Kiley on Os offseason

Sports Guy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/38809699/2023-mlb-playoffs-braves-rangers-orioles-d-backs-phillies-lessons-learned

The Orioles need more pitching. How will they do it?

The O's had the second-best record in baseball before being swept out of the playoffs in three games by the eventual champion Rangers. Baltimore won the American League East at least one year ahead of schedule, maybe a few, while running the third-lowest payroll in baseball with a very young core and some good luck, per their Pythagorean projected record.

Baltimore could add over $100 million in 2024 season salaries during free agency and still have the fourth-highest payroll in the division -- so there is a lot of room to grow the payroll. Still, I'd expect GM Mike Elias to focus on incremental improvements with shorter-term contracts to fill holes in the short-to-medium term. This will allow them to maintain flexibility and clear routes for young players to matriculate to the big-league team.

Luckily, the biggest need to address this winter is pitching, and that's the strength of this free agent class. I have 13 starting pitchers projected to get multiyear deals with $10 million-plus AAV and the Orioles should sign at least two, along with at least two of the 10 relievers I think will get $10 million-plus guaranteed.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have 13 starting pitchers projected to get multiyear deals with $10 million-plus AAV and the Orioles should sign at least two, along with at least two of the 10 relievers I think will get $10 million-plus guaranteed.

Yeah, not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.  

Folks on here are going to spend an awful lot of mental and emotional energy watching each big name SP tick off the board this off-season. No thanks on that. We'll get somebody, but it seems silly to speculate on anyone that commands more than 2/$24. 

I'm honestly much more interested in what they do about shoring up the backend of the bullpen. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s why he said should and not will.

Should can mean what normatively ought to happen, but might not, or "used to indicate what is probably". In the context of the preceding sentences about pitching being available I lean toward the second. If he thinks it should, but definitely won't, he could be a lot clearer about that. 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/should

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Should can mean what normatively ought to happen, but might not, or "used to indicate what is probably". In the context of the preceding sentences about pitching being available I lean toward the second. If he thinks it should, but definitely won't, he could be a lot clearer about that. 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/should

I don't think most folks that write on the Internet for a living were English majors in college.

Anyway, I'm glad to see expectations tempered around here heading into this offseason.  I agree that the Orioles SHOULD sign a starter or two (and good ones, I want Sonny Gray, for example) but I don't think that's going to happen.  I also want to see more bullpen pieces added.

I'm expecting another low key offseason with middling moves and some head scratchers.   

• Haha 1

Last year, the O's were essentially shamed with the payroll publications during the FA signing period.  Same story at the trade deadline.  Will this year's hot stove be any different?  Nah...  Not until we meet their moral standard of payroll.  There's a zealousness to journalism that stirs emotions and imaginations driving clicks and hysteria.  Whenever I read "should" (here or anywhere) I always discount it as a moral appeal.  Maybe it's true,  maybe it's not.  But there's a standard they want to see in place.

I don't think they should (in either sense of the word) sign 2 SPs.  Only 1 SP of the #2/3 variety should be signed.  They should sign 2 good RPs though.

• Upvote 1