Santander for Bieber

Sports Guy

Santander for Bieber  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Santander for Shane Bieber?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This topic makes me want to go compare Santander's switch hitting statistics with Eddie Murray's. Switch Hitters that can produce like that don't grow on trees. And the teams that have them, usually win more than the other teams. (I.E. Rangers.)

The Rangers won it all because of Jonah Heim?

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Because one of the main reasons to deal Santander is to open up RF for Kjerstad or Cowser.   Signing a FA to replace Cowser is the opposite of what they should do.  I hardly went ballistic on you.

Fair enough. But it's certainly not a crazy question to wonder who might be a proven run producer (not necessarily a RF) who can provide Santander's run production?

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Fair enough. But it's certainly not a crazy question to wonder who might be a proven run producer (not necessarily a RF) who can provide Santander's run production?

I think you’re too hung up on Santander’s production.  Westburg should improve.  Kjerstad/Cowser will replace some of it.   Holliday may, essentially, replace Urias bat.   There are places where we can improve even if Kjerstad/Cowser don’t hit 30 homers and knock in 90.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

D) We've seen from the playoffs this year that experience matters. The moment was too big for our inexperienced players. This means that ideally, you would want to retain what accumulative experience that you do have (and acquire more experience). More experience can be acquired by playing the young guys, but then you would have to wait longer for their development and the odds of them having a Jeremy Pena type of rookie post season are very low when compared to other rookies in the history of the game. A mixture of experience and youth on a roster is usually a good formula for success.

Did you watch Evan Carter in the postseason?   Did you watch Jeremy Pena last year?  I reject any idea that the O’s lost because they were inexperienced.  They lost because they were outplayed on three particular days in October 2022.

I’ve seen 20 year old Jim Palmer pitch a World Series shutout, followed by 21-year old Wally Bunker and 23-year old Dave McNally doing the same.  I saw 25-year old rookie Mike Boddicker and 21-year old Storm Davis win World Series games  (Boddicker also was ALCS MVP).  

Experience helps.  Switching Santander for Bieber would just switch a couple of spots in which we have more experience.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think you’re too hung up on Santander’s production.  Westburg should improve.  Kjerstad/Cowser will replace some of it.   Holliday may, essentially, replace Urias bat.   There are places where we can improve even if Kjerstad/Cowser don’t hit 30 homers and knock in 90.  

By naming those players, you're counting on guys who haven't proven a damn thing. The O's are a 101 win team that actually needs to improve in order to take the next step. In subtracting one player (Santander) you would be losing 28 HR and 95 RBI. I have no clue whether Kjerstad or Cowser can rise to the occasion.  

By naming those players, you're counting on guys who haven't proven a damn thing. The O's are a 101 win team that actually needs to improve in order to take the next step. In subtracting one player (Santander) you would be losing 28 HR and 95 RBI. I have no clue whether Kjerstad or Cowser can rise to the occasion.  

We won 101 games because of guys like Henderson, Bradish, and Bautista, among others, who hadn’t proven a damn thing 1-2 years ago.

• Upvote 2

But... they certainly didn't give me any confidence that there is still more to be proven. 

That’s because you are greatly overrating a very small sample size and ignoring many other things.

The thing I don’t understand about Os fans (and I’m saying this in general, not about any one in particular) is how we praise Elias for what he has built. We drool over the farm system and the glowing reports about it…and then when it comes time to bring them up or if they don’t immediately produce, we want to toss them aside and forget all of that.

It makes no sense to me. You either believe in these guys or you don’t.