Rosenthal: Holt had trouble communicating with pitchers

Moose Milligan

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know exactly, but reading the tea leaves here a bit, perhaps they want Holt to use his skills with the younger prospects coming up and feel that now guys are a bit established and may not benefit as much.

Reading that also may indicate that Holt may be better at developing than sustaining. I honestly don't know, but the fact he was moved to the director of pitcher rather than fired indicates to me they just think he's more valuable in the other role.

I thought Gibson's comments were interesting as well. He said he thought everyone had his back but maybe not everyone liked him. The only situation that jumps out to me is how Grayson Rodriguez failed so miserably during his first stint with the Orioles, and seemed to get fixed in AAA under Ramsey. 

Overall though with pitchers like McDermott, Povich, DeLeon, and Baumeister having high ceiling arms, along with the fact the Orioles drafted more arms in the top ten rounds, maybe they just want him to focused on development rather than sustaining the arms that have arrived?

Grayson was sucking mega in spring training.  He came into this year horrible.  He only got called up early because injury, he didnt deserve it at all.  I doubt Holt was the problem.  

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Grayson was sucking mega in spring training.  He came into this year horrible.  He only got called up early because injury, he didnt deserve it at all.  I doubt Holt was the problem.  

I really don't disagree with you and was not trying to indicate Holt was a "problem" per se with Rodriguez. But what was clear was that he wasn't the solution for him either. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think this is a good read on what is happening with Holt and the O's pitching coaches. 

My thoughts are that Holt is one of Elias 1st hires and came with him from Houston.   They have been together for 5 years in Baltimore and Holt has shown the ability to build a good pitching staff with some of the pitchers coming right off the waiver wire.  That takes coaching talent.

I think Holt not being the O's pitching coach is Holt's idea.   Maybe its the travel.  Maybe it's the grind.    But he is holding the director of major and minor league pitching title that he had in 2019 and 2020.   I think Holt is trusted and this move is what he needs to do right now.  Maybe for personal reasons.

I suspect that Ramsey is the choice for major league pitching coach.   I think Holmes probably thought he should have been in line for that job and if he was not offered it decided he wanted to look around which the O's granted.

I don't think its certain that Holmes will not be back as assistant pitching coach.    Just have to wait and see what happens.

I see the different messaging idea from the article as bs.

I think you nailed it. Holt probably always wanted to be pitching director, but took the job to do battlefield triage. He gave us 5 years. Now he’s moving into the role he wanted. Also, we just drafted a slew of pitchers for Holt to work with, plus he can really work with Hall, Povich, McDermott, and Johnson, on becoming MLB SP.  Before we had no talent to work with in the milb, so Holt would’ve been wasted down there.  

Holmes probably thought he should be the new pitching coach and didn’t want to be #2 again. 

I trust Elias. 

18 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I personally hate the nicknames that the Orioles give people.  It seems just too cutesy for grown men.  I think it all comes from Hyde.

It's a baseball thing that predates Hyde for sure. For as long as I can remember baseball players give each other nicknames. Personally I don't use them because I'm not in the clubhouse and part of the team. And some are absolutely cringeworthy and forced.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think you nailed it. Holt probably always wanted to be pitching director, but took the job to do battlefield triage. He gave us 5 years. Now he’s moving into the role he wanted. 

To be clear, Holt was only the pitching coach the last 3 years.  Doug Brocail was the PC in 2019-20.   

Gibson’s, the veteran, who’s also a FA with a future contract on his mind really tended to be more complementary of the organization as a whole and their vision.  Didn’t really give the standard “we all love Holty” kind of quote one normally gets.  His praise was there, but measured.

45 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Gibson’s, the veteran, who’s also a FA with a future contract on his mind really tended to be more complementary of the organization as a whole and their vision.  Didn’t really give the standard “we all love Holty” kind of quote one normally gets.  His praise was there, but measured.

Came across as honest.

Holt hired Justin Ramsey.  And he has mentored and promoted him from Delmarva to Bowie to Norfolk.  Its time for Ramsey to move to the majors.    Ramsey already has a trusted relationship with several of the key pitchers on the O's staff.  

I will say again I think the Holt  having trouble communicating with the pitchers is a bunch of bunk.  This move has been planned by Holt for years.

Here is an article that explains a lot of it.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/justin-ramsey-coach-orioles-pitcher-WK3O2LRDJZGALBBYNL6NASVY2U/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hyder is what I used when my girlfriend was in my room and I heard my parents coming up the stairs.  

Man, I am almost 64 years ago and stuff like this still makes me choke on my coffee.  I guess there goes that maturity thing... again.