the deadline. That’s where Texas and Arizona won at. 

18 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that no one in the press even has an idea of who we might target or who we might be willing to give up.  No outlet that I am aware of speculated about Fuji and the only reason the Flaherty was linked to us was because literally all of the other potentially available pitchers linked to us had been traded to other teams.  At best, Flaherty was a plan C.  I think either the O's plays things very close to the vest and/or they just have their own way of doing things.  Whichever, I happy to see them continue, but I don't think the press has a very firm grip on what our plans are.

I'm not sure Santander is someone they'd easily part with.

Funny how you say no one in the media knows who Elias will target while claiming with evident confidence that Flaherty was at best plan C.

We don't know either, he might have been option one.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:12 AM, Roll Tide said:

This kind of matches what Angelos has said and the need to keep the prospect bucket overflowing in order to make the window an indefinite proposition. Miami has some good pitching … Could you get Max Meyer and a couple of other pieces?

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-could-trade-veteran-outfielder-unlikely-suitor

I loved the short bio of the author of the article. Any idea what a "seasoned alumnus" is? 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The safe play here is to actually let Santander play out his final year and see if a QO makes sense. Meaning, the value that he provides to this team while in a winning window is worth more than if we weren’t in our window. 

This is an example of getting too cute and missing the playoffs entirely. The time to get aggressive is at next year’s trade deadline. Stay the ship. Actually spend at the deadline. That’s where Texas and Arizona won at. 

That would be true if we were talking about trading Santander for prospects, rather than Major League pitching. The idea is to shift some our excess MLB talent in the outfield to improve the pitching staff.

Both Kjerstad and Cowser have earned the opportunity to sink or swim in the Majors at this point. There aren't going to be enough at-bats for both of them if all 5 of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mountcastle and O'Hearn are back next year. One or two of those 7 players should be traded (perhaps with other prospects) for pitching.

16 hours ago, Since1984 said:

Will add link

Despite the headline, the article is just referring to another speculative article with no inside sources. So the O's have only been "linked" to Bieber in the sense that a random writer thinks he might be a good fit. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

That would be true if we were talking about trading Santander for prospects, rather than Major League pitching. The idea is to shift some our excess MLB talent in the outfield to improve the pitching staff.

Both Kjerstad and Cowser have earned the opportunity to sink or swim in the Majors at this point. There aren't going to be enough at-bats for both of them if all 5 of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mountcastle and O'Hearn are back next year. One or two of those 7 players should be traded (perhaps with other prospects) for pitching.

Santander is a MOO SH bat.  He's your #3/#4 in a playoff series.  You can only trot out so many players at once in a playoff series.  9 position players, a DH, and a P.  We're not getting back a playoff level SP for one year of Santander.  So why take our #3/#4 hitter off the field for a RP?  Elias is just going to have to do better next deadline for a top end SP and bullpen help.  Taking Santa from this team does not fix what we need in a short series.  Just creates a huge hole.  

Just letting things play out with Santa might not be the best hot stove take, but it makes the most sense IMO.  Hopefully, we're in the same position come playoff time next year, and Santa has a big year getting us there, and we get the QO pick(s).  That's the best value and safest play.  IMO.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Santander is a MOO SH bat.  He's your #3/#4 in a playoff series.  You can only trot out so many players at once in a playoff series.  9 position players, a DH, and a P.  We're not getting back a playoff level SP for one year of Santander.  So why take our #3/#4 hitter off the field for a RP?  Elias is just going to have to do better next deadline for a top end SP and bullpen help.  Taking Santa from this team does not fix what we need in a short series.  Just creates a huge hole.  

Just letting things play out with Santa might not be the best hot stove take, but it makes the most sense IMO.  Hopefully, we're in the same position come playoff time next year, and Santa has a big year getting us there, and we get the QO pick(s).  That's the best value and safest play.  IMO.  

I'd much rather add to the team during the off-season and not the deadline.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The counter argument is this.  You have Heston Kjerstad whose best position is RF.  He’s ready.  He’s one of the top prospects in the game.  By the end of the year, if not sooner, he might be that #3 or #4 hitter.  He’ll make ML minimum this year.   Why not save 12M and pick up a solid reliever, take a risk betting on Kjerstad.    What might be lost going from Santander to Kjerstad is made up by the Santander trade return and the added payroll flexibility.    We have to integrate 1-2 rookies each year.  No one is going to want to start 4 rookies in 2025.  

Also, Santander went from an injury prone player to one who has played 150+ games the last two years.  His production has been very good.  Perhaps, this is the right time.

Edited by RZNJ