What are the odds that Holliday makes the Opening Day roster?

Frobby

What are the odds that Holliday makes the Opening Day roster?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that Holliday makes the Opening Day roster?

• No realistic chance
    • A very slim chance
    • A solid chance, but less than 50%
    • 50/50
    • Better than 50/50
    • Highly likely to certain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/23 at 00:50

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Adley didn't win ROTY.

OH!

You meant that he wouldn't win or finish second in ROTY voting.

I get it now.

Why didn't you say that?

BTW I'm pretty sure Elias thought he had kept Adley down long enough that he couldn't pull off his second place finish so it might not be as easy to walk the tightrope as you think.

God, you're pedantic.

I actually think they were going to start the season with Adley on the roster but he was injured and they brought him up after a short rehab with no regards to service time.

I don't think it's a tightrope that is all that difficult to walk.

IMO, they're going to give him the Gunnar treatment, where he'll come up in August and he'll get 129 ABs, or they'll keep him down to July and not worry about the rookie status but get the "extra" year.

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

God, you're pedantic.

I actually think they were going to start the season with Adley on the roster but he was injured and they brought him up after a short rehab with no regards to service time.

IMO, they're going to give him the Gunnar treatment, where he'll come up in August and he'll get 129 ABs, or they'll keep him down to July and not worry about the rookie status but get the "extra" year.

You think think what you want but I know.

1. Adley didn't get called up the prior September
  2. Adley wasn't added to the 40 man roster
  3. No statement was made declaring him a lock for the OD roster
  4. When his MiL rehab ended he was sent to Norfolk

I think Elias sent him to Norfolk to try and game his clock and it backfired.  Would that have been the plan if he had been healthy?  The possibly was certainly there.  My personal belief is, that in a season he didn't view as being competitive, he would have rather had the seventh season than gamble on the draft pick.

Anyway, yea, I was just messing with you because you were lazy in your wording.

I did expect that you would have figured out what I was doing without my having to tell you.

Edited by Can_of_corn
cleaned up wording.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No way Holliday is in the minors until August unless he has injury issues or the performance sucks. If he keeps up the pace he was last year, he will 100% be up much earlier than that.

I don't think Elias builds his plans around that draft pick. 

Even with strong contenders it's far from a lock.

We can debate the timing of Adley’s call up until we’re blue in the face.  I tend to agree with Pickles, but who knows?

The team is not in the same position as in 2022.  That team wasn’t expected to contend, this one is.  I think service time considerations have far less weight for contending teams, when even one extra win could decide a division title or a wild card berth.   In that situation, you bring guys up when you think they’re the best alternative to help the team.  When will that be for Holliday?  Beats me.  That’s for Elias to decide.  

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Elias builds his plans around that draft pick. 

Even with strong contenders it's far from a lock.

Correct. The thought that he will make decisions based on potentially getting a player that helps us 3-5 years from now is a bit much.

He pushed him through the minors fast. He’s not going to all of a sudden halt that. 

He has a better chance of making the OD roster than he does debuting in mid to late August, again assuming health.

39 minutes ago, Pickles said:

God, you're pedantic.

Wow! Pedantic?  OMG.   You nailed it!

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

We can debate the timing of Adley’s call up until we’re blue in the face.  I tend to agree with Pickles, but who knows?

The team is not in the same position as in 2022.  That team wasn’t expected to contend, this one is.  I think service time considerations have far less weight for contending teams, when even one extra win could decide a division title or a wild card berth.   In that situation, you bring guys up when you think they’re the best alternative to help the team.  When will that be for Holliday?  Beats me.  That’s for Elias to decide.  

I hope it's for jackson to decide. If he hits, he gets called up. Personally I would hold him for the extra year no matter what. Staying relevant, longer is the goal right? 

4 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

I hope it's for jackson to decide. If he hits, he gets called up. Personally I would hold him for the extra year no matter what. Staying relevant, longer is the goal right? 

I thought the goal included at least one ring.

Is the goal just avoiding irrelevancy for as long as possible?

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Correct. The thought that he will make decisions based on potentially getting a player that helps us 3-5 years from now is a bit much.

He pushed him through the minors fast. He’s not going to all of a sudden halt that. 

He has a better chance of making the OD roster than he does debuting in mid to late August, again assuming health.

Exactly, playing at 4 levels of the minors in 1 year is not being "slow rolled".  Elias could have easily adjusted Holliday's promotions so he only made it to Bowie the last couple of weeks.  Then he would open 2024 in Bowie for 2 months and be promoted to Norfolk for the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought the goal included at least one ring.

Is the goal just avoiding irrelevancy for as long as possible?

I would hope the goal is win a ring. I would like to see consistent winning and a string of playoff appearances. Winning a WS takes a bit of luck as well. How often does the best team win?

In Holliday's case, a couple more months on the farm, certainly won't hurt his development. (I am strongly taking into consideration, this organization's poor track record with extending its players)