What year do you think will be the Orioles’ peak of the next five years?

Frobby

What year do you think will be the Orioles’ peak of the next five years?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which year in the next five will the Orioles have their peak team?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/23 at 20:37

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

How are you defining peak? Wins? Win a title? Most talented?

I was wondering that as well. I hate to say it but I doubt they get to 101 wins again. But I also think there are more talented teams to come. I just expect the Yankees and Red Sox to return to good teams in the near future. And I hope there’s a World Series win (or at least an appearance) in there somewhere. 

Such a fantastic question for a thread because what other organization has the internal talent where could realistically project out the next 5 years?  

What was that Ripken senior quote?  Something along the lines of “It’s great to be young and a Baltimore Oriole.”

I'm not sure if the O's will exceed their 2023 win total in any of these years. 

Hard to match the record in 1-run games we had. 

That said, you can make the World Series with 84 wins and a negative run differential these days. I'm just hopeful the O's will make the playoffs 3-4 times in the next 5 years.

10 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'm not sure if the O's will exceed their 2023 win total in any of these years. 

Hard to match the record in 1-run games we had. 

That said, you can make the World Series with 84 wins and a negative run differential these days. I'm just hopeful the O's will make the playoffs 3-4 times in the next 5 years.

I don’t equate “peak” with “most wins.”   I think it will be very tough to top 101 wins.  Only three Orioles teams have ever done it.   But I think we will have better teams than the last one even if they win fewer games in the regular season.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t equate “peak” with “most wins.”   I think it will be very tough to top 101 wins.  Only three Orioles teams have ever done it.   But I think we will have better teams than the last one even if they win fewer games in the regular season.  

I include post season results when I think of a team's peak.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I include post season results when I think of a team's peak.

I do too, but it’s tricky.   Sometimes great teams flop in the postseason.  Sometimes mediocre teams do well.   But I think there will be O’s teams that win the AL East, do well in the postseason, have a better run differential than in 2023 and are less reliant on RISP hitting to generate their offensive numbers.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do too, but it’s tricky.   Sometimes great teams flop in the postseason.  Sometimes mediocre teams do well.   But I think there will be O’s teams that win the AL East, do well in the postseason, have a better run differential than in 2023 and are less reliant on RISP hitting to generate their offensive numbers.  

I factor it in, I don't use it exclusively.

For instance I consider the 2014 team more successful than the 2023 team.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I factor it in, I don't use it exclusively.

For instance I consider the 2014 team more successful than the 2023 team.

I'd agree they were more successful, but were they a better team?   

Regular season wins: 101 in 2023, 96 in 2014.

Post season wins: 3 in 2014, 0 in 2014.

Run differential: 131 in 2023, 112 in 2014.

OPS+: 107 in 2023, 104 in 2014.

ERA+: 115 in 2014, 106 in 2023.

I am inclined to give the nod to the 2023 team because the AL East competition was much better in 2023 than in 2014.   So, they won 5 more games with a significantly more difficult schedule.   Also, though the pitching was better in 2014, there was an element of flukiness to it.  The same pitchers were not nearly as successful in the seasons that preceded or followed that one.   

• Upvote 1