Melewski suggests Sonny Gray

Sports Guy

Sonny Gray makes perfect sense, I don't what it will take to secure him to a contract coming off one of his better season. Gray has only been in the $10M to $12M AAV range in recent seasons. If you can pay a little more to get an upgraded version of Kyle Gibson you do it.

Here's hoping John Angelos opens the checkbook this winter instead of whining about not making enough revenue.

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Orioles are primed to acquire one or two pitchers this offseason. There are a ton of free agents. Time for us to make a couple of big moves and usher in the position players to push us over the top. Amazing spot for the O’s to be in!

5 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Orioles are primed to acquire one or two pitchers this offseason. There are a ton of free agents. Time for us to make a couple of big moves and usher in the position players to push us over the top. Amazing spot for the O’s to be in!

You are setting yourself up for disappointment.  Assume a Gibsonish acquisition, and be pleasantly surprised if we get more.  You’ll stay more sane that way.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are setting yourself up for disappointment.  Assume a Gibsonish acquisition, and be pleasantly surprised if we get more.  You’ll stay more sane that way.  

I understand your thinking, but I really think Elias will make some bold moves this off-season. I also think the Orioles have a much greater opportunity to ink a top free agent as we clearly are a team that is on the rise. Pitchers have a short shelf life. They want to land at a team that can compete for a World Series. I also think the payroll will open up to grab one or two starters. It’s an easier sell for both Elias to Angelos and Elias to the potential free agent. I mean, look at the sheer number of free agent pitchers out there. It’s a buyer’s market for sure. Great spot for the O’s to be in, now with proven capability. I hope we nab a lefty or two.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes this is so true.  Until they actually sign a significant contract you just can’t believe that they will.  Since John Angelos has been running this team he hasn’t shown ANY indications he is willing to do so.  The statements he has made with his mouth have to lead you to believe he won’t.  Up until now you had the excuses that the Orioles were so bad even if they offered similar money to good players they may not have considered coming.  That excuse no longer exists.  If they don’t sign anyone of significance it is because they didn’t offer enough.  Elias has also eliminated the fact that good pitchers don’t want to pitch in Camden Yards.  I think most of all are not asking for a Texas like spending spree that they did the last two years either.  Just 1 or two real good players like a Sonny Gray.   You have an “owner” or the person running the team that has really no other source of income besides the baseball team.  Until that changes I don’t expect their thrifty spending to change.

Edited by accinfo

16 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Yes this is so true.  Until they actually sign a significant contract you just can’t believe that they will.  Since John Angelos has been running this team he hasn’t shown ANY indications he is willing to do so.  The statements he has made with his mouth have to lead you to believe he won’t.  Up until now you had the excuses that the Orioles were so bad even if they offered similar money to good players they may not have considered coming.  That excuse no longer exists.  If they don’t sign anyone of significance it is because they didn’t offer enough.  Elias has also eliminated the fact that good pitchers don’t want to pitch in Camden Yards.  I think most of all are asking for a Texas like spending spree that they did the last two years either.  Just 1 or two real good players like a Sonny Gray.   You have an “owner” or the person running the team that has really no other source of income besides the baseball team.  Until that changes I don’t expect their thrifty spending to change.

This is more or less where I am.  I don’t rule out that the team will make a significant move, I just see no evidence on which to expect one.   So I won’t.  

John Angelos has never had the final say on a genuinely competitive team until now, so there is no history of his decisions making tendencies in that environment.

After several seasons in the $23-45 million range during the rebuild, payroll jumped to $71 million after their first winning season in 2022. (Total payroll numbers from Spotrac)

The Orioles have a history of spending, if not generously then sufficiently, when the quality of the team warrants it.

Elias has faithfully followed the Astros rebuild roadmap so far and that map indicates another meaningful payroll increase for 2024.  I believe that's the plan he sold JA on five years ago and everything is right on schedule.

Most here agree that 2024 will be a litmus test for John Angelos, and after 2023 there really is no place for him to hide, so I think that he'll make more that a token gesture - one large enough to make a difference, and the team doesn't need all that much.  That said, if he has one superpower, it's probably his ability to not care about the Orioles fanbase, or at the very least understand it.  So I get the skepticism and I don't expect a Mets/Padres/Yankees fireworks display, but I don't see what a rigid "show me" stance gains anyone along the way.  We'll have our answer about what to expect going forward by Opening Day at the latest.

8 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

I'm not predicting that a top free agent is signed, but don't underestimate someone like John Angelos wanting to one up his father.  Winning the world series would prove all his doubters wrong.  He's just running the team.  It's still his parents' money.

Where do you think his money comes from?

31 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I don't see what a rigid "show me" stance gains anyone along the way. 

Very simple.  It’s a defense against being overly disappointed if there aren’t any needle-moving moves this winter.   That said, I’m not as desperate for offseason excitement as many people are.   I trust Elias to find ways to improve his roster even if the moves aren’t flashy.  

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I like Sonny Gray, but we need left handers to make the most advantage of the Left Field wall against right handed batters. We have too many right handed pitchers and left handed batters they face have a very short porch to the flag court.

We need good pitchers, we don't need a LH staff just because of the wall. Good pitching from either side of the plate will neutralize the wall or the short trip to the flag court.