Just a Rumor

Tryptamine

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hey, anything is possible but this part should make you really question this rumor.  It makes no sense.

What I heard is they were valued at 1.1 but they went to 1.4 because old man Angelos was refusing to sell (kids have wanted to sell for awhile), and they added another 300M to get him to agree.

It was reposted in another twitter thread team is estimated to be worth around 1.6 billion. It's entirely possible that the boys could be struggling with money and may be looking to sell while the team is a known good commodity and ontop of the Carylye group David Rubenstein was trying to buy Nationals allegedly last year. I mean I'd take things with a huge truck load of salt but its possible that things are moving in a direction where the team gets sold.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I put zero credence in this rumor.  Zero.

For one thing, it was only in the last four years that MLB decided to permit investment firms to own a minority stake in a major league team.  So far as I know, investment firms are not allowed to have a majority stake in a major league team.

Now, if an individual who owns all or a large portion of the Carlyle Group, say David Rubenstein, wanted to buy an MLB team, that’s obviously permissible.  But that’s not what this rumor says.  And the part about Peter Angelo’s’ involvement in the decision is not credible.

This may add a small amount of smoke. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-24/who-will-buy-the-washington-nationals-david-rubenstein-ted-leonsis-weigh-bid?embedded-checkout=true

Just now, Oriolesfan1988 said:

It was reposted in another twitter thread team is estimated to be worth around 1.6 billion. It's entirely possible that the boys could be struggling with money and may be looking to sell while the team is a known good commodity and ontop of the Carylye group David Rubenstein was trying to buy Nationals allegedly last year. I mean I'd take things with a huge truck load of salt but its possible that things are moving in a direction where the team gets sold.

There is no way Peter Angelos was involved.  Period.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I put zero credence in this rumor.  Zero.

For one thing, I believe it was only in the last year or two that MLB decided to permit investment firms to own a minority stake in a major league team.  So far as I know, investment firms are not allowed to have a majority stake in a major league team.

Now, if an individual who owns all or a large portion of the Carlyle Group, say David Rubenstein, wanted to buy an MLB team, that’s obviously permissible.  But that’s not what this rumor says.  And the part about Peter Angelo’s’ involvement in the decision is not credible.

I can see JA selling a partial ownership more than an outright sell of the team.  

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hey, anything is possible but this part should make you really question this rumor.  It makes no sense.

What I heard is they were valued at 1.1 but they went to 1.4 because old man Angelos was refusing to sell (kids have wanted to sell for awhile), and they added another 300M to get him to agree.

Yeah, I have doubts Peter Angelos is in any kind of condition to negotiate a sale of the team. If there’s any credence to this rumor I would expect word to leak out with the owner’s meetings this week. 

If John would do something out of character like increase the payroll this off-season, I actually wouldn't mind him as the owner. Sure he occasionally says some questionable things, but you have to give him credit for hiring Elias. Smart decision there. 

• Downvote 1

The one thing credible about this rumor is that this guy has been linked to the Os before and he’s local.

It seems as if he has a desire to purchase a sports franchise and certainly would have the money to do it. 

The stuff talked about here about PA could also just be some kind of mixed messaging or something along those lines.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The one thing credible about this rumor is that this guy has been linked to the Os before and he’s local.

It seems as if he has a desire to purchase a sports franchise and certainly would have the money to do it. 

The stuff talked about here about PA could also just be some kind of mixed messaging or something along those lines.

It's possible that they are talking about Georgia and not Peter.